PDA

View Full Version : stage 2 vs. stage 3

hypersnyper6947
05-24-2008, 12:21 PM
So i just got my stage 2 hotcam in and i was wondering if i should have gone with a stage 3 instead. I was wondering the differences between the 2. My mods are listed in my signature. I think i should still be able to trade it in for a stage 3.

HondaRaceReady
05-24-2008, 02:19 PM
I heard stage 3 was for stroker kits, but I rode a 400ex stock bore with one and it ripped.

krt400ex
05-24-2008, 03:33 PM
stage three is designed for strokers. it allows them to pull further into the top end..or at least this is what i have been told. i myself do not own a stroker. i wouldnt think that you need it only if you are running a stroker...you can run them in stock bore bikes. i think that hotcams designed them to match the power output of a stroker engine better than a stock bore or overbore only EX

Ruby Soho
05-24-2008, 03:45 PM
i have one in my 440, ive never ridden a stage 2. but i can tell you one thing, it rips.

hypersnyper6947
05-24-2008, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by krt400ex
stage three is designed for strokers. it allows them to pull further into the top end..or at least this is what i have been told. i myself do not own a stroker. i wouldnt think that you need it only if you are running a stroker...you can run them in stock bore bikes. i think that hotcams designed them to match the power output of a stroker engine better than a stock bore or overbore only EX

so you suggest that i keep my stage 2?

Honda#4
05-24-2008, 09:38 PM
I would keep the stage 2

hypersnyper6947
05-25-2008, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by Honda#4
I would keep the stage 2

sounds good to me

MOON
05-26-2008, 02:42 PM
Yeah I would also stay with the stage 2, I've had all three. Stage 1 is for smaller bore engines and provides a good boost low-midrange power. Stage 2 is better suited to 440's and gives a noticable low end boost, packs a midrange punch & lets the powerplant rev out nicely. Stage 3 is for riding WOT most of the time as it only makes good power at high rpms.

Hondamaster5505
05-26-2008, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by MOON
Yeah I would also stay with the stage 2, I've had all three. Stage 1 is for smaller bore engines and provides a good boost low-midrange power. Stage 2 is better suited to 440's and gives a noticable low end boost, packs a midrange punch & lets the powerplant rev out nicely. Stage 3 is for riding WOT most of the time as it only makes good power at high rpms.

ughhh:rolleyes:

Why does everyone always say that's what the cams are designed for, when they're NOT.

Look up hotcams website. They clearly state:

Stage 1: single-cam motor. Excellent midrange and top-end power increase. Not recommended for big bore applications over 426cc. Uses stock valve springs and rockers. *Does not use auto-decompression mechanism.

Stage 2: single-cam motor. More top-end power than Stage 1 with midrange gain. Uses stock valve springs and rockers. *Does not use auto-decompression mechanism.

Stage 3: single-cam motor. More top-end power. Designed specifically for Hot Rods big bore stroker kit. Uses stock valve springs and rockers. *Does not use auto-decompression mechanism.