PDA

View Full Version : need help with fresh engine rebuild

JIMFROMTEXCO
05-23-2008, 08:29 AM
Ok i noticed my base gaskets were leaking. when i first got it running i had 170 psi and no leaky gasket. now i got ruffly 155psi. it will only start up and stay running for a few seconds then it fowls the plug. would leaky base gaskets cause this?

another thing i argued with my father about is spark plugs. once there fouled there garbage right? he seems to think i can throw them in my blast cabinet and clean them off.

250Renvy
05-23-2008, 09:12 AM
I don't know about the motor, but if you have a fairly fresh plug and it gets fouled, you can clean the carbon off and keep using it.

I don't know about a blast cabinet, but I used to re-use plugs by just cleaning them off with an electronic spinning wire brush wheel, but I'm also talking about plugs that have only been used for a couple hours not months.

Aceman
05-23-2008, 10:05 AM
First, leakdown test your engine. You need to be sure it's sealed.

Fouled plugs can be abrasive blasted to clean them. Or if they're freshly fouled with fuel you can use a torch to burn it off.

JIMFROMTEXCO
05-23-2008, 11:27 AM
the base gaskets leak... would this cause my problems?

JIMFROMTEXCO
05-24-2008, 01:36 PM
anyone?

skyhighatv
05-24-2008, 07:25 PM
could it be a bad main seal on the clutch sided,maybe sucking crankcase oil and fouling?

machwon
05-27-2008, 08:22 PM
The base gaskets won't affect your cranking compression. The leaking base gaskets will affect the jetting and cause other problems if you have an air leak. I'd start with a new plug gapped at .020". For the $2-3 on a new B8ES I'd skip the cleaning stuff. It's not worth my time and I've never had any luck doing it. The jetting shouldn't change from just a rebuild unless you have changed pipes/porting, etc.