PDA

View Full Version : Easy, cheap upgrades for my car.

L0w3r55
05-21-2008, 06:42 PM
Allright, just so you all know. I do not plan on racing my car or being showcased in the next fast and the furious movie. i just want better sound and power out of my car. I was thinking about getting a flowmaster and a cold air intake for it. would this make much of a difference? Also, i dont plan on having this car more than until the end of october because i really would like a 4X4 ranger. any help is appreciated, lectures about how car racing or being a rice burner are not. Like i said, im not a racer, especially in a breeze?:macho

L0w3r55
05-21-2008, 06:44 PM
another one of the beast. ;)

L0w3r55
05-21-2008, 06:46 PM
last one, (i dont want anyone jealous:blah: )

Iliketogofast
05-21-2008, 06:50 PM
You've posted this before, you got a lot of replies too. I don't expect you'll get much of a different answer.

As I said before it's a waste of money to put anything on this car. Trust me, I've been down this road. Instead, save it up until you can afford to sell it and put your savings with it to buy a nice Mustang GT or a Camaro Z28. It's so, so much cheaper to have a fast car that way than it is to buy a piece of garbage import and just dump money into it until it can put out decent numbers.

My Camaro was fast when it was stock, and it was only 5k. It's faster now and I only have 10k in the car total. It can go faster with another 5k and even faster with another after that. This car that you have is a decent car, but it wasn't designed to look or sound good or go fast. It was made to get people from one place to the other without a fuss, and IMO thats what it should do until you can afford a quick, good looking car.

If I sound like an *** I don't mean to, I'm just trying to help you out and pass on my own personal past experiences.

Also to address your question about the cold air and muffler, there are two things those particular things will do. It will make it look nicer when you open the hood and it will make it sound like crap. You won't be able to notice a gain in power.

L0w3r55
05-21-2008, 06:57 PM
allright, well i don't really want a camaro or mustang, well i do but its impractical for a 17 year old in upstate new york to drive a rear wheel drive car once winter hits, i really want the 4x4 ranger but they're hard to come by now because everyone wants trucks that are good on gas too.

05-21-2008, 08:19 PM
dude, no. Seriously, stop thinking the way you do. Keep it stock. Don't ever do any "performance" mods to that car. EVER.

Iliketogofast
05-21-2008, 08:25 PM
Yeah I didn't think about that. The winters up there are pretty harsh, leaving you stranded when the crap hits the fan.

IMO, the best thing for you to do is save up the money you planned on using for this car and use it to get some nice accessories for your 4x4 like tires and wheels or gears or CB radio or whatever you like for it. I really wouldn't spend any money on that for a couple of reasons, one being that it won't help you, two that it will bring down the sellability of the car. Old folks aren't going to want to buy that if it sounds like a race car. Not to mention you plan on getting rid of it in October.

If it were a more long term car I'd probably throw some rims on it and put a stereo in but that's all I'd do, because in the end you can reuse or sell that stuff.

05-21-2008, 08:27 PM
please dont put an exhaust or anything on that car

440racer66
05-21-2008, 08:31 PM
haha wastin money on imports????????? you can get a really fast import as a option. i eat stock gt mustangs and some mildly modded ones. im totaly stock to tho

05-21-2008, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by 440racer66
haha wastin money on imports????????? you can get a really fast import as a option. i eat stock gt mustangs and some mildly modded ones. im totaly stock to tho

tt?

440racer66
05-21-2008, 08:41 PM
yep its got twins

KXRida
05-21-2008, 09:16 PM
Do what I'm doing... Buy your ranger first, go to college, save some money, buy your car when you graduatate. Well I did #1 and I'm in the process of #2. lol

In Pa, I wouldn't want anything but a truck in the winter. No way. I use my parents extra car to run to school and on the snowy days the ranger was seeing some street time for sure.

Iliketogofast
05-22-2008, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by 440racer66

There are good imports, I admit, but there are a whole lot of crappy ones that people think are good when in reality they are turds. The good list includes the 300ZX TT, the RX-7, the Supra, the Silvia, STi and EVO and the neigh-unattainable Skyline and NSX.

However, good luck finding one of those for what I paid for my car, which will take out any of those dollar for dollar.

Let's not turn this into another import argument though, because noone will win. The simple fact is, if you want to go pretty fast for cheap you get an American car, if you want to go really fast and spend a lot you get an import from that list.

You can't go fast for cheap or easy with an import. Honda Civics are cheap and the mods are also cheap, but no matter what you do it is slow. 240SX's are better, but it takes a lot to make them go real nice (LS1?).

I personally would like to one day own a Supra or an RX-7 with a few goodies, so I'm not against a good import if you have the money.

Also, newsflash: All Mustangs are slow unless they have a blower or a drag motor.

300exOH
05-22-2008, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Iliketogofast
There are good imports, I admit, but there are a whole lot of crappy ones that people think are good when in reality they are turds. The good list includes the 300ZX TT, the RX-7, the Supra, the Silvia, STi and EVO and the neigh-unattainable Skyline and NSX.

However, good luck finding one of those for what I paid for my car, which will take out any of those dollar for dollar.

Let's not turn this into another import argument though, because noone will win. The simple fact is, if you want to go pretty fast for cheap you get an American car, if you want to go really fast and spend a lot you get an import from that list.

You can't go fast for cheap or easy with an import. Honda Civics are cheap and the mods are also cheap, but no matter what you do it is slow. 240SX's are better, but it takes a lot to make them go real nice (LS1?).

I personally would like to one day own a Supra or an RX-7 with a few goodies, so I'm not against a good import if you have the money.

Also, newsflash: All Mustangs are slow unless they have a blower or a drag motor.

I like how you praise the imports but then suggest putting a Chevy LS1 v8 to make it fast...:p ...just messing with ya.

I don't know about imports being faster than american cars for the price...it's hard to beat the corvettes speed for the money....but enough about the import stuff.

L0w3r55- If you really must mod the car just go to autozone and build you own cold air intake and pick up a cheap muffler. They carry all kinds of intake pipes, elbows and filters that can be put together to make a decent intake for almost no money. It will sound okay and give you the "illusion" of driving something faster but I doubt you will notice a huge gain in power/speed. You might feel a little gain on the top end but that's about it. I've seen little neons (non-SRT4) with mufflers and intakes so why not a breeze?

:ermm:

KXRida
05-22-2008, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Iliketogofast

I will agree with you on that some imports are nice. I drove my buddy's Rx8 on a 3 hour road trip and that thing was a blast to drive. I'm still more of an american muscle guy though. Um.. it's probably cheaper to go faster in mustang than it is a civic. Key word faster. My brother ended up getting a fox body minus a motor for free. Zero rust. You can pick up fox body's with 4cyl. for pretty cheap. Having three 351's, two 302's, and a 460 gave us a nice selection to start from and it helped out with the budget. You can build a push rod motor up decently without having a fortune in it. Some of the guys around here have $10K+ in their motor's!!! Heck I could build a low 10 second mustang for under 10K. You can buy a full charger kit off ebay for like 3ish, have a full forged rotating stroker assembly for about $1300. Get a set of 58cc heads and have them milled, new cams, lifters, springs, and you have one hell of a car. The only thing is, now you need the suspension. We already put subframe connectors on our mustang, but as it looks, it will be mostly a track car, so it may be tubbed to run slicks. Just build up a solid 8.8 and you'll be set! If you're 4 linking, use a 9", it's a little easier to 4 link on. With that being said, you'd have under $10,000 in an entire car which is rather affordable and it's a high 9 low 10 second car. You still can't beat a push rod fox body for the price if you're wanting to go fast.

The modular motors... that's a different story. They're a pain in the *** to make fast for cheap. My cobra isn't half bad (not supercharged... yet, I just have to find time to put mine on) but it runs high 12's. Hey for paying $6000 for the car, I'm more than happy. Yah I know that was one hell of a deal. Still low 12's is pretty respectable. I guess mustangs are still slow though... :rolleyes:

440racer66
05-22-2008, 11:24 AM
even the 300zx na are still really fast tho not as fast as a tt but they are geared diff they will get a mustang too haha but american muscle is allways nice just dont count out rice haha

Iliketogofast
05-23-2008, 11:48 AM
Actually my next car is going to be an 03-04 Cobra. They have blowers, and they get it pretty good for a stock car.