PDA

View Full Version : New to GNCC and DRR

mmsoup
05-22-2008, 04:55 PM
Hi all, my family and I have been riding in WV for some time and Brian Buckannon at ATV Parts Plus in Beckley has us sticking our toe in the GNCC. Our kids are going to be in Sparta on their new DRR's and we want to make certain that they have fun first and foremost and get a chance to learn how to compete in this forum. Our son is 8 and will have a DRX 70. He is coming off a LT80 for the past couple of years and our 11 year old daughter is trading her 250EX for a DRX 90LTD
These are new quads and I would appreciate any support or input that could be offered to make this a successful endeavor for these guys.

Nichols Atvs
05-22-2008, 06:56 PM
This forum is full of answers ask away or search it up . Good luck on racing and just have fun

bulldogfallon
05-22-2008, 08:35 PM
Keep your air filters dry ....A wet filter can ruin a day

Bring some extra filters too

Keep us posted

Frame guards aren't a bad idea either depending upon the terrain.

mmsoup
05-24-2008, 01:26 AM
Thanks for the input, where can I get some extra filters and what oil is recommended. I currently use Klotz on all my stuff.
Where can I get the armor for these DRR's and are there any other issues to watch out for. The 90 is stout and the 70 surprised me as well.

humboldt hills
05-28-2008, 01:34 PM
Welcome to the GNCC family. We have raced the last 4 rds. There are about 4 drrs that go with us.
The one and only thing that has cost any of us this season is water getting in the air filter.
We use 2 different methods to remedy the problem, along with some great guidance.
First, every gncc this year has been a muudy one for the miniatvs, and guess what? Its supposed to rain saturday!

First explain to your riders that they cannot blast into a water hole! Even with all the water shields in the world on the atv!

Second, find some flexable plastic, some zip ties, and some ingenuity.
You will want to put a wall up, vertically under the front fender.
Its hard to explain, but it will run from the front of the nerf bar, up under the head light and all the way out to the edge of the fender.
Don't use any kind of slightly bigger cylinder to go around the filter, and don't try to run any crazy long snorkle tubes. The one that comes with the newer drrs is ok though.

The learning curve on figuring out how to keep the water out is a long one. Even when we thought we had it wooped, we watered out in TN GNCC. Other than that,

A few other things to look out for is;
All the bolts in the rear end like to come loose.
we duct tapr the 2 axle bolts together and run some tape around the axle where the threads for the axle bolts are at. That way if it comes loose, it won't come apart.

Loctite the sprocket bolts
MAke sure the adjuster bolts are tight.

Hand shields are nice to keep the debris off their hands.

Practice with your kids.
Explain what bottle necks are. Stay back 10-15 ft so they can at least have a chance to get around. But sometimes they will have to get off and help the kid in front get out b4 they can go anywhere. This happens more at the end of the race.
When they get to hills, if its muddy, keep some space between them and the rider in front of them. BEing from WV, your kids can probably climb some pretty good hills, but not if the trail is blocked.

Practice there starts. Give them the 10 seconds signal, then raise the flag and they take off. I send my kids around a couple cones about 50 yards apart.

Walk as much of the course as you can. Especially the first mile or so. The start is so important if you want run up front. Get behind a cpl kids that fly in the fields, then just put around in the woods and the leaders will be gone.

Always have them looking for new lines. You never know when you might need them.

MAke sure to keep it fun. The courses are almost 5 miles. Thats a 11-15 minute lap, which is a long time for a young kid to be out riding away from mom and dad.

One last thing, be sure to read the rules for machine classification.
Depending on what has been done to the 90cc LTD, you may have to run modified.

HOpe this helps!
Let me know if you have any other questions.

mmsoup
05-28-2008, 07:34 PM
Thanks so much Humboldt. We are seriously considering bring them out in KY this weekend. Our local ATV parts guru is bringing his nephew out this weekend for his first round as well.
We will be in the ATV Parts Plus pit. Look for the CAN AM #220 of Brian Buckannon (It is his nephew) We will try to keep an eye out for you guys. Any guidance or moral support will be appreciated. We are most concerned with the kids enjoying the weekend and getting a chance to participate.
Thanks for the tip on the shields. No time left to get it done unless I get a break but definitely by Yadkinville.

humboldt hills
05-29-2008, 06:37 AM
You better find the time. Its looking more like rain than ever.
Pick up a rubbermade trash can, a drill with a bit, and some scissors. CAll me when you get there and I will get them on.
740-649-1674