PDA

View Full Version : Valve adjustment ?

sprayedgt
05-25-2008, 09:25 PM
I few weeks ago I had to take my '08 400EX to the dealership for a broken spark plug that they installed wrong. Long story, summed up, they put the wrong plug in. Anyway, they admitted fault, took care of the problem, drilled the old one out, tapped the threads and everything is good now. They took the head off to do the work. So my question is do I need to have the valve readjusted since the head was removed? I already did this with the 1st service, that's when they put the wrong plug in.

NacsMXer
05-25-2008, 09:39 PM
As long as everything is timed correctly (which it should be if they know what they're doing), you should not need to adjust the valves. Adjusting them is needed as parts wear between regular maintenance intervals.

BigBore24
05-25-2008, 11:05 PM
i would recommend adjusting valves anytime the rocker cover and head is removed. they should have done this at the dealership....but then again if they cant install a spark plug right they might not be up for a valve adjustment. if you dont hear any difference in the valvetrain and it runs fine id say your ok

sprayedgt
05-26-2008, 06:48 AM
It runs perfect. I just hear the valve train ticking. Not sure what's normal on these engines because this is my first one. Only had it 2 months and did the mods in my sig. Man did it wake this thing up and turn it into a wheelie monster!

Bill Fuller
05-26-2008, 08:20 AM
If the valves are ticking take it back. Anytime the valve cover is moved or loosened the adjustment has changed. Actually I would learn to do it myself, this is as simple of a job as it gets on a ATV especially the Honda 400ex.

sprayedgt
05-26-2008, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by Bill Fuller
Actually I would learn to do it myself, this is as simple of a job as it gets on a ATV especially the Honda 400ex.

I'm getting a repair manual today. I could do a valve train adjustment on my Mustang with my eyes closed. But this ATV stuff is all new to me.

NacsMXer
05-26-2008, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by sprayedgt
I'm getting a repair manual today. I could do a valve train adjustment on my Mustang with my eyes closed. But this ATV stuff is all new to me.

If you can do it on a stang, then this should be a piece of cake for you. It should not be ticking, sounds like the valves are indeed out of spec.