PDA

View Full Version : First ATV, things I should know?

08450ER
05-18-2008, 07:22 PM
Hey guys,

Finally bought my first Atv. 2008 Red/Black 450ER. I have ridden many times buy never owned my own!:D It's awesome!!
I have many ?'s so here are some of them.

-Best way to clean it
-Is it ok to run 100+ octane in it when it's new. Less than a tank through it now
-Do I need to finish breaking it in before I do any mods or did the guys at the dealership already give it hell
-I wan't an exhaust, Sound isn't an issue to me,I'm not racing. Just riding on private land. I wan't a deep,loud, ultra-light exhaust, what do I get?

Anything elese I should know about my quad that's really important?

Thanks a lot guys

Nick110
05-18-2008, 07:55 PM
Congrats on the purchase. As far as cleaning it, pick up some Simple Green at a Walmart or hardware store. A regular garden hose will work but a power washer can save some time.

There is no need to run anything above 93 octane in your quad because the CR is only 12.1. You will see no benefit from using anything higher in octane unless its U4.

You need to break it in. Check out this site for that. http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Now for exhaust go with any of these... DASA, Sparks, Rossier, HMF, TC, FMF. You will not be disappointed with any. Heres my DASA.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/nick110/DSCF0315.jpg

Only other thing you should know is to keep up on the maintenance: Oil changes, keeping filter clean, checking/adjusting valves, lubing chain and other parts, checking/replaceing bearings, etc.

BlaineKaiser450
05-18-2008, 07:59 PM
that pretty much sums it up

08450ER
05-18-2008, 07:59 PM
How about the yoshi titanium?? Are those good pipes? Do they make good power?

So to wipe the dirt off the plastics etc, just used simple green/mild soap and water and like a wash mit. Do I need to be careful about electronics/ cover any holes etc????

O, I forgot to add,

When I bought it I got 36 month's free maint, 36 month's war that covers everything. The guy at the dealership said no matter what I do blow motor up etc, it covered. Also the free maint covers valves adjusted etc.. He said that its good that I got that because it was like $450

Ok, so out of all of those exhaust. With your expierence, I want the best for my quad. I want titanium. Which one would you choose?

BlaineKaiser450
05-18-2008, 08:01 PM
yoshi makes goop pipes, but id just go with a Sparks, Dasa or Rossier

Nick110
05-18-2008, 08:09 PM
What I do is first hose it all down with just water, then spray simple green on everything. Let it sit for a little bit, then wash it off. then spray it again with the green and scrub the areas that the dirt didnt come off of. You dont need to worry about the electircal but get an exhaust plug for the exhaust and make sure your airbox lid is on when you wash it.

The yoshi is a nice exhaust but there are better Bang-for-the-bucks out there. The ones I mentioned are between 400 and 500 Dollars.

Good job going with the 36 month maint. thing, but be careful most likely they will not cover everything , like a blown motor. Honda is gay like that.

Nick110
05-18-2008, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by 08450ER

Ok, so out of all of those exhaust. With your expierence, I want the best for my quad. I want titanium. Which one would you choose?

If you want the best then go with DASA, Rossier, or sparks. Titanium is over kill and the reduced is so minute that it wont make a difference. My brother ran the yoshi titanium full exhaust and blew a hole in the titanium, then he gave it to my buddy who got a new titanium wrap for the silencer, he then blew a hole in it within a week.

So in my opinion I would not get a yoshi.

08450ER
05-18-2008, 08:17 PM
The manager said that the warr. is full coverage so it better cover everything!!! He said that if I break a rod,axle,etc.Bring it right back and they with put a new motor/axle in it $0 deductable, no
?'s asked!!!

Pojo450r
05-19-2008, 11:01 AM
keep all stock parts you change out because if something does happen to the moter be sure you put factory parts back on before u take it to dealer because they can say the after market parts was to blame and could void the warrenty

Pojo450r
05-19-2008, 11:04 AM
as for pipe i run full rossier it has the deep sound that u like

redexrider4290
05-19-2008, 11:13 AM
well you definately went the right way with a 450 for your fist bike. And i like my fatboy 4

05-19-2008, 03:42 PM
Dasa!

450rJam
05-19-2008, 05:13 PM
you said you want "the best"

ROSSIER

deep thoaty tone and as good as it gets performance wise

but, the best bang for your buck would be the hrc kit
(all honda parts and it wont void waranty)

it will turn your atv from dr. jekyll to mr. hyde

08450ER
05-19-2008, 05:16 PM
It's a hard choice. 50% say Dasa, the other sparks, or rossier. Hmm... Let me think....

ok if I get dasa, where do I order it from? How much for my 08' 450ER?

Also, for nerf bars? Are AC Racing the best? Which one should I get?

I also want the Carbon Fiber hood? Which one should I get?

Ahh:D I'm so excited. I want to fix it up! It so much fun!!! I just got done riding it in my back yard and I want to go back outside again! Just don't wanna piss off neighbors! lol hahah

Dave400ex
05-19-2008, 05:26 PM
Exhaust = HMF Sport full system

Rath nerf bars are the Best, Period

I like Quadtech hoods

Nick110
05-19-2008, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
Exhaust = HMF Sport full system

Rath nerf bars are the Best, Period

I like Quadtech hoods

Exhaust it really comes down to what one you think looks best. The prices are all with in 100$ dollars. If you want a DASA get it through WPP racing or Fuel ATV.

Raths are deffinatly the best nerf bars I have ever owned and rode on. I have owned DG, Cobra, and Blingstar in the past but now ride rath.

Quadtech or Gen X hoods are the best.

isma2racer9
05-20-2008, 07:21 AM
if you want a pipe that sounds amazing get a sparks, i have one on my 450 and i use it for racing.... rath nerfs and quad tech hood

08450ER
05-20-2008, 05:43 PM
Ok I made my decision!!

I'm going to buy the sparks exhaust!!! Two ?'s..

Is it deep and loud??

Where can I order it online??

Also a ? on the nerf bars!

Are the rath racing heavier duty, or thicker than A/C Racing / I'm just a bigger rider 200 pnds I need something sturdy!

Thanks guys!:)

Nick110
05-20-2008, 06:45 PM
Yes its deep and loud.

And the Raths will hold up. My brother rides my quad and hes 265.

Reticle
05-20-2008, 10:11 PM
Imo, the Moose Racepeg nerfs w/ Heelguards fit the lines of the 450R better than any other I've seen. Another thing, make a quality steering stabilizer one of your first add ons, probably one of the single most important (and overlooked) mods you can (and should) make.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x235/UnionWrkr_photos/IMG_1712.jpg

08450ER
05-21-2008, 06:19 PM
Here's my bike!! All stock only 4 days old!!!
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r10/lexuss84/IMG_2504.jpg:D

quadwanter
05-22-2008, 05:41 PM
good lookin bike! but beware, you have been infected by the ATV bug. Side affects are, spending all your money on after market parts to go faster then you actually need to.

:devil: have fun with it.

08450ER
05-22-2008, 07:08 PM
What do you guys think of hyper wheels? I wan't some.. But I have no idea what offset etc.. to get. There so many different spec's.

Reticle
05-22-2008, 07:18 PM
Need to decide what the majority of your riding will consist of. Things like axle and A-arm width have a lot to do with what offset you will ultimately go with.

08450ER
05-22-2008, 07:50 PM
Well pretty much trails,open fields, and jumping! I'm not going to do motocross, I just want a fast,bullettproof atv, that looks bad ***!! I really new to atv's so i'm not even sure what I would need as far as suspension goes etc!1

pro-rider46
05-22-2008, 08:00 PM
if i was ever going to buy aftermarket wheels, which i will hopefully soon will, i would buy 4:1 offsets, they are the most center in the wheel i believe, and they make it handle better than any other wheel that extends your width believe it or not, now i know im not a suspension guru or anything close this is jsut what i have heard.

pro-rider46
05-22-2008, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by 08450ER
Well pretty much trails,open fields, and jumping! I'm not going to do motocross, I just want a fast,bullettproof atv, that looks bad ***!! I really new to atv's so i'm not even sure what I would need as far as suspension goes etc!1

i would go with some stockers that are rebuilt by c&d or someone along those lines, they make your stockers perform like aftermarkets, and they are a lot cheaper. and since your not really racing im sure that the rebuilds will certainly serve their purpose.

Flyin-Low
05-22-2008, 08:52 PM
Why are you putting all of these mods on this thing right away? It's your first quad and guaranteed you're not riding near the potential it has stock..

Personally I'd wait.. It will probably make you a better rider in the long run but that's all your choice. To each their own.

But if you want a pipe go with the best! Rossier:

Reticle
05-25-2008, 03:15 PM
Once again, this is just my opinion. The first thing you should sink money into is a stabilizer. My Precision saved my *** a trip to the hospital yesterday.

TheNewn
05-25-2008, 07:30 PM
In my opinion, you should be very sure what you're buying is what you want. Because with quads and parts, the money can stack up right quick.

I'd get a Dasa, Some nerfs, and a steering stabilizer to start with. Also look into the HRC kit.

After those, i'd do a C&D racing or a GT Thunder stock shock rebuild set up, tires, and a few other th ings for comfort.

Do a LOT of research before you start dumping your money into the quad, be sure what you buy is what you want.

...Get a Dasa...

TheNewn
05-25-2008, 07:31 PM
Oh yeah, and if where you ride is rocky and what not, get skid plates ASAP, could save you a lot of money.

Reticle
05-25-2008, 07:34 PM
The thing I am getting at is this. For a first time quad, the 450R is PLENTY fast stock. Put the money into stuff that will save your *** when you push it past the edge a little too far before you spend money on stuff that will bring that edge a lot closer than you need it to be.

08450ER
05-26-2008, 07:56 PM
I understand that my bike is plenty fast stock! I would like it faster! Is that a crime?:ermm: I have ridden atv's before and dirtbikes. This is the first one I have personally owned, not ridden!!

As far as skids go, I saw a couple on a website but they looked like cheap,thin alum. that would bend easy. Any titanium ones out there or really strong alum???

Thanks guyz

TheNewn
05-26-2008, 08:01 PM
Unless you're really in the rocky stuff (like around where i ride) a .190 (3/16ths) skid plate on the swing arm and a .190 on the belly would be fine. You coudl slap some on the a-arms too if you like.

If you feel you need more, you can go to .250 (1/4 inch) on the swing arm.

titanium would be a total was on a skid plate... the aluminum more than does its job.

Dave400ex
05-26-2008, 09:11 PM
I would get PRM skid plates.