PDA

View Full Version : Head rebuilding questions.. valves, etc

Flyin-Low
05-21-2008, 05:24 PM
Alright so I went out the other day and the good ol' 450 wouldn't start.. Came really close to firing up but just wouldn't do it.

I took the head off and my exhausts were down to .09 and .010.. the left intake was at 0.03 and the other I couldn't get my smallest feeler gauge in!

This is my first time working on valves, other than shimming. So what do you suggest I replace?

The one intake had some burnt oil built up so I figure I need to replace the seals, but should I do all four just in case?

I was thinking Kibble White intakes but not sure if I should replace the exhausts too?

Please help me out, just let me know what to do!!

Thanks.

450rJam
05-22-2008, 06:41 PM
what shims you got in it now?

once the intakes start to go they go pretty quick

I had the kw w/spring kit (got +1 exhaust)

I took mine to the dealer for starter recal and they told me my intakes where down to the smallest shim they had, and they could replace valves/piston for 800 bucks

I sent it to venom performance for valves/springs/port/polish, and I added a venom piston

spent just a little more than the dealership wanted to put it back stock

this thing is insane, it pulls sooooooooo hard
and the throttle response is instant

Dave400ex
05-22-2008, 09:06 PM
You can send it to Toby at Moto-Xperts and he'll get you fixed up. He just replaced my intakes. Cut new valve seats and put new valves in. Should be well under $800.

pro-rider46
05-22-2008, 09:53 PM
i got my head redone totally, and its similar to what 450rjam said, and it was about 800

the Z Man
05-22-2008, 09:56 PM
I would just get new stock intake valves, should be fine, like under 200.... with the shim kit.

450rJam
05-23-2008, 04:19 AM
with all the mods he has already I made the assumtion he likes power, and if you have to pull the head off for valves its the perfect time for porting