PDA

View Full Version : Maximizing clearance for XC on a 450r - cool parts and pics

quad2xtreme
05-25-2008, 05:17 PM
First of all, thanks to Colby at C&D Racing for his XC experience and hooking me up with the necessary parts. The goal was to get rid of the factory skidplate without going to another full skidplate that reduces clearance.

1) Glann Innovations rear chain guide. The guy is a fanatic when it comes to OCD...he is extremely meticulous. Not only does this piece use the two stock bolt locations on the side of the swingarm, but he includes an aluminum piece that bolt to the bottom of the swingarm too. It give you four bolts holding the actual chain guide and 3 bolts holding it to the swingarm. There are no moving parts on this piece which makes it great for XC.

2) LSR sprocket guard. This is a quality piece that is easily installed. The sprocket guard itself is threaded so you torque the bolts down then install the factory nuts without the washers as a precaution.

3) LSR stainless steel brake rotor guard. This is about 1/6 the size of the factory skidplate.

4) Colby's Secret Magic plastic. Helps strengthen the LSR stainless brake rotor by forming a perfect mold to the swingarm. You heat this stuff up in the oven at 475 degrees for about 15 minutes (and it won't stink up your house at all). It will go from being a very tough white plastic to extremely pliable and clear all the way through. You then put it on your swingarm (you need to have predrilled your own holes so it will fit over the two factory bolt holes in your swingarm before heating) and then tighten down the rotor guard. It will flatten out the plastic and make a perfect fit between the brake rotor guard and your swingarm. This is really going to help keep the brake rotor guard from bending. Once it cools, it goes back to being white. This is the same material used to make chain guards and chain sliders.

5) Another piece of the plastic to put along the top side of the rotor guard in case the guard does bend at all. The rotor will hit this plastic first and you won't have metal to metal contact.

Pictures to follow...

quad2xtreme
05-25-2008, 05:29 PM
Picture of the LSR sprocket guard...

It comes in 2 sizes. Even though the quad has a 39 tooth rear sprocket, I still opted for the guard designed for a 41/42 rear sprocket.

quad2xtreme
05-25-2008, 05:32 PM
The Glann Innovations rear chain guide...

quad2xtreme
05-25-2008, 05:33 PM
Another...

You can see the two bolts go into the side of the swingarm. The other two bolt into the aluminum block that bolts into the bottom of the swingarm. Shouldn't have to worry about anything getting between the chain and the sprocket now...and no moving bearings to wear out in this piece.

quad2xtreme
05-25-2008, 05:36 PM
one more...

quad2xtreme
05-25-2008, 05:38 PM
This is the Lonestar brake rotor guard...

quad2xtreme
05-25-2008, 05:43 PM
Heating up the "Magic Plastic" in the oven. Notice how you can see that it isn't quite ready yet since the inner part is still "white".

Note: I already cut the plastic to size to fit the brake rotor guard and drilled the two holes to fit over the two bolt holes that protrude on the swingarm... The idea is to sandwich this material between the swingarm and the brake rotor guard to make a perfect fit. This will really help keep the guard from bending.

quad2xtreme
05-25-2008, 05:45 PM
This is how it looks after I quickly took the material out of the oven, put it on the swingarm, installed the brake rotor guard, and then tightened it down.

quad2xtreme
05-25-2008, 05:46 PM
another...

quad2xtreme
05-25-2008, 05:48 PM
This is the long, narrow piece for protecting the rotor from hitting the guard should it bend at all...

I heated this piece up and then clamped it in 3 places to the brake rotor guard until the plastic rehardened.

quad2xtreme
05-25-2008, 05:50 PM
Looks like this now...

quad2xtreme
05-25-2008, 05:51 PM
final...

quad2xtreme
05-25-2008, 05:52 PM
another...

The spinning sprocket guard should help propel the quad should my wife get stuck on a log or rock. Colby and I were toying with using a 44 tooth sprocket instead of the Lonestar sprocket guard so it would actually have teeth that would bite into a log or rock. Perhaps a SideWinder sprocket would hold up to this type of abuse...not sure though. If you were spinning the tires over pretty hard when you hit a rock, it might just shear the teeth right off.

quad2xtreme
05-25-2008, 06:03 PM
Now, I need to get more of this plastic to fix my 400ex skidplates. I have the same problem with them bending around the two protruding spots where the swingarm skidplate bolts to the swingarm. I've tried using flat steel and having the skidplate strengthened but form fitting with this plastic is the trick.

jteeter1
05-26-2008, 09:19 PM
how do i get a hold of the sprocket side guard not the lsr disc? Second how do i get that plastic i have been wanting to do that but do not have an idea how to get material?

quad2xtreme
05-26-2008, 09:23 PM
Not sure if anyone makes a sprocket side guard like the brake rotor guard. Guessing at this point they would just fill in the middle with metal and make it a full swingarm skidplate.

Call Colby at C&D Racing and see if he can hook you up. He is one of the site sponsors.

hasley
05-27-2008, 12:49 PM
if i heard john right i think he's making a chain guide that will help clean the sprocket of mud when using rock rings. i am using one of his chain guides right now no problems yet.

quad2xtreme
05-27-2008, 01:04 PM
another pic of the chain guide...I think this one is more durable for XC than say a TM Designworks because it doesn't have any moving parts and bolts to the swingarm in more places. I wouldn't go without this and just use a rock ring because I would be nervous about a rock or stick coming between the chain and sprocket and pulling the chain off.

fultz416ex
08-23-2008, 12:08 AM
did you use the stock sprocket bolts? have you had any trouble when them backing out?

08-23-2008, 11:51 AM
I got the same set up, when I was putting it on, I learned one thing. LSR is to cheap to kick longer sprocket bolts. Notice in the picture, those nuts are not all the way on. I used a torque wrench and followed the actual honda manual's torque reccommendation and it stripped the nut clean out because it isn't catching all the threads. Definitetly looking into longer bolts. I mean, those nuts are supposed to be lock nuts, see the little clamp things on the top of them? Those are supposed to be over the threads otherwise it doesn't work.

DEERCHOOPER
08-31-2008, 05:25 AM
very nice.

wouldnt, couldnt rocks and stuff get inbetween the chain guide and still end up in the chain guard when your all the way out on your adjustment?

quad2xtreme
08-31-2008, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by Prodigal
LSR is too cheap to kick longer sprocket bolts. Notice in the picture, those nuts are not all the way on.I mean, those nuts are supposed to be lock nuts, see the little clamp things on the top of them? Those are supposed to be over the threads otherwise it doesn't work.

This is true. I used a good deal of locktight and have been fine so far but I would like to get some longer bolts that are tapered. They make a double ring setup too so they must supply longer bolts for that. Mine have enough thread through that nothing is going to strip. My threads are very close to those little locking tabs on the nut.

quad2xtreme
08-31-2008, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by DEERCHOOPER
very nice.

wouldnt, couldnt rocks and stuff get inbetween the chain guide and still end up in the chain guard when your all the way out on your adjustment?

I won't argue that a rock couldn't get in anywhere especially if you are digging up pea gravel in a creek bed. I have no fear of a trail stick or rock getting in there though. That white blob of plastic is super strong and has survived numerous trips already to Rock Run in PA, Burning Rock in Beckley, WV, Carolina Adventure World in SC, Majestic Trails in PA, and Hatfield McCoy. The setup is amazing. I want to put this setup on the 400ex quads next.

DEERCHOOPER
08-31-2008, 08:31 AM
your using hdpe for the plastic, i use the same. i know how it holds up.

gt thunder makes a sprocket guard as well for both sides. you can just get the outer one or both.

tchonda426ex
09-04-2008, 01:57 PM
Where did you get the chain guide and for how much? Thanks

quad2xtreme
09-04-2008, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by tchonda426ex
Where did you get the chain guide and for how much? Thanks

Purchased through C&D Racing (Colby). It is a Glann Innovations product. Honestly, I don't remember the price. It lists for $60 on GI's website but Colby's price was a little lower.

09-04-2008, 07:11 PM
Ever consider lubing your chain...it might be wise. Unless your letting the rust eat it away to shave some weight off.

quad2xtreme
09-04-2008, 07:57 PM
Doubt I will lube it much. I am doing some secret testing. I just replaced my stock chain on my 2006 (production #343) a few weeks ago. If you look closely, you will see that same rust on the skidplate bolts and the rubber brake line too.

stumpleg
09-05-2008, 08:05 AM
Here is the guide that goes in between the dual guards. I dont think he has to many in production right now, still in the test phase.

KILLAQuad
09-05-2008, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by stumpleg
Here is the guide that goes in between the dual guards. I dont think he has to many in production right now, still in the test phase.

Does it only mount with the 2 bolts in the Swinger ???

quad2xtreme
09-05-2008, 10:40 AM
If it is like mine (and it appears to be the same design), those two allen bolts screw into a piece of aluminum that is then bolted to the bottom of the swingarm. Check back to page 1 of the thread for the pic I posted for more detail.

/Jon

stumpleg
09-05-2008, 12:16 PM
It mounts like quad2xtreme said. Two bolts through the swinger. Then the two allen heads bolt to a billet piece on the underneath that is bolted to the bottown where a skid plate bolt would mount.

KILLAQuad
09-05-2008, 01:26 PM
It still looks Shakey to me ... I have broke ever single chain guide i have ever put on my quads in XC .... So i doubt i will ever put one of these one for when they break off they like to get wedged between the chain and sprocket as well .... :huh

stumpleg
09-05-2008, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by KILLAQuad
It still looks Shakey to me ... I have broke ever single chain guide i have ever put on my quads in XC .... So i doubt i will ever put one of these one for when they break off they like to get wedged between the chain and sprocket as well .... :huh

Yes, that had me worried as well. I havent raced as much as I had liked to this summer. I did get one race in on it and numerous practice runs with some friends. The one race it did a great job of keeping mud from collecting on the chain and discarding up by the front sprocket, like the dual guards are notorious for. I did have some, but not near as much if I didnt have it on there. I also ran with it through alot of rocks lately and didnt notice any problem.

Scro
09-05-2008, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by KILLAQuad

Agreed...I tried running a poly chain guide once before and it was demolished after one race.

quad2xtreme
09-05-2008, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Scro
Agreed...I tried running a poly chain guide once before and it was demolished after one race.

Which brand and how was it architected? Did it have any moving parts? How did it attach to the swingarm?

One thing I can tell everyone, I run a stainless steel skidplate on the 400ex with a 1/4" steel reenforcement plate and still bend it. I have to take it off after every couple of trips to Hatfield. I've run the crap out of my wife's 450r there and haven't had any problems with the 1/2 skidplate bending or with the chain guide coming off. I am thrilled with this setup but I guess if it breaks off and causes the chain to snap and that messes up the Moose engine protector and the engine case cracks then I will be upset and go back to a full skidplate. In the meantime, I am just tickled pink with this setup and the fact my wife doesn't get stuck nearly as much resulting in my having to pull and tug her quad.

DEERCHOOPER
09-05-2008, 05:29 PM
took 9 months for some one to do all most the same as mine, but mine is adjustable and will allways be tight with the inner guard and keep it clean. even when you adjust the chain or it wears down.