PDA

View Full Version : New computer...suggestions?

Pappy
05-20-2008, 06:37 PM
My main pc took a dump, and I will be getting a new one tomorrow but I have no clue whats hot or the best buy. Suggestions, place of purchase etc?

I am on my laptop which I hate but atleast I can ask for help...lol

Hondamaster5505
05-20-2008, 06:49 PM
Whatever you do, DON'T get Windows Vista.

As far as computer, Dell makes some nice stuff. Or a mac.

As far as place, i like best buy.

Fear250r
05-20-2008, 06:59 PM
Get a mac. They're top notch. A little more money, but it's worth it. And it'll run all that windows stuff too.

Iliketogofast
05-20-2008, 07:08 PM
Pappy, with all of your photography and stuff I think you'd love a Mac.

They are the choice computers for all sorts of artists. There is so much available for photo editing and such for you to use.

I got a PC and I really regret it. Windows is pretty bad these days. :( I actually went back to Windows XP.

Pappy
05-20-2008, 07:12 PM
i know mac's are the way to go especially when photography is involved, but not sure where to buy, etc.

i dont do a ton of edit work, but there s a boat load of importing and cataloging with what i do with the race pictures. not sure if it would be helpful or not:confused:

250r rider 88
05-20-2008, 07:15 PM
pappy you got a price range your looking at?

i take it you need alot of storage space with all your photos?

vista is not bad at all once you learn how it works i think most people are just afraid of change:rolleyes:

anyway here are some good pcs from bestbuy in a few different price ranges all under 900 (taking it you dont need monitor,keyboard,mouse, etc.)

1.) this is one bad mamma-jamma 500G of storage quad-core processor, graphics card, a very nice pc for photo/video editing and storage

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8781703&type=product&id=1205026863692

2.)another good dell, 500G of storage, only a dual core dou processor, and graphics card, a little bit cheaper than the 1st one but still a very nice pc for what you will be doing

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8643836&type=product&id=1195598047531

3.)a more budget friendly HP, dual core processor (still a very good processor) 500G of storage, a good basic computer

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8781703&type=product&id=1205026863692

these are just some suggestion of ones i seen on bestbuy,

word of advice never buy a pc wit hand AMD processor, stick with Intel and you will be happier down the road, and all these pcs are loaded with Vista with Service Pack 1 (SP1) which corrected alot of things that were wrong at first, vista is a great system once you learn how to use it and to be honest, there isnt a whole lot of difference

when it comes to pcs i like dell and hp

laptops toshiba or hp nothing else comes close to quality

hope this helps pappy

416exfreak
05-20-2008, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505

Why does everyone say that?

I love Vista, its been great for me...and Ive been using it for about a year now. Havent had the 1st problem with it.

As far as photography, deffinaltely get a MAC. They are way more stable than a PC, and have way more capabilities.

Do a search for places that are local to you that sell Mac's and find the one with the best price.:)

Good luck!

Hondamaster5505
05-20-2008, 07:25 PM
Get a MAC:D

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GQb_Q8WRL_g&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GQb_Q8WRL_g&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

JForestZ34
05-20-2008, 07:30 PM
You want a kick *** computer get a mac pro. This one a matter of fact..

http://www.apple.com/macpro/

Get this one with a 30inch Cinema Display, and watch out.. YOu'll never leave your house again.. This one will let you run anything plus you can install windows on it but I wouldn't do that. That's the reason you bought a mac to begin with.. But for editing your pictures this would be my choice, with all the software they have for a Mac you can't go wrong. But the downside is they are really pricey..

James

Pappy
05-20-2008, 08:17 PM
mac is off the table after discussing it with the admin. not that mac is bad, but i aint the sharpest knife in teh drawer when it comes to computers and if we have issues with the mac working with our software we use to to a ton of things off the forrums we would be in trouble (in other words if it hiccups im to damn dumb to figure it out...lol)

i think the first one 250r rider 88 posted is what i will go after

250r rider 88
05-20-2008, 08:47 PM
glad i could be of help pappy, also if you use any of the office programs you will need to buy it now as it only comes with 30days when you buy the pc (double check but i believe its still that way) doesnt come with it like xp did :ermm:

lawdog800
05-20-2008, 09:29 PM
Pappy,
We just bought this model last thursday, and so far it is BAD *****.... 4GB of Ram and 750GB of hard drive...very fast I love it

We got it on a package deal with a 19" moniter and a printer for $959.00

You should look at this one, less expensive and get more with better ratings.......It also came with WIRELESS KEYBOARD AND MOUSE

Best Buy Gateway Computer (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8775818&productCategoryId=abcat0501004&type=product&tab=1&id=1204331848374#productdetail)

j_cyrus3
05-20-2008, 11:27 PM
If money isn't a concern...

http://www.alienware.com/product_pages/desktop_all_default.aspx

I've heard NOTHING but good from alienware products.

Robin Hood
05-20-2008, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by j_cyrus3
If money isn't a concern...

http://www.alienware.com/product_pages/desktop_all_default.aspx

I've heard NOTHING but good from alienware products.

Alienware are basically prettied up Dells made for gaming. Not really worth the investment unless you want to look like a hardcore gamer while you play WoW lol. :p

Stick w/ that dell XPS. Pair it up w/ a nice monitor and you'll be set.

OzLinc
05-21-2008, 12:53 AM
No exaggeration I have sold over 10000 computers in my life time most people get stuff they dont need or use and forget about the basics like hard drive space and memory.

You dont need a super fast CPU ( quad core.....blah blah blah)

You dont need a super whiz bang graphics...........most graphics cards accelerate 3D calculations and are great for rendering or games. The most basic graphics card will do 2D graphics (photos) at lightning speed.

You do need a large amount of storage; I would get 2 x Hard Drives; even 2 x 250Gb instead of 1 x 500Gb. If it was me I would get one of each.....Vista and programs on the small drive and work on the large one.

Get alot of memory (RAM) at least 4Gb......8Gb if you can. If you can't make sure you can upgrade.

Vista is fine as long as It's Vista Business not Vista Home.

Get a 19" or 22" wide screen (WS) which ever is the best value at the time......any bigget and you have to sit back to see it all.

I have a 19"(WS).....it's great for photos.

Linc

kawiefan
05-21-2008, 04:52 AM
We've had vista for over a year and had no problems so far. It's a little different than xp but you have to get used to it.

BTW it the business edition.

dpizz450
05-21-2008, 05:38 AM
eh, theres all kind of good computers out there now a days. but i just dont like dell, gateway, hp, etc. IMO those are all just brand names to me and all those eventually take a dump on you after years. i had my computer custom buiilt from ground up, with all the memory and anything i needed on it. it was around $1500 bucks, but also i have had it for about 5 or 6 years and its damn near just as fast as the day i bought it. still loads everything quick as the first day i bought it. was well worth the money IMO. if you want to look into this go to a local computer place around you, and ask them about it. tell them what your gonna be using it for and what your needs are. they will work around whatever you want put on it. and you can still have windows and microsoft and all that crap on it. i would never go back to a regular computer after having this one. but anyhow, good luck with whatever ya buy.

05-21-2008, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505

As far as computer, Dell makes some nice stuff. Or a mac.

As far as place, i like best buy.

they dont make xp anymore...

samething happin to me i got vista i was not happy at first cuz all my friends computers with vista are slow but mines not so i guess they made it better kind of like quads they have some problems the first year or so they come out

05-21-2008, 05:02 PM
Pappy, get a Mac.

Pappy
05-21-2008, 06:23 PM
ended up getting a gateway GM5664

24 inch monitor is so sweet:p

my88r
05-21-2008, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Pappy

got all your programs loaded on it yet.:D

<DRS>GPF
05-21-2008, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Pappy

thats sounds like a pretty capable PC and my what a big montor you have..

id be curious to see what sort of performance benchmarks itd run with AMD's first quad core processor.(PCMARK, SiSoft, Super-Pi etc.)

you could also pipe the video to a HDTV and watch some blue ray movies.(though that 24" monitor would be nice as well..)

it should make anything youve had prior look like a commodore 64.

Pappy
05-21-2008, 07:13 PM
no clue what all that means, i do know blu ray has something to do with movies correct:p

my88- yes, working through them now.

beaker1214
05-21-2008, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by OzLinc
Get alot of memory (RAM) at least 4Gb......8Gb if you can. If you can't make sure you can upgrade.

Linc

Why would you push 8gb of ram, I have servers that I don't even need that much ram on them and the Servers that do have more are running more then one operating system using VMware. 4gb is good and all but its over kill in the fact that windows only recognizes 3.25gb (Not sure if thats exact but I'm pretty positive thats pretty close to it). Anything over is allocated to the graphics, but thats only good if your going to be playing alot of games....But yeah I would def go with a Toshiba or HP if I was going to purchase a laptop, as for a desktop we do alot of business with Dell. They are pretty good desktops for just general use and businesses. But yeah I think 250r rider picked out a good one for what all your planning to do. Thats my $.02....Good luck Pappy and keep putting out awesome photos

pro-rider46
05-21-2008, 09:20 PM
pappy sounds like you got a good buy. i have a gateway GT5432 vista home premium and i love it. no regrets.

Pappy
05-21-2008, 09:28 PM
so far so good, i almost have all the important stuff back up and running.

suck my pipe
05-22-2008, 12:21 PM
www.apple.com there all good just pick the one that is in budget. Great computers and good tech support when you get stuck.

Pappy
05-22-2008, 09:44 PM
Took me several hours tonight configuring how to stay on line...lol

I think I have it running good now!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3258/2515559902_0885fa5fcc_o.jpg

and the bigger screen sure helps with the photos!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3035/2515582700_feb67876fe_b.jpg