PDA

View Full Version : Poor man's rebuild

Iliketogofast
05-21-2008, 07:59 AM
It isn't a complete buildup, because all I did was redo all of the bearings and complete engine rebuild, and I painted the frame. But, I don't even think I've posted the pics of the engine since before it blew up so here goes...

A couple before pics first

Iliketogofast
05-21-2008, 08:01 AM

Iliketogofast
05-21-2008, 08:02 AM
Motor

Iliketogofast
05-21-2008, 08:04 AM
Wow the order got messed up for some reason

Iliketogofast
05-21-2008, 08:05 AM
With body

Iliketogofast
05-21-2008, 08:08 AM
As you can see I'm missing a shock. It's because the guy that powdercoated them messed one of the red springs up so I'm waiting on it now. Also waiting on the swingarm, I couldn't get the bearings out so I'm taking one more crack at it and then I'm hauling it to the shop. Those are the only things I need.

Iliketogofast
05-21-2008, 08:09 AM
Last pic, Showing my new grips I got yesterday. I couldn't get the ones I wanted so I settled for what he had in the shop, and I like them. Also you can see the computer.

Iliketogofast
05-21-2008, 08:14 AM
So what do you guys think? It's been about a year since I've ridden it. I just now got enough money to redo all of the bearings and completely overhaul the engine.

Now all I really plan on doing to it is to get a new steering stem because the one on it is tweaked a little, new handlebars, and a new back shock. I guess soon I'll need new plastic too, but for now this is as far as I'll go.

cmanningjr
05-21-2008, 08:16 AM
Nice Pictures! I'm about to do something similar with a 300ex.

What kind of paint did you use for your frame???

Iliketogofast
05-21-2008, 09:31 AM
I rattlecanned it with stuff from a paint shop, like 8 bucks a can. Primer, base, clear.

That's what was on it before and it lasted about 2 years before it started to wear through in spots. Plus I have touch up paint if it chips or wears off by the boots.

I did it like that because I plan on getting a powdercoating setup within the year so it's just to hold me off until I can PC it myself. At that point I'll just take it apart again. It only took me 3-4 hours to get it all apart so it isn't that bad.

skyhighatv
05-21-2008, 10:23 AM
looks great,just imagine what could be done on an unlimited budget,lol. almost done my budget build also.cant wait to ride!

Master LTR450
05-21-2008, 03:20 PM
looks good, you should sell me that camaro then you could really do an overhaul!!!!! :devil:

Rip_Tear
05-21-2008, 04:24 PM
Looks good, you are well ahead of me, I'm doing all the bearings I didn't do in September.

Aceman
05-21-2008, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Master LTR450
looks good, you should sell me that camaro then you could really do an overhaul!!!!! :devil:

Just think of all the extra space he'd have too....;)

Quad looks good to me. They're always projects seems like, so even when you're finished, you're not REALLY finished. At least mine anyways.:p

Iliketogofast
05-21-2008, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Master LTR450

Oh, that old thing? I'll take a grand. :cool:

It's actually my dad's. :blah:

05-21-2008, 09:00 PM
sweet! how are you going to heat the frame if you pced it you have to heat it to 400f??? i was going to get a pc gun but i cant think of a way to heat the fame with out spending 10,000 on a pc room

Iliketogofast
05-22-2008, 08:09 AM
I'm going to try and build an oven outside.

I have a welder and welding skills and can get my hands on the material. The plan is to make a steel box and then make a wood box around that with insulation in between. Then drill holes in the top and bottom and use two elements from a couple of used electric stoves to heat the room. It will have a door obviously with hinges and hangers on the top.

Also, a gun can be had for rather cheap.

baldathoR
05-22-2008, 06:38 PM
I live in Indiana, have an R, and have that same exact tool set in the first pic.

Got it on sale. :D

Nice build.