PDA

View Full Version : antifreeze coming out weep hole???

two85atc250r's
05-19-2008, 06:11 PM
Well I got everything all back together and didn't even put any fluids in yet and I already have some antifreeze dripping out of the weep hole on the bottom of the water pump. I assume this is just what was still in the hoses but my question is why is it dripping out? Will in quit once I crank it and run it for a minute? It wasn't leaking when I took it apart so what could have happened? Could I have down something wrong when I put it back together?

Iliketogofast
05-19-2008, 06:12 PM
There is a copper gasket/washer that goes on there that you must have forgotten.

two85atc250r's
05-19-2008, 06:14 PM
where does it go?

two85atc250r's
05-19-2008, 07:06 PM
Does this mean my mechanical seal has gone bad? If so, how did it go bad sitting on the shelf? I pulled the water pump cover back off and I have the copper sealing washer under the nut and another washer behind the impeller so I think I have all the washers in place.
Where do I go from here? I was all ready to fill it up with fluids and try to crank it until I saw that weep hole dripping.
Should I try to crank it and see if it stops?:confused:

250Ronny
05-19-2008, 07:50 PM
the washers sound right, i would say its your seal

two85atc250r's
05-19-2008, 11:45 PM
Well I took it all apart and put grease on the seal and on the back side of the impeller and put it all back together and it stopped leaking. Filled in up with coolant and no leaks. Should I kick it over to pump some water through it and see if it leaks? Motor has never been started.

86 Quad R
05-20-2008, 07:58 AM
you may ok with it. in my infant stages of owning an R i once replaced the mech. seal only to have it seep as yours is. i done the same as you but instead i used vaseline. it has a tendousy to dissepate better after the engine warms.