PDA

View Full Version : High speed stall

somewon
05-19-2008, 12:32 PM
Hey guys,

I was at little sahara this weekend and I noticed that when I got to the top of 4th and 5th The motor sputtered and stalled. I'm thinking I need to increase the size of the main jet (too lean at the top?) and I'm wondering if I should move the clip on the needle. I'm running the JD kit with the exact recommendations for 1,000 ft.

Any comments would be appreciated.

eerhard09
05-19-2008, 01:13 PM
Could your main jet be plugged, at least partially? You are probably not tapping it out in the lower gears but in 4th and 5th you are getting it just onto the main jet that is partially plugged and starving it for fuel....

Evasiveone
05-20-2008, 07:13 AM
What is your current setup now? If you are running a BB 540 kit the "recommended" settings probably will not apply to you. Lean on top will feel like it is kinda "dead" with no power. Rich on top will sputter.

somewon
05-20-2008, 09:07 AM
I'm planning to pull the bowl off the carb tomorrow, so I'll check to see if anything is plugging the main.

The only thing I'm currently doing diffrent than the JD recommended specs is a 1 step larger pilot. When I was at the dunes a month ago everything ran perfect, it was also about 15 degrees cooler and I had my airbox lid on.

It's odd, because it does sputter and pop when I push it all the way to the top. I have to slow down and down shift to get everything running right again. It's odd because If I just slow down and try to throttle back up it still sputters and pops until I down shift.

OutlawBill
05-20-2008, 09:54 AM
lid off your are lean go up on main and drop one slot on needle