PDA

View Full Version : my 86 250r does not have a chain roller, do I need one?

adam833
05-22-2008, 09:14 PM
I see some quads with them and some without them. Should I get one? Do I need it? If so stock or aftermarket?
thanks
http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/ebargaincell/quad3.jpg

Motofool250r
05-22-2008, 11:03 PM
well first it would help if you told us which one you were missing the one on top or bottom of the swingarm in the front or close to the rear sprocket.

chain rollers are the ones by the counter shaft sprocket and are only there for when you are at full extension or full compression of your shocks to prevent the chain from slapping the frame.

unless you have an extended length swingarm there is no need for a chain slider unless you ride in very harsh trails without a skid plate to protect the chain from being derailed.

i have a +3 inch longer swingarm from 87 length so +4 from 89 length swingarm, and i dont have any problems running no chain rollers or sliders.

trx-r#34
05-23-2008, 06:46 AM
The 250R has a chain roller that is located on the sub-frame and a rub block underneath the countershaft sprocket. I would definitely run the roller with your MX setup. TM designworks makes a nice roller that has a raised lip to keep the chain running true and sealed bearings instead of a bushing.

86 Quad R
05-26-2008, 07:47 PM
you could always go your local skating rink and buy used wheels for like 2.00 each and in any colo you want.:cool:

timritchieblue
05-26-2008, 11:01 PM
mine didn't have one either, just a stud with no roller. i got mine off of flea bay for $14 shipped, i thinl it was like a 32mm

SuperChris
05-27-2008, 06:58 PM
Use the roller, they're cheap. More important is getting a case saver on that bad boy! I have fixed countless cases because of that little overlooked piece.