PDA

View Full Version : New 450

step up
05-20-2008, 03:51 PM
I know this isnt the right section, but it's the only one where I can get an honest answer.

Im thinking about buying a new 450 and will do these upgrades:
new shocks
a-arms lt set up
axle
nerfs
sprockets & chain
intake system
exhaust
power commander (if EFI)
Tires & wheels
and other things like bars etc.

I want honest answers. What quad will be the best set up with this? I ride about 1/2 dunes and 1/2 desert, but want to start racing.

I dont want the TRX or YFZ. I do want a 450.

Im leaning toward the can-am, but the 08 ltr looks nice and Ive heard good things about the KTM also.

Thanks for the advice

hondarider101
05-20-2008, 04:41 PM
why no trx i can understand why no yfz?

step up
05-20-2008, 09:29 PM
The trx is the only one I dont like the hanling on. and there's a whole bunch of smaller things that I dont like, like the narrow seat & how high the motor is mounted up on the frame. And the YFZ I rode had similar mods, but I didnt' like It. Plus EVERYONE has a YFZ

Robin Hood
05-20-2008, 11:44 PM
It's all about comfort. You can't really change the seating on the quads, but everything else that involves handling will be swapped out anyway from what you said. Personally, I ranked the LTR and the 450R as my top 2 in seat comfort. The YFZ felt cramped and it seemed like I wouldn't be able to lock myself onto the seat well enough.

The KTM sits nice also, and I have yet to see any DS's around here. They will all put out around the same amount of power with KTM up on top of the list, but I'd just sit on a few of the quads before making a decision. I'm sure you'll be happy with either of the bikes.

step up
05-21-2008, 06:11 PM
I have the 06 ltr right now and I like it alot. It just that Ive always liked lighter quads. so thats why im leaning toward the ds. The ktm looked nice too, but why pay 9500 when Im gonna be getting all the high performance parts anyways.

esr250r86
05-22-2008, 11:40 AM
I love the ergonomics on my honda and you can change them the way you would like with steering stems,taller seats, bars,etc. The LTR's seem for me to be nice out of the box and race ready and I really like the way they feel also. Yfz'z feel like their stem is a foot high and their seat is just flat and it is hard to plant into corners.
Ltr would probably be the best if you were not looking to dump a bunch of money into it right away just so you could get it to your comfort. Only thing that would need changing would probably be the bars. Good luck,hope this helped

mx1791
05-22-2008, 02:03 PM
i didnt like my honda at all, it felt big and i thought the gas tank/seat where too wide but it was a pretty smooth quad. my yfz i love though i wouldnt trade it for anything.

ive only rode a stock ltr and one with jb/ohlins suspension and i think the ltr is a great feeling quad, the power was smooth but it pulled harder then my honda, its seat is comfy and the tank is small

and i rode a walsh/fox kfx which was just amazing just kinda felt tippy imo

05-22-2008, 05:22 PM
In dirtwheels when they reviewed the ds, the main thing the MAIN thing they said that was wrong with it was the ergonomics. All the test riders did not like how it felt when they sat on it.

jkiserracing
05-28-2008, 08:35 PM
Well it seems that the Can ams are doing pretty well in motocross but I beleive those guys have been really working to get those quads right. As for me, I dont really like to get the first one of anything because theres always issues that need to be worked out. Then the next year model you can bet will be a little diffrent because something needed to be addressed. I ride a Honda and love it. However diffrent people like diffrent things. I think in my opinion I would like the Suzuki in this case. Its almost ready to go right out of the box and you can make gradual upgrades if needed. That way you dont have to spend such a chunk on the upgrades all at once...

step up
05-28-2008, 09:52 PM
As for second year upgrades...

The Honda's were barely changed
Dont know about the YFZ's
Kawi=no
Suzuki=also no

So id guess that Can-am would only change the recall stuff and focus on 2010

jkiserracing
05-29-2008, 08:21 AM
I didnt know that a new yaer of the Kawi has come out yet. Also I thought that Suzuki did change some things? Maybe they changed some things after the 2nd year...cant remember. Well it will be intresting to see if anything changes on the Can Am...and by the way I do really like the Can ams alot. They are making a strong showing in MX and GNCC. As for me Im on quite a tight budget so I typically look at used atvs when Im ready to buy...which makes it easy for me to say I dont buy the first of anything...I usually cant afford it either. I havent got a chance to even sit on the new Can Ams yet but once my dealer gets one I will be there to look it over..

BLU82
05-29-2008, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by step up
As for second year upgrades...

The Honda's were barely changed
Dont know about the YFZ's
Kawi=no
Suzuki=also no

So id guess that Can-am would only change the recall stuff and focus on 2010 Kawi has made changes to the frame design. It has some small differences, you can only tell if there side by side or you own one.