PDA

View Full Version : better lights?

Grant1699
05-25-2008, 12:03 PM
anyone know a good light kit or new bulbs for my 07 yfz. they just dont seem bright enough stock.

Grant1699
05-25-2008, 07:36 PM
anyone?!

sparky73
03-12-2009, 01:48 PM
Bump. I am interested as well, but for an 06.

rooster300ex
03-12-2009, 02:15 PM
replace your stock lights with a trail tech lighting kit.

yamahaman623
03-12-2009, 05:33 PM
try Xexon Blue headlights. they are a brighter but they are a lot for a bulb. i had them on my 05 yfz

GPracer2500
03-16-2009, 11:37 PM
What rooster said.

I replaced the stock stator with a 100w unit from Trail Tech (http://www.trailtech.net/). It gets rid of the AC system and runs everything off DC power. Then I added a Trailtech SC4 HID light (the 40w version). They're not giving that stuff away at ~ $400 for the light and stator. Plus you have to fab a mount for the SC4. But I'm very happy.

The SC4 is just awesome. It's nearly pointless to run the stock lights at the same time (I'm running 35w bulbs from RickyStator). The SC4 blows them away by so much that it doesn't really help to even turn the stockers on. The 100w stator should run a pair of SC4's (with the stockers off) and then you'd really be turning night into day. I mean, then you'd be in Baja race lighting territory.

I also (sometimes) run a pair of MR11 HID helmet lights and would recommend those too. I've got buddies that run the MR16's and they are also excellent.

There's only so much you'll be able to do with the stock stator. The YFZ stock stator is a split system. 70w AC power is produced for lighting. The DC circuit produces nominal power used only for ignition and battery charging. So about 70w of incandescent light (halogen, xenon, krypton) is all your gonna be able to run (those types will run off AC or DC). The aftermarket bulbs that advertise 35w=55w (like the PIAA's) is bull, IMO. I've used them and wasn't impressed at all. A little better but I think the $60 you'd spend on a pair of those is better saved towards a genuine upgrade.

If you must run the stock 70w AC lighting system and want noticeably more light, it's hard for me to imagine anything but an 8" race light would be significantly better. Big reflectors DO make a difference. But for what that would cost (aesthetics could be a factor too) , you might as well switch over to DC power and run HID's. HID needs DC power--they won't work on AC.

For about $300 you could upgrade the stator and get a single, bar mounted MR16. That'd give you the stock lights and the MR16 to run. Plus, you'd have enough DC power to upgrade your HID lighting in the future and forget about running the inferior incandescent type bulbs.

Or you could just buy a Raptor and have 120w of DC power stock. :blah: Then all you'll need is HID lights.

FYI, to provide a sense of what wattage means with HID lights vs. incandescents: my MR11 HID's are 13w each. The pair of them is better than a pair of 35w incandescent lights (the stockers). HID's are a couple times brighter per watt then incandescents.

$0.02