PDA

View Full Version : Lexx MXe muffler

drew3623
05-21-2008, 12:14 PM
Any thoughts on a Lexx MXe muffler? Im on a budget right now and this muffler is only $200 on rocky mountain. Im not planning on racing my quad, I mainly just want a good sound and a little more power. Ive never heard of this muffler, but the reviews on the site says that people like it. Thanks

UNBROKEN
05-21-2008, 01:40 PM
they seem to be a good exhaust for the price and there pretty quiet there is a video on this exhaust if ure looking for a sound clip ill try to find it but its far from the best sounding but will get the job done

powermadd400ex
05-21-2008, 01:42 PM
there a couple ppl on here with lexxs.
heres a page with alot of exhuast clips, lexx is on there
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=346007

bearair
05-21-2008, 07:15 PM
I've got one one my bike. So far I like it a lot. Found mine on ebay for $185 shipped. You will have to rejet, but you will with any slip on.

f4iracer
10-15-2009, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by bearair
I've got one one my bike. So far I like it a lot. Found mine on ebay for $185 shipped. You will have to rejet, but you will with any slip on.

Simply not true, most slip-ons don't require a re-jet.

Rkangel7
10-15-2009, 02:44 PM
I like my Lexx. In fact I like it much better than the White Bros. E-series I used to have. Personally I find the quality of the Lexx to be better than the White Bros. The Lexx is also easier to work on when it's time to repack. It has a nice sound and seems to perform very well without being annoyingly loud.

You can get the Lexx for less than $180 if you look aroud or find a coupon code for rockymountain. As far as jetting, I'm running a 150 main jet at sea level and it's running just about perfect.

TRXRacer1
10-15-2009, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by f4iracer
Simply not true, most slip-ons don't require a re-jet. Anyone that can say this shouldn't be giving advice to others. :rolleyes:

f4iracer
10-15-2009, 07:38 PM
want me to say it again!?!

Slip-ons do not REQUIRE a re-jet.

coryatver
10-15-2009, 07:48 PM

Quads come lean stock because of EPA emission rules already and putting a better flowing exhaust on makes it even more lean you definitely have to rejet.

Ba9801
10-15-2009, 08:22 PM
I had to rejet even after I changed just the tip on my stock muffler. If you change anything at all on the bike that has to do with performance ie... Filter, slip-on, sparks key, etc... you will need to rejet for it to make correct power and not run lean and hot and burn up the engine. These bikes all run on the lean side and even worse they are air cooled, you could get away with more of a lean mixture on a bike with a cooling system as it will pull the heat from the cylinder.

radchad3
10-15-2009, 08:58 PM
I agree, a rejet is necessary after most intake/exhaust mods.

katch26
10-16-2009, 05:56 AM
they look like good pipes.....ill prob give it a go after my wb finally eats it and yes you would need to rejet it. the only thing worse than wrong is loud and wrong and this thread is a year and a half old and brought back to life with bad info lol

F-16Guy
10-16-2009, 06:32 AM
I had a WB E-Series slip-on before I bought my Lexx, and so far, I like the Lexx a lot better. I think it sounds great, and the throttle response seems to be a bit more crisp. The fit and finish were really good for a sub-$200 pipe. Make sure you buy a tube of high-temp RTV sealant for the mid-pipe joints. I tried mine without sealant and it leaked a noticeable amount. Just put a thin layer on each piece, assemble, and allow to dry overnight.

katch26
10-16-2009, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by F-16Guy
I had a WB E-Series slip-on before I bought my Lexx, and so far, I like the Lexx a lot better. I think it sounds great, and the throttle response seems to be a bit more crisp. The fit and finish were really good for a sub-$200 pipe. Make sure you buy a tube of high-temp RTV sealant for the mid-pipe joints. I tried mine without sealant and it leaked a noticeable amount. Just put a thin layer on each piece, assemble, and allow to dry overnight.

good to know.....hopefully there more durable than the white bros pipe. I havent seen one yet that hasnt cracked at the at the pipe coming off the can. My buddies yfz went through 3 before he had enough.

Rkangel7
10-16-2009, 09:06 AM
My White Bros. was cracked too. I also got tired of the noise. It was way too loud and even though the disc system was tuneable, it always seemed to push the sound up toward the rider. I like the Lexx setup much better. Nice sound while also quieter, no welds to crack, rubber mounts to keep vibration down. I don't miss the White Bros.

Which 450?
10-16-2009, 02:41 PM

You don't HAVE to rejet. The world won't end if you don't. But in order for the modification to have full benefit you have to.

f4iracer
10-17-2009, 03:49 PM
Yeah, of course if i rejet i'll get more power.

I don't plan to rejet my quad though, i'm gonna run the slip on with stock carb and stock air filter.

i'll let you guys know if i blow the motor, haha.

omeeomy
10-17-2009, 08:45 PM
f4 is rite i never rejeted mine and it runs great so maybe you shouldnt be postin if you dont know ha

atv fan 28
10-17-2009, 08:58 PM
im not a rocket scientist or a professional atv mechanic! but if you alter the intake or the exhaust on a bike you need to compensate for the changes, via adjusting the carb! the better you get air in and the better you get it out will require adjustments! and yes you dont have to do nothing, but whats the point of spending all that money on performance add ons if your not going to adjust things to make it perform better than what you just replaced! my 2 cents!

f4iracer
10-18-2009, 09:29 AM
i might notice a little increase in power with just the slip-on. I got it for noise though mostly.

Anyway, i'm not planning on jetting the quad for awhile so again....i'll let you guys know if it blows up cuz i didn't rejet it with a slip on haha.

That being said, if it starts backfiring when i ad the slip-on i'll have to do some adjustments. Right now i'm running wide open stocker.

Ba9801
10-18-2009, 11:37 AM
I build custom cars for a living and regardless of weather it is a car or quad if you allow less back pressure from the exhaust (ie... slip on pipe or full exhaust) you will take in more air which in turn means you need additional fuel so the engine does not run lean and cause the engine to run hot and wear out your cylinder and valves quicker, as well as break down your oil quicker. It is a chain of events that is consistent in any naturally aspirated engine assembly. Even more so as our 400ex is air cooled. With a cooing system you could get away with creating more cylinder heat as the cooling system will draw the heat away and not allow as much heat soak in the engine. So basically not even in the means of how well it runs or power it builds by jetting it there are many other aspects involved in longevity of the engine assembly as well. A properly tuned engine is a cooler running, longer lasting and just out right has more power. So if you still do not want to jet you carb at least you know the consequences.

f4iracer
10-18-2009, 04:52 PM
Ran the hell out of this pipe today, it's got a real good overall sound to it. I didn't have the quiet core in at all and it seemed to run just fine.

My stock muffler without the spark arrestor used to backfie a little.

This slip on didn't backfire once today, it's got a good clean sound to it. no jetting necessary.

turbo j
10-20-2009, 12:26 PM
If you don't add some main jet to that it might run great for a while (lean) but eventually as stated above it will wear things out prematurely. I bought an 01 400EX for 200 bucks almost complete because the kid that had it sawed off the internal spark arrestor and did not change the jetting.

F-16Guy
10-20-2009, 12:43 PM
I keep everything I own a tad on the rich side. My weedeater and leaf blower were so lean from the factory that you couldn't even run them at full throttle without having the choke on a little. I spent $7 on a spline drive carb tool, and now they run sooooo much better!! I don't disagree with being a little more conscious of the environment, but that kind of stuff is effing ridiculous. I don't think a quarter turn of the fuel screws on your weedeater is going to be the demise of humanity.

Back to the subject: Will stuff run good on the lean end of the spectrum? Yes. Is it a good idea on an air cooled engine that is notorious for running hot? Probably not. I'll spend the $10 and 15 minutes to adjust the jetting, but that's just me :cool:

katch26
10-20-2009, 12:53 PM
just let him blow the **** up hes obviously out to prove something so lwt him.

rigger
10-20-2009, 07:19 PM
I oredered a Lex for my wife's 400 and so far I really like it. It fits good, looks good, is not to loud at all and seems to run very well. I opened up the air box, UNI filter, ground the header welds, removed the choke and re-jetted. It runs a little better than the last 400 that I had with the same set up but with a HMF pipe.

I got mine new off of e-bay for about $160.

I have to say a little something about the jetting thing just because I can.

This 400 ran lean all stock. If I did the above mods and did not jet, it would either not run or not run very long before it were to blow up.

I new a guy that had a stock 400. He took the air box lid off and the tip out of the pipe. He did this becasue he wanted it to be loud. I told him if he was going to continue to run it like that, he needed to re-jet it or it would run lean and pop. He disagreed and managed to ride it for about a year, then the motor blew all the hell. Piston came all apart and screwed up all kinds of stuff.

He ragged that thing out. I got it for nothing and gave it to a good buddy of mine. He rebuilt the whole thing and did a lot of custom stuff to it. Now it looks and rides great.

Point I guess is, go ahead and let it run lean. Let it pop and then someone else can get it from you for almost nothing and build it back into a great machine.

coryatver
10-20-2009, 07:25 PM
the right jet will cost you 4 bucks lol just change it lol

f4iracer
10-20-2009, 11:22 PM
wow talk about exaggeration.

I know people that have been riding ex's with slip-ons for YEARS AND YEARS AND YEARS with no jet. haha, you're telling me these guys barely ran them at all and the things blew up from a slip-on haha. that's called running out or oil brother.

I never said it wouldn't help the engine run better and also help with the power increase. I simply said it runs FINE with my lexx slip-on and no jetting it might be a tad lean, but no backfiring or chugging yet and according to my laser thermometer its running the same temps.

My 400ex is NOT gonna blow because i'm running a lexx slip-on with stock air filter and lid on.

f4iracer
10-21-2009, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by coryatver
the right jet will cost you 4 bucks lol just change it lol

what would the right jet be? a 152 main and keep everything else in tact?

coryatver
10-21-2009, 06:27 PM
With air box lid on and a slip on exhuast I would run a 155 keihin main jet. Also while you have it apart install a 42 keihin pilot jet. It makes cold starting so much easier.

f4iracer
10-21-2009, 11:05 PM
Hey, anybody who installed this slip on.

Did any of you notice that if you give it a reasonably firm shake to the left or right from the rear of the pipe......that it slightly moves at the midpipe/header joint.

I've got a nice bead (high temp silicone) on that spot down there however it does tend to wiggle a bit only at that joint, the headers don't move and the pipe doesn't move at all.

wondering if this is a normal install or if i've missed something.

J.J.
10-21-2009, 11:39 PM
mine moves slightly at that spot too.. i havent noticed any sort of leak or anything though..

i'm running with the lexx slip on, uni filter, no lid and i changed to a 158 main.. it was great when the temps were up around 80 and above but now that its cooler i'm startin to get alot of popping on decel

rigger
10-22-2009, 05:47 PM
open air box, UNI filter, header welds ground down, removed the choke

165 main
42 pilot
1/2 more turn on the fuel screw.
sea level in South Carolina

Runs like a champ at all throttle positions.

jfwyatt
10-22-2009, 06:38 PM
rejetting is just good common sense why risk blowing a motor over a 4 doller part. Sure you may get away without it but what if your the 1 in100 guy who blows it sky high is it worth a 4 buck part. not to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rkangel7
10-22-2009, 08:19 PM
Hey, anybody who installed this slip on.

Did any of you notice that if you give it a reasonably firm shake to the left or right from the rear of the pipe......that it slightly moves at the midpipe/header joint.

I've got a nice bead (high temp silicone) on that spot down there however it does tend to wiggle a bit only at that joint, the headers don't move and the pipe doesn't move at all.

wondering if this is a normal install or if i've missed something.

I put a little silicone where the mid pipe meets with the collar and where the collar meets with the head pipe. Mine flexes a little at that joint. It appears to be a normal part of the design as Lexx doesn't use a pipe clamp there. Probably to allow for heat expansion and vibration.

f4iracer
10-25-2009, 01:22 PM
After running it all weekend, i noticed that the pipe expanded, it no longer wiggles at the joint, i peeled off my silicone and it's tight in there. No leaks!

f4iracer
11-15-2009, 05:55 PM
do you guys think i could put a 155 main in with the a/f screw in the same spot or will i need to adjust that too?