PDA

View Full Version : WTB coolant???

two85atc250r's
05-21-2008, 06:54 PM
I picked up this stuff called hyper lube and it says you can mix it with straight water for racing applications. Supposed to make you run 20-30 degrees cooler. I was gonna just use this and distilled water. Is this a good idea? Has anyone else tried this stuff? What are yall running in your R's for coolant? Thanks guys.

Iliketogofast
05-21-2008, 06:57 PM
I use Maxima Coolanol. I've been meaning to test it and see if it actually makes it run any cooler but right after I got my vapor computer it blew up. Once I get back up and running I'll buy some different coolants and run a test vs. car coolant and just straight water, and I'll post a thread.

bushwesl
05-21-2008, 07:31 PM
I run Engine Ice coolant. You don't mix it with water at all. Just pour it in and go. It supposed to be better... Although I guess I haven't seen any solid proof that it is. It's piece of mind if anything.

two85atc250r's
05-21-2008, 07:46 PM
Yeah I saw the engine ice at the bike shop but it was like 30 bucks for a jug of it. This hyper lube stuff I got was like 6 bucks and I was just wondering if it was any good.

Aceman
05-21-2008, 08:00 PM
I use Engine Ice myself. I started using this coolant the same time I installed an aftermarket rad, temps dropped but I don't know how much the coolant factored into it.

Never heard of the Hyper Lube. Check the label to make sure it's safe for an aluminum engine and see what the freezing point is. One reason I run Engine Ice is it's good down to -26 degrees I believe.

two85atc250r's
05-21-2008, 08:38 PM
I checked the label and it doesn't say anything about use on aluminum engines. Now yall got me worried, maybe I should have just bought the Engine Ice and not tried to be so cheap. lol. That stuff was just dam expensive compared to this other stuff. But I bought it at the auto parts store and not the bike shop. Is it critical that it is compatible with aluminum engines? What's the difference?

wilkin250r
05-21-2008, 09:13 PM
Water Wetter is good stuff. I use it with distilled water.

I've written the same information many times over, and I don't feel like writing it again. So read this (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=328242) thread.

I did some research on water-cooling several years ago, I was designing a water-cooling system for network servers.

I don't know about that "hyper lube" stuff, I've never seen it, but it sounds like it's basically the same type of product as Water Wetter. I know the Water Wetter works, and (if mixed properly) it will run cooler than Engine Ice.

But the Water Wetter does not provide antifreeze protection. Me, personally, I run Water Wetter in the summer, and Engine Ice (or Maxima Coolanol) in the winter.

two85atc250r's
05-21-2008, 11:02 PM
I have read your posts about the water wetter stuff and am convinced that this hyper lube is pretty much the same thing. It provides no freeze protection but that is not an issue for me. It is compatible with antifreeze if you want to use it together but it says you can mix it with straight water for racing applications. It claims it contains special wetting agents which lower the surface tension of the coolant.
It doesn't specifically say it is ok for aluminum but it does say it can be used in any water cooled engine, even racing. I would assume that means its fine for the aluminum? I haven't put it in yet but after hearing about the water wetter I feel better about using it.
Does the water wetter specifically say it is compatible with aluminum engines? This is really my only worry. Thanks again Wilkin.
Also, what ratio do you mix the water wetter at?

You can check it out if you are interested at www.hyperlube.com