PDA

View Full Version : what is the e clip and c clip?

dirtdawg
05-25-2008, 06:29 PM
what is the e clip and c clip? what do they do and how do you adjust the e clip because in the performance thread it talks about positions, like 4th and 5th and etc.

Honda10
05-25-2008, 07:07 PM
I am pretty sure the c-clip will determine how far your needle sticks into the main jet. And the way you adjust it is by taking a pair of plyers and pulling the clip off of the the needle, then just slip it back on the position you want it on.

dirtdawg
05-25-2008, 07:17 PM
what are the positions though? is it like how many turns in or out or something?

Honda10
05-25-2008, 07:40 PM
The further up you move the clip the less the needle sticks in the the main, the further down you move the more it sticks in the main. I am not sure witch one is leaner or richer.

ryanh250ex
05-26-2008, 08:58 AM
c-clip and e-clip describe the same part.

I dont know what year you have but on my '02, if i pull the seat off, and lift up the rubber flap, it exposes the carb. if you unscrew the top of it, the slide will come out with it, and in there is the jet needle (not to be confused with the needle jet) and on the jet needle is the e/c clip.

on the jet needle , again depending on the year, there should be multiple notches on it. what notch the clip is on will affect mainly part-throttle tuning, but in my experiences can occasionally affect idling quality too.

In order to access the e-clip, you'll have to compress the throttle spring, get the metal "ball" out of the slide, and remove the white "top" piece that holds the e-clip and jet needle in its respective place. BE CAREFUL, as the top piece can be a nightmare to put back on.

the closer you set the notch to the bottom (i.e. the pointy side), the more fuel you are adding. the further away you set it, the leaner your bike will run- It should already say that in the FAQ.

Just take your time, and you'll be fine.

dirtdawg
05-29-2008, 08:25 PM
my needle only has 3 grooves.

Honda10
05-30-2008, 03:57 PM
my only has three slots too, just take the advise I got from ryan 250ex and buy a K&N jet kit off of rockymountainatv.com it comes with main jets and a new needle with more clip slots. My kit come in monday, I will post what I think of it.

dirtdawg
05-30-2008, 07:49 PM
how much is that now? i've spent so much money on my quad(s) recently, with the addition of a 99 blaster. i'm kind of tired of pissing money away. no, i'm not taking it out on you i'm just saying. would it run ok if i left it on the third slot from the top and let it run like that? i'm getting a used full system hmf very soon so i'm curious.

Honda10
05-30-2008, 10:37 PM
well here is what I did first,I bought the HMF full system, K&N filter and outerwears. Then I bought individual jets that were to big and the three slot positions wouldnt fix it. So instead of keep guessing why not take peoples advise and buy a kit that has everything and will work for sure. The k&N jet is $48 by the way, cheapest jet kit i have found. That is just what I did. if you want to try buying individual jets and see if thats alright go ahead and it saves you 20 bucks and I recommend you buy main jets 105-112. It is your deccission.