PDA

View Full Version : I have a problem.....?????

stever250r
05-27-2008, 06:44 AM
I started noticing transmission oil blowing from my crankase vent the last time that I rode. I thought I had just overfilled the crankcase so I didnt really pay it much mind.

I went riding yesterday and made one lap and I could feel the top end start to get tight and lose power from overheating....... it started to seize.

When I checked my water level.. uh ohhhhhhh.... no coolant left in the radiator. I still noticed oil blowing from the crankcase vent so I went ahead and drained the transmission.....thats where I found all of my coolant.

What seal would cause my coolant to end up in the crankcase/transmission?? Mechanical Seal???

After i let the bike cool for 1 hr... I added water and new oil and it kicked over fine and started right up. Im not sure how much damage I may have done to the top end.. but it sounded fine after it cooled.

Can anyone tell me what my problem is and your opinions on whether or not I should go ahead and tear the top end off to inspect for damage from overheating it...

86 Quad R
05-27-2008, 07:06 AM
go ahead and replace the oil and mech seals. ya may aswell change the bearing while in there.

what was the compression before the overheating?

stever250r
05-27-2008, 07:18 AM
I havent done a compressiong check since the complete rebuild of the engine. I will check it today and see what its showing... I think or I am hoping that I may have got lucky.... the Nikasil bore might have saved my arse on this one.

trx310R#24
05-28-2008, 01:11 AM
i overheated mine one time an had an still have after 2 or 3 years 200psi an i race it an run it hard im trying to burn up the piston but i cant:cool: i guess i have a good piston lol i opened it up a week ago to look at it an its 100% good a lil black but whatever lol