PDA

View Full Version : Chain and Sprockets

bushwesl
05-21-2008, 01:37 PM
I'm in the market for a new chain and sprockets... Where does everyone get their's and what kind are you running? In the past I've just bought what was cheapest, not really what was the best. Please share your experiences on what works and what doesn't, and any recommendations that you might have. Thanks!

troybilt
05-21-2008, 02:42 PM
Check out the Krause Sidewinder Titanium II's. Lifetime warranty on them... I don't have one, but I'm looking to get one when mine wear's out. What does everyone else think???Titanium II (http://sidewindersprockets.com/titaniumII-sprockets.html)

TheNewn
05-21-2008, 04:03 PM
I was looking at those as well, the life time warranty is pretty appealing...

Aceman
05-21-2008, 04:37 PM
I'm running a Primary Drive front and Nac's rear aluminum sprocket with a gold non o-ring Primary Drive chain. Maybe 20 hrs so far but seems to be working well.

All I'm going to say about Sidewinder is do your research first. Previous posts on the subject lead me to believe they may not be all their cracked up to be.

deathman53
05-21-2008, 07:22 PM
I have mixed reviews about sidewinder. I have their sprockets and chain on my atc250r, almost 2 years, little wear. Built a trx250r, put their sprockets and chain on, I hardley had a year on it and the chain was sloppy, front sprocket hooking and rear was badly worn. Both of the 250r's have nearly an identical motor with exeption of the pipe, so, power isn't a factor here.

Motofool250r
05-21-2008, 07:42 PM
i ride alot of sand so i use a non oring chains now anc change them often for the 20$ price

RK, and EK, and DID all make great products and properly cared for in dirt will do their job for a long time.

i usually run sunstar sprockets cheap and steel and last as long as the chain does.

two85atc250r's
05-21-2008, 08:45 PM
Don't mean to hijack, but are o-ring chains not good for the sand? I ride almost exclusively in the sand and i was just about to order a new o-ring chain and sprockets. Should I not get it?

wilkin250r
05-21-2008, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by two85atc250r's
Don't mean to hijack, but are o-ring chains not good for the sand?

O-ring chains are just fine in the sand.

Sand is a funny thing. I don't know the exact reason, but your chain and sprockets wear out much faster in the sand. I've heard of people going through aluminum sprockets really quickly.

Regular non-oring chains are significantly cheaper than oring chains. So if you find yourself replacing them often, perhaps cheaper is the way to go.

But for now, I say go ahead and get your o-ring chain, I don't think you have anything to worry about. However, if you're riding mostly sand, I WOULD suggest a steel rear sprocket, rather than an aluminum one. C&D racing gave me the best price I could find.

86 Quad R
05-22-2008, 08:45 AM
i've tried a multitude of chains and sprockets over the years and have ultimately went with the non o-ring DID chain and sunstar/renthal spockets. o-ringed chains are fine for the average trail riding and racing but i wouldnt use them in XC, dune and wet creek type riding. reason being that the grit and grime eats away at the o-rings and eventually starts to throw them. when this happens you start to get side to side slack and did i mention that non o-ring chains are 1/2 the price? when ya have 4 and 5 quads that can get costly. :eek2:

Motofool250r
05-22-2008, 12:24 PM
my 250r rides only sand, and weve had to replace the oring chains way to fast to warrant the 80$ or more for one when i can buy 25feet of non-oring chain for 100$

i just throw on a new chain after 3-4 trips and then i have spares if something happens also.

o ring chains go on my dirt trail machines after they are broke in and lubricated and they last for a couple years of riding.

bushwesl
05-22-2008, 04:11 PM
How about for MX riding?

Motofool250r
05-22-2008, 05:29 PM
on my motorcycles i ran orings not sure what i would run today if i raced again maybe non-oring

Tubsy
05-25-2008, 08:44 PM
I have the Krause Titanium II I believe mine are 14/40

gandgracing
05-25-2008, 08:49 PM
Broke there chain and stripped off teeth on rear sprocket. I use a $40 non o-ring DID chain and dont have any problems.