PDA

View Full Version : steering stem diameter stock vs aftermarket ?

mak400ex
05-20-2008, 06:56 PM
what size diameter is a aftermaket stem (lonestar)

is the stock stem bigger or should it measure the same diameter as the aftermarket stem ?

also what is the stem bushing size ?

i got a lonestar stem in today and it is smaller than the stock stem in diameter the stem bushing looks to be the same as the stock one - just checking to see if this is correct

this is for a 06 450r.

Thanks

TRX450RACER174
05-20-2008, 08:56 PM
So your stem came with a bushing? huh mine did not from LSR did you buy this new or used , the only stem i have seen larger than stock in diameter was a Houser one i just sold i'm not sure if you have the right stem cuase if it's smaller your gonna have play unless the bushing is thicker than the stock one.

mak400ex
05-20-2008, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by TRX450RACER174
So your stem came with a bushing? huh mine did not from LSR did you buy this new or used , the only stem i have seen larger than stock in diameter was a Houser one i just sold i'm not sure if you have the right stem cuase if it's smaller your gonna have play unless the bushing is thicker than the stock one.

bought it used, it came with the bushing - the bushing looks to be the same size as stock and fit snug on the aftermarkt stem - just didnt know if that was the norm on the 450r because my 400ex is the same size as the stock stem ? the 400ex and the 450r stem diameter is the same just the bushing is diff the 450 is larger tho?

05-21-2008, 06:54 AM
The first run of LSR stems were all made 2mm smaller than stock by accident. If that is your problem, you can call them and they will send you a free clamp to fix the problem.

eastside 400
05-21-2008, 03:57 PM
everyones stems are different, some are larger diameter, some the same and some small. the larger ones are usually turned down at the clamp point so it fits in the bushing, smaller ones usually come with the bushing

mak400ex
05-21-2008, 09:22 PM
thanks for the info, the one i got is smaller than the stock stem, but yea your right the bushing came with it and is larger to fit in the bushing holder.

thanks