PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever sunk there quad? Whats the worst thing you have done to it? Did it run?

awj8074
05-22-2008, 09:22 PM
Who has sunk there quad? I've done it twice now with no issues. 1st time i was alone and went thorugh a tunnel under the highway and when i came out the other side the water went from 4" to almost 6feet i was almost over my head when i jumped off. Lucky it was summer though so i wasnt stuck frezzeing my *** off. Anyway the quad took a few qicks to start and water shot out of the exhaust the 1st time i kicked it. By the 5th kick it was running again and I just let it idle for a few. I jumped off before it went all the way under then it kinda floated and the seat never went under so nothing got in the airbox since I run it with no lid. Guessing no water made it all the way through the exaust into the engine since it started.

The 2nd time was in the begining of march. I was out with a friend and we found a new trail and one section turned into a giant swamp and we could see the trail on the other side with no way across. So i walked out about 5 feet and it was only 2-5" and all rocky so i though i was good. Well I guess a side stream flows in from the side and had dug the ground underwater out. It dropped off to about 4 feet and i was allready on my knees leaning over the back so it wouldnt spin that much when i flet the quad leaning over forwards and to the right. So once again I bailed off and was up to my waist in water and it was only 30 degrees out. This time though it seems nothing had happend to the quad but my dumb *** turned around and went to ride out and found another hole and this time it went under and stalled. After about 15 minutes of standing in the water freezing fighting with the quad i got it out and the airbox was full of water. I dumped it all out and started the quad but it would only idle. I touch the gas and it dies and I had a long way to go to get out of the woods. So after messing with it for a while i was like "i'm freezing tow me back to the road and go get my truck". I hooked it up with the towstrap to the back of my friends Warrior lol and we started going um nope he just sat there and spun rolf. after fighting with the quads running next to it (i had a torn ACL so that wasnt easy) we got out of the woods about 40mins later. Anyways once we got my truck and i got home my brother walks over slams the throttle a few times then starts it right up no problems at all. Guess something must of gotten stuck in the carb but damn this thing seems to be bullet proof.

I cant wait to get back out and ride since its been sitting for 2 months now. Had my ACL replaced on 3/26 and I should be good to go in about a month. I have been starting it ever so often and riding around the yard and still no issues. Gotta change the oil but thats about it.

the Z Man
05-22-2008, 10:01 PM
I had 2 friends sink their 450r's, after oil changes adn a good cleaning they were fine....
For about a few months, then both of them lost crank bearings...

awj8074
05-22-2008, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by the Z Man
I had 2 friends sink their 450r's, after oil changes adn a good cleaning they were fine....
For about a few months, then both of them lost crank bearings... Wait now i'm scared cuz a month after the 1st time my crank bearings went but it was covered by honda cuz of the 05 crank bearing issue. Now i'm scared it wasnt the honda issue and maybe it was my fault. Everyone wondered why i had maybe 50 hours on the quad before they went but it never clicked in my head that maybe it was from sinking. Still no water got in the engine (as far as i can tell) so i hope thats not the issue. If it is then I guess its time to upgrade a few parts lol

05-23-2008, 03:41 AM
i guess i can say i drove one under water lol it was like 4" of water then all at once it was 5 feet i just hit the gas an it kind of drove out the hole thing was under water i dont know how it was still running nothin ever happin

SHIFTx450
05-23-2008, 09:30 AM
yup. i done it. riding over ice, and fell through.. jumped off and was chest high in icy cold frozen *** water.. took a few hours and i got her runnin again with no problems... about 6 oil changes and half a can of wd40 and i was good to go.. youll find that later on as you go workin on your bike, that water has oxidized just about every single bolt on your bike, but qive em a squirt of penetrating oil as you go and you'll be good..

i stood the bike on end, disassembled the airbox, took apart n cleaned the carb, drained the oil, and changed it numerous times, took the plug out and just hit the starter lol that was the funny part.. the water came out like it was shot outta cannon.. took the exhaust out n dumped it.. and reassembled.. took some coaxing and got her started and rippin again.. HONDA!!

KD 450
05-23-2008, 01:56 PM
Ive never sunk mine, and I dont plan on it. lol

Flyin-Low
05-23-2008, 02:09 PM
Mine is the worst I think lol..

Well back in the day when I had the good ol' 400ex I was down with a few people in some mucky crazy trails kinda near my place. We made it down this impossible to climb, root covered, rocky, muddy crazy steep hill to the very bottom of a about 200 foot deep gully when we found a creek. It was the only way to the other side of the trails and no body wanted to try it! So I figured I'll give it a shot, but first test to see how deep it is.. About 3 feet in it was only maybe a foot deep so I figured it would all be good. Wrong choice.

Three quarters of the way across it dropped and the quad sunk.. Handlebars were completely submerged and the quad was dead. I jumped out and the quad floated back up so we grabbed it, pulled it on the ground and tipped it on it's grab bar. Water poured out of everything, so we tipped it back over and figured we'd have to get it out somehow so I tried starting it and it didn't even come close.

The guys ended up finding their way out after about an hour of looking, and I was left winching the quad up 200ft of muddy tree covered gully with two other guys for 4 straight hours.

I got the quad home, drained and cleaned everything and changed the oil three times.. I got two rides on it before the engine was trashed. Ended up buying crank bearings, connecting rod, piston, rings, timing sprockets, timing chain, 2nd and 3rd gears, oil pump, etc..

Good times lol.

TheBlasterMan
05-25-2008, 06:06 PM
I sunk mine one week after i got it. Drove it home, parked it for the night.

Next day i changed the oil 7 times until it wasnt milky.

ran great for 2 years, i just rebuilt it last month, everything looked ok inside.

Main issue with swamping is hydro locking it.

just change the oil until it isnt milky, Then for added insurance ride it for half an hour then change again.

yamadog
05-28-2008, 08:58 PM
the first day i got my 450 me and my friends were ridin next to the neshaminy creek and there was a tree fallen over the trial....the only way 2 get round was to go through the creek, so of course i was the first one to attempt it...at first the water only came up to the headlight and i thought i was ok then it went all the way to the throttle ...so i just gunned it and luckily kept goin...i changd the oil twice after that and havent had any problms yet? knock on wood

blacknblue#2
05-29-2008, 01:31 AM
I sunk my MX quad about a month ago being stupid and i regret it every weekend. We were at a track playin around and it has a creek beside it. I told my buddies i was the only guy they know that would kick ace on the track and pull off and play in the mud all on the same quad lol. So i go down on the creek bank, pull in and just drop off. i took it home changed the oil and drained everything but ever since it wont start with the starter. The starter will turn it over but it wont hit. and i can roll it 5 ft and pop the clutch and it purrs like a kitten. i still cant get it fixed but its about to become a kick start.

Honda4lyphe
05-29-2008, 02:59 PM
I deal with this a few times a week, simple things to remember is to keep it running and keep your breather up (on a 400 you have to keep the left side of the gas tank above water) if you do that, its all good. Just really keep your exhaust up, if its that bad dont let anything get into your breather and try to keep it running..