PDA

View Full Version : Ds450 is it a good choice?

THEMACHINIST
05-21-2008, 03:25 PM
I own a ds450x and i injure my self so i didnt rode the quad very much and i will start to race soon as my shoulder will get better.I order a few parts from epic(aarm,axel,air filter,full exhaust)and i wonder if i should continue?What i can read on the forum,magazine,etc...it seem to be a problem on 4 wheels? Do you think a beginner can finish his race with out no problem?Does the modification resolve those bug?Like the over heating problem,if you buy a pwr rad and cv4 hose is it enough?Who race with the quad and have no problem
with it?I was thinking this quad would be the bike to beat in mx but it seem to be a lemon for the moment.In xc the KTM is doing well and it is his first year to.It doesnt seem to have so much trouble.dont get me wrong i like my DS but is it a good choice i've made and should i continue to buy after marquet parts for this quad?:)

step up
05-21-2008, 06:45 PM
Josh Frederick runs just a PWR w/out CV4's, so if you got that w/ CV4's, you'd be fine.

mxracer
05-21-2008, 09:36 PM
You don't need other radiator than stock, there is no deifference the AMA pro did race with stock one.

The bike don't overheat, the problem is that the limp mode (something to protect the engine) as been set too low.

You need to put holes in the plastic like the race bike just to let hot air from the rad and the head pipe exit the plastics

Free mod...

For racing you need something to protect the radiator from mud. With that you won't have any problem

Mr. Big Time
05-21-2008, 11:08 PM
If you are riding beginner you should not have a problem with over heating. Josh Fredericks rides the piss out of that bike, so just like any top pro on any quad....they have different prob's. But look up some pics and cut some holes in the plastic, and cut the hole bigger thats on the bottom of the nose, then pop rivet a screen on there so that you help protect the radiator from dirt.

Maybe keep some sort of sprayer with water around your pits if you do have to rinse it out in a hurry.

It's a great quad, I just raced it in 3 one hour races in 100 degree weather, and it ran great. Team Motoworks quads were only running 200 degrees in the same weather and they had no problems.

THEMACHINIST
05-21-2008, 11:52 PM
So what i can understand it's every trouble are easy to fixe.Maybe this question is stupid but can we buy a after marquet sensor for the limp mode?

step up
05-22-2008, 06:15 PM
I think only the factory can get rid of limp mode.

THEMACHINIST
05-23-2008, 09:31 AM
thankx guys.I got a fmf full exhaust with a velocity air filter and you can feel the difference but i would like to know if you have a difference when you add the fmf cdi(if it worth it)?:)

BenIL
05-23-2008, 09:45 AM
My friend, when you speak about racing ATVs or dirt bike you have to know the sentence - It's not the ride, it's the rider.
Of course the bike effects on the performance, but it's not the most important thing.

Quadevil
05-23-2008, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by BenIL
My friend, when you speak about racing ATVs or dirt bike you have to know the sentence - It's not the ride, it's the rider.
Of course the bike effects on the performance, but it's not the most important thing.

Both important. Bike has direct effect on the fatigue it causes on the rider, performance etc

step up
05-23-2008, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Quadevil
Both important. Bike has direct effect on the fatigue it causes on the rider, performance etc

Ya duh. If you wanna play it like that, well race. Me on my ltr and you on a 400ex. It is the bike too.

BenIL
05-23-2008, 10:12 PM
The bike has direct effect that's true, but when the rider is pro, it's really metter, and the bikes are the highest level of tuning, so it's not really metter.

THEMACHINIST
05-23-2008, 11:28 PM
Hahaha BenIL your right. My question wasnt clear.My fault.What i mean it if you see a difference on the bottom to mid when you add the cdi after the modification i've made.cause we all know there's a lack of bottom end.But i agree the rider make a big difference :D