PDA

View Full Version : 400ex Timing

CGriff
05-26-2008, 11:13 AM
Hey there guys just got my 400ex motor back together and I was wondering about the timing. I had the timing mark lined up on the flywheel and the the marks on the cam sprocket lined up perfect, but I'm still worried its not timed perfect so my question is if it wasnt timed properly would there be any symptoms befor you actually ran it? Like by turning the crank and feeling for binding and so on?

BigBore24
05-26-2008, 01:17 PM
if its a couple teeth or more out of time it will hit a valve when you turn the motor by hand. if you have all the marks lined up right and it feels ok when you turn it by hand then id say your ok

CGriff
05-26-2008, 06:07 PM
So what your saying is it would be noticable if it was out of timing when your crank it by hand. If it was hitting a valve then you wouldnt be able to turn it any more?

BigBore24
05-26-2008, 08:06 PM
yes, the piston would hit a valve and the crank would stop turning. but ive had mine jump one tooth and it still ran, just sounded and ran awful. crank it around by hand first a couple revolutions then fire it up you will notice if its out