PDA

View Full Version : seat cover mounting

troybilt
05-23-2008, 07:03 AM
Anybody done this themselves? This sucks!!!!!
:grr: Any tips that someone can provide?

EDIT: I think you need the patience of a saint!

Aceman
05-23-2008, 10:07 AM
I'd probably bite the bullet and just take it to an upholstery shop. They have the proper tools and an industrial stapler. They should be able to get it wrinkle free too.

dustin_j
05-23-2008, 10:38 AM
I just got one off ebay that was stitched to fit my 400ex. It had good instructions with it, that I used, and it turned out well. What I did:

Line up the front of the cover and staple with 1 or 2 staples. Next, stretch (tight) to the rear, line up, and staple with 1 or 2 staples. Then use a hair dryer to heat up the cover so it is easier to work with. Pull the cover tight to the bend/corner of the seat and staple; do this on both sides. Finally, start at the front and work your way back. Use the hair dryer as you go to keep the cover compliant. Hope this helps and isn't too confusing.

It really helped that the cover was fitted/stitched

Creech52
05-23-2008, 11:24 AM
I would agree with ace, if its really that frustrating, Id take to an upholstering shop where they can do it right. If you wanna do it yourself, take dustins advice. Take your time and use a hair dryer. Also you might want to try a few diff. types of staple, I went to lowes and bought some aluminum super duty staple gun and the staples would barely penetrate and fell out easily. I ended up ditching that and using a pneumatic staple gun with smaller staples. It worked better but I still didnt get some of them sunk as deep as I would like. I sort of rushed mine and it ended up with a few wrinkles, still not that horrible.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r12/fakingdeath52/banshee/S4020699.jpg
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r12/fakingdeath52/banshee/S4020698.jpg

troybilt
05-23-2008, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by dustin_j
I just got one off ebay that was stitched to fit my 400ex. It had good instructions with it, that I used, and it turned out well. What I did:

Line up the front of the cover and staple with 1 or 2 staples. Next, stretch (tight) to the rear, line up, and staple with 1 or 2 staples. Then use a hair dryer to heat up the cover so it is easier to work with. Pull the cover tight to the bend/corner of the seat and staple; do this on both sides. Finally, start at the front and work your way back. Use the hair dryer as you go to keep the cover compliant. Hope this helps and isn't too confusing.

It really helped that the cover was fitted/stitched

I'm gonna take mine off and retry this weekend. I didn't think of using a hairdryer. Good idea. I've got it on there with no wrinkles, but after I mounted it I noticed its not quite centered. I'm a perfectionist so stuff like that gets under my skin...

Thanks for the help.

timritchieblue
05-23-2008, 12:59 PM
goto walmart get a electric staple gun 1/2, 3/8 staples, and a heat gun, works great