PDA

View Full Version : ride report and new shock and motor update

hanzito
05-23-2008, 12:02 AM
well between my son and his buddy vinnie my sons poor little atv is now well broke in. the two jokers managed to blow out both front shocks, break two rear fender supports, one heel guard, and one foot peg tread, tear the darn seat cover, and destroy the rear fenders. The good news is that my sons new elka shocks arrived today in the mail just in time for tonight at mtn home track.

well the weather look intimidating and after yesterday at PV my sons atv need some love. My son and his buddy were taking turns yesterday running 5 laps a piece and then switching off on my sons typhoon. they burned up two tanks of fuel yesterday. I got my sons new elka shocks in the mail this afternoon, so i brought them to the track with us since i didnt have enough time to put them on as i am in the middle of rebuilding the new quad i bought for the woman. We got to the track a littel early so i decided to slap on the font elkas since my son blew out his stock fronts yesterday. Man that was the ticket. he likes it and they work much better now. Now he can really jump the piss out of it now, today he was jumping so hard that he nocked his seat off going through the rythm section. Now as for me and my quad. During my 4 session on the track i suffered a mechanical failure. I was trying ot get over the second double int he rythm section and kept beating hte hell out of my self and the quad coming up short and casing. well the pounding finally took its toll. I snapped both bolts that hold the ac prog peg relocated peg mounts to the frame. So i think all i will have to do is easy out the broken bolts and put new ones in. my sons buddy Vinnies bike didnt fair so well. his 2008 crf150r fell over in the trailer yesterday during transport and bent the gear shifter up into the side of the motor. Breaking a quarter size hole in the flywheel cover and dumping its oil all over the traler floor. and putting the bike down for the weekend. which is why he and my son were sharring the typhoon yesterday. I guess vinnie will now be running my pitster pro for the weekend.

Also last sunday my son burned down his gpx 125 with 146 BBK. So i had to scramble and get the new crate gpx 160 out of my pitbike that i put in last week so he would have a motor for this weeks two nights on the track and this long memorial weekend. We are going camping for 4 days.

My son loves the new 160 motor. he said it pulls awsome. its kinda funny when he pulls back up the the trailer after coming off the track wehn he forgets to pull the clutch lever in and only pulls the brake in. the typhoon will sit there and spin the rear tires at idle sitting still. its funny because my son is trying to figure out why it isnt dying. he used to pull up and just dump the clutch sitting still to kill the motor instead of using hte kill switch. Now the motor just keeps running. I think i will have to regear it soon he has a 12 on the front sprocket and i think a 38 on the rear. what ever the smallest front xr50 sprocket was i could find and teh biggest xr50 rear i found at the time. either way he loves the new motor and for some reason it is easier for him to kick start himself.

double d 1
05-23-2008, 05:00 AM
other than a few mishaps it sounds like everyone is doing good. i keep tossing around which motor to get my son for his typhoon. i dont want to go over 150cc. i thought about a 140 lifan with porting and a cam from ahp or maybe the new lifan 150. what kind of pipe are you running with the gpx? is that a klx type head? my understanding is that if you go with the honda type head the pipe will bolt right up, but the klx type pipe has a differant bend and you have to fabricate a differant mounting system. keep us informed of youre next riding adventures, its fun to read other peoples storys about this sport.

hanzito
05-27-2008, 12:30 AM
i used the stock gpx 160 pipe. it bolted right up. i had the slide the clamp up on the muffler to line up with the existing mounting hole. and yes it is a klx style head.

we spent the weekend out at the nearby sand dunes and my son really loves the new motor. looks like i am going to have ot buy a new motor for my pitbike. i dont htink he will let me have my motor back.

i really licked the gpx 150 motor while i had it. i liked it better than the 160 motor because it wound up faster then the 160 motor. so for my pitbike i thinki will go back to the 150 motor and for my son let him keep my 160 motor in his typhoon. but i will definetly have to regear it for the new motor.

ml450r
05-27-2008, 02:39 PM
How did he "burn down" the GPX motor, I was thinking of buying a Gpx 140 for my son's Typhoon. Good idea?

Thanks
Did you get standard travel elkas or the long travel rear?

I am trying to get standard 13" fronts and 10" rear. I was just wondering what you thought.

hanzito
05-27-2008, 11:04 PM
i think the gpx 125 jsut got to hot and ran low on oil. not exactly sure i am goingo ttearinto it this weekend and will report back what i find. A far as buying a gpx motor. i have been very happy with them. I will however not buy any more from Pitster pro which is who i had previously been buying them from. The owner Garry and i had a discussion via the telephone and he exercised some very horrible customer skills. and i am still waiting on parts that were supposed to be in my order over 2 months ago. As a mater of fact he tried to send me a lifan motor the first time i ordered a yx150 and then tried to convince me the gpx and lifan were exactly the same but the lifan is 50 dollars cheaper and dosent come with the good one piece oil lines and the dress up kit wich is exaclty why i ordered the gpx motor int he first place. So after i called him on it and waitd 2 and a half months to get the right motor to say the least i was not happy when i had to warranty the motor in the first 3 minutes of running it becausse the crank seal was leaking and then come to find out the crank alignment key way for hte flywheel was smashed. and then had to wait another 2 months and then ultimately ended up paying the upgrade fee to switch to the 160 motor because they had it in stock. so long storry short i am done with pitster pro and will buy my motors from ogm or another source from now on. but when the motor is installed and running i love it.

and i prefer the 150 over the 160 only because the 150 spins up fster. my son likes the 160 because it is more torquey motor.

as for the shocks i bought azextremes set up. and love them. i think the fronts are 13 and the rear is 14 with a modified swingarm.. waiting to have time to put the swing arm on. but love the front end so far.

ml450r
05-28-2008, 05:47 AM
What is the difference between OGM 140 and the GPX 140? Are they the same mopor?

double d 1
05-28-2008, 06:20 PM
planetminis.com has everything you need to know about the chinese/taiwan motors for anyone interested in these motors.