PDA

View Full Version : Rookie question

budman1
05-25-2008, 08:51 AM
Rookie question I'm sure. I got my 07 400ex at Christmas. This is the first 4 stroke I have ever owned. After break in I only use Honda syn oil for every oil change.

Question is when I ride on the weekends, there is a track that i spend a lot of time on. I feel I'm constently in the upper RPM's. (Having a blast) Is there any long term effects on the motor or am I just worrying about nothing?

Thanks everyone

gcart2
05-25-2008, 09:26 AM
Its a 400ex dude. you bought the most reliable 4 stroke there is. ride hard, ride fast, have fun.;)

NickG5755
05-25-2008, 02:57 PM
if the high rpm's are scarin ya you can try gearing it higher... go up a tooth on the front (the front sprockey being changed will make a hugeeeee difference never change more than one tooth at a time) the back sproce isnt as sensitive.. youd have to go down 3 teeth to equal 1 tooth on the front

going up in front gears it higher this means if you need to be at liek 9,000 rpms in 5th to do 60 (i know thats off) being geared higher you may only be at 8,000.. but in turn your top speed will be increased.. it will take a little longer to get to that speed (esp with a stock motor)

and its just the opposite if you go down up front your RPM's will be higher at any given speed but your exceleration will be greatly improved...

sprockets are cheap but if you mess around and eventually find a setup you liek ....get a new chain using an old chain wilth new sprockets will wear eachother out veryyy quickly

hope this helps... lemme kno if you need clarification on anything as my typing can be pretty confusing sometimes

chains are kinda like breaking in a motor.. after that first couple hrs you adjust them (kinda liek valves) and then after that you dont have to do it so often..