PDA

View Full Version : breaking chains???

JIM GRACE
05-24-2008, 10:32 AM
Im starting to feel like an apex owner, either breaks the chain or chain comes off..

If i set the chain adjustment where i think it should be he tells me he can here
the chain clanging.. set it a litte tighter and he breaks the chain. not by jumping
last night was in a turn..

We just put the ztr tensioner on facing towards the front and I don't think
it has enough tension.. anyone try it towards the rear, i think that and a
new sprocket might be the trick..

drx 70 with the round (old) swing arm. this is staring to take the fun out of it.. all opinions would help..

brandon's dad #55

Nichols Atvs
05-24-2008, 12:26 PM
DOnt Adjust the chain with the wheels off the ground put the quad on all fours. Make sure when you are done . push all the way down on the rear, that its not to tight . Sounds to me it was to loose coming out of the corner. If your rear sproket is worn it dose funny things also .I have seen a loose chain taken off by rocks, sticks, mulch and grass .hope this helps. never ran the tensioners back ward but give it a try and give us a full report on it.

forgiven
05-24-2008, 01:09 PM
If you have the old style swingarm you need to really evaluate if it is bent. Even a slight bend near the shock mount will do that very thing. Taking your wheels off will give you a better perspective on the swingarm.

JAG Motosports
05-25-2008, 08:15 AM
I agree about the sprocket and swingarm. Check those. We have had the same problems in the past. But our problem ended up being a cracked/broken frame (yes, frame was gussetted already!). Take off your seat and gas tank and check the frame real good. After weeks of the chains breaking or coming off I finally started tearing it down and that's when I found the breaks in the frame.

jd100879
05-26-2008, 06:26 PM
Marc @ Hot Quads runs the ZTR Tensioner backwards. There are two different springs included with each ZTR Tensioner that way you have 20 different configurations for mounting. Hope this helps.

sldhd700
05-28-2008, 08:32 AM
I run the ZRT tensioner on Shaydens bike with it mounted backwards. It seems to work OK! I wish the spring was a little stiffer though. Does anyone know if they have a stiffer spring for these units?

Shayden Housley #39

jd100879
05-28-2008, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by sldhd700
I run the ZRT tensioner on Shaydens bike with it mounted backwards. It seems to work OK! I wish the spring was a little stiffer though. Does anyone know if they have a stiffer spring for these units?

Shayden Housley #39

At this time there is not a stiffer spring available but it may be an option if there is sufficient interest. As more and more interest grows with the bigger quads for the ZTR Chain Tensioner then a stiffer spring may have to be introduced due to the larger chains and increased H.P.

Thanks,

riding4fun
05-28-2008, 08:58 AM

Shayden Housley #39

Hey Paul, can you post a picture?

BTW, we might see you in Fillmore this weekend.

Darrell

bulldogfallon
05-28-2008, 10:43 AM

Shayden Housley #39

Does your tensioner have the adjustment slots to help increase spring pressure?

There was an initial release with only 1 setting and the newer version has a couple of slots to help with the tension setting.

sldhd700
05-28-2008, 11:51 AM
The tensioner I have does have the holes for adjustment. Iactually kooked it on the outside past the last hole to make it a little stiffer. I did find tht it gave me coil bind on the spring though.

Hey Darrell hope to see you guys this weekend have you gotten Zachary s bike back yet. I saw it when I dropped Shaydens off last week. I ll email

JIM GRACE
05-28-2008, 05:12 PM
sound's like we will give it a shot facing it toward the rear sprocket,
where i think the problem is coming from anyway..
i'll post our results on monday when we get back (wildwood)
hopefully it work's this time or it's going in the ocean.:grr:

just kiddin:D

brandon's dad #55

JIM GRACE
06-02-2008, 06:19 PM
well the chain stayed on and mounting it backwards worked well
and kept tension on the chain..also a new chain and sprocket helps..

brandon's dad #55

sldhd700
06-02-2008, 06:30 PM
Well talk about luck!! We didn t break a chain this weekend but the master link fell apart when we were rolling Shaydens bike in the garage lastnight after racing Saturday and Sunday.

Hey Darrell it was good to see you guys again. the kids really had a good time together hangin between races. See ya next month.

Shayden Housley #39