PDA

View Full Version : Reliability

07trx400ex
05-24-2008, 06:53 PM
Have their been any reliability problems with these so far?

Also, how would you guys compare the 450xc with can-am ds 450?

honda300EXtreme
05-24-2008, 07:20 PM
i dont own one, (i wish i did :p ) so take it for what its worth

so far these quads seem to be holding up well, i havent heard too many complaints, so it doesnt seem like there any major issues currently,

but these quads are too new to know any long term reliability issues.

now this is my opinion, i would say that the ktm is superior to the can-am, i have been hearing too many horror stories about these things..

realbadlarry
05-24-2008, 10:34 PM
No issues with my 525 yet. The motor(s) in the KTM quads are pretty much out of the bikes. They have been extremely reliable in the bikes. Don't hear of many failures of these motors, mostly water pump seals and occational starter gears. I know a couple of people who put 15k miles on dualsported 525s with no issues at all. The Can Am is a much newer motor, with the growing pains to be expected from these. It all comes down to what you want and like. Both quads are pretty spectacular and won't dissapoint you at all. Get out and ride.

05specialeditio
05-25-2008, 12:09 PM
Well, I am going to post my experience so far w/ 2 brand new KTM XC 450's. Purchased first one in December, drove to a different State to buy. #3 week in, we lose a bottom end. I had called my dealer after first oil change and let him know I found alot of metal in screens.2nd oil change performed by dealer, 2 days after that we lost bottom end. January we purchased 2nd quad to build a race only quad. Race #1 in Glen Helen we lose top end in quad #1. Quad at dealer 3 weeks, time for another race, dealer says he will deliver but never does, night before race send my girlfriend and son to New Mexico to pick up quad. Dealer will not warranty charges approx 1200.00 for repair. Next night motor runs great for approximately 20 minutes, then dies in mid air on a 100 ft. table almost crashing my son! Turns out cam gear fell off either no loctite or never tightened. Call dealer and talk to owner,he is a jerk about the fact that his repair lasted 20 mins. Wait a minute I have $20,000 in KTM's and he is a jerk to me??? Call KTM customer service and they contact dealer. He is willing to stand behind his failure, but I am not willing to let him. I have already made about 7 trips to New Mexic for quad problems and I am sick of being treated like crap!!Meanwhile race quad motor is done so we start racing quad #2 w/ built motor, a-arms, and shocks. Currently we have an electrical problem we cannot fix, missed a race last night, and KTM #1 is not fixed yet! So ask me if they are reliable and I would rather burn them than look at them, unfortunately I invested all my $ in these and am stuck with them until another manufacturer offers us a ride!! With the help I have recieved from KTM so far, I would switch to Yamoto for a full ride!!!

JM317
05-25-2008, 12:36 PM
No issues with my 525 so far. I have noticed that CanAm's factory teams have had several DNF's due to mechanical failure this year.