PDA

View Full Version : 250ex clutch question

mxdad316
05-23-2008, 11:56 AM
I have a 2001 250ex that I bought and rebuilt. When I bought it did not run but I got a pretty good deal. I replaced the crank and piston, and some chassis bearings. It runs and rides great... but it shifts hard. I replaced the primary clutch (Cyntrifugal)with a new assembly but I did not replace the change clutch. I did file the notches out of the clutch basket, but I saw no visible wear on the plates and friction discs. It does not slip, but it feels like it never dis-engages when you shift. Other atv's I've owned felt like they were in nuetral when the foot shifter was held up, as if the clutch was dis-engaged. This one shifts instantly and is sometimes hard to get back in nuetral.So here's my question. Is this normal for these bikes or is something in the clutch not working right? I just want to make sure everything is like it should be before I give it to my Daughter. Any advise is appreciated.

dirtdawg
05-25-2008, 01:41 PM
mine feels like its in neutral when u pull the shifter up..that's how i do my burnouts, so most likely it isn't right.

mxdad316
05-26-2008, 07:23 AM
I found the problem.Turns out I had adjusted the clutch backwards. Once I read the manual I realized I was supposed to turn the adjuster counterclockwise until I felt resistance, then go back in a quarter turn. I guess I turned it clockwise to begin with by mistake. It shifts great now. Thanks for the reply.

dirtdawg
05-26-2008, 08:18 AM
your welcome. now have fun!