PDA

View Full Version : sore thumbs and extenders...

tri5ron
05-24-2008, 09:32 PM
I have a question about thumb throttle extenders.

My wife was complaining that her thumb/hand hurts after about 90 minutes of riding.

Now admittedly, she is a VERY novice rider. She rides a '03 250EX, and dosent go much past 3rd gear. She dosent jump, or slide, and just climbed her first small hill last weekend.
Heck, She still feels a little apprehensive in soft sand, which is the main reason I sold her trail 90, and got her the quad!

I asked her if she would prefer a twist throttle, but she declined. She does not have much strength in her hands, and says that she feels more confident with the solid grip and thumb throttle.

So what are your opinions on the Assist/Extenders for the thumb throttle lever?
I've seen a few comments where people said they have tried them, didn't like them, then removed them.
But I havent found anyone saying that they have used them and LIKE them.

Bill Fuller
05-24-2008, 09:37 PM
I never really liked the throttle extenders, but I DO like the Honda 90 thumb piece. It is about a half inch longer than the 250ex and will make a difference in thumb fatigue.

tri5ron
05-24-2008, 09:42 PM
what is the honda 90 thumb piece?

Bill Fuller
05-24-2008, 09:44 PM
On the handle bar throttle assemby, it's the piece you push with your thumb. A very common upgrade to many 450's for the extra leverage. Complete bolt on all stock Honda parts.

05-24-2008, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Bill Fuller
On the handle bar throttle assemby, it's the piece you push with your thumb. A very common upgrade to many 450's for the extra leverage. Complete bolt on all stock Honda parts.

Haha it's like trying to tell someone what the color red looks like.

tri5ron
05-24-2008, 09:55 PM
O.K. ,I looked a couple of them up on ebay.
do you unbolt the thumb lever, and install it on the stock 250ex throttle assembly ?,
or do you just replace the complete 250ex thumb throttle assembly with the 90 assembly?

Scottt89
05-24-2008, 10:48 PM
Unscrew the cap on the throttle housing, there is probably a nut in there, undo that, take off the pulley it is probably holding on, and the thumb lever should fall right off. Slide your new one in and put it back together.

Flyin-Low
05-25-2008, 03:32 PM
Look into a Terry Cable E-Z pull throttle.. Been working awesome for me.