PDA

View Full Version : Birch Creek District 13 Race (05-17-08)

quad2xtreme
05-18-2008, 02:26 PM
Finally, I have a few pics of me racing. My wife went with me and used our Nikon D80 for the first time. Unfortunately, she didn't get many pics of others...well, a few she thought were me due to similar quads and gear.

Birch Creek is a great track for racing from the youth classes on the way to the 40+ class I raced in yesterday.

The triple during 4 laps of practice...

quad2xtreme
05-18-2008, 02:28 PM
The turn right before the triple. Only one rider hit the triple...and it wasn't me. It was Matt Butler (#51). He is in the A class and walks away from the others. Much like Byrd used this triple to beat Wimmer a few weeks ago.

quad2xtreme
05-18-2008, 02:29 PM
Landing short on the triple...

quad2xtreme
05-18-2008, 02:30 PM
another...

quad2xtreme
05-18-2008, 02:39 PM
and the best for last...I placed 2nd again (but much closer to 1st place this time). I could have placed 2nd in the 30+ class if I would have signed up for it instead. There were only 3 riders in each class so we started at the same time. I finished about 20 seconds behind the winner in the 30+ class and about 10 seconds behind the winner in my class.

quad2xtreme
05-18-2008, 02:48 PM
Matt Butler hitting the triple...

quad2xtreme
05-18-2008, 02:49 PM
another...can anyone photoshop this with the #316? :D

quad2xtreme
05-18-2008, 02:54 PM
This is a really cool jump. You really can't tell from the picture but the takeoff seems really steep and the lander is definitely steep. I am not used to gassing it so much going downhill. The funny thing is the next jump is really small so you gas it like crazy and then hit your brakes to slow down before hitting the next jump. I overshot the next jump yesterday which is about an 18'-20' flat landing. I just prayed on the way down that my balljoints didn't snap. Edit: Meant to add a BIG KUDOS to Colby at C&D Racing for his rebuild on my Stadium shocks. These front shocks are better now than when I got them new!!!

JRP
05-18-2008, 02:58 PM
Heck ya jon! hahaha. I didn't get to see you much yesterday, I was so tired after the first moto i couldnt even move, haha, then right after the 2nd moto we pretty much packed up and headed home, so i couldnt say congrats to really anyone! Good job though man! I have some pics my friend stephen(53 on a yfz, A class) his gf liz took of me....

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p16/jrp859/birchcreek4.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p16/jrp859/birchcreek3.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p16/jrp859/birchcreek2.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p16/jrp859/birchcreek.jpg

quad2xtreme
05-18-2008, 02:58 PM
A little feel for the takeoff of the jump in the previous picture...

quad2xtreme
05-18-2008, 03:02 PM
Jordan,

I didn't really get to watch you race at all. Your class was right before mine. As soon as you guys took off, we had to line up. Because you were mixed up with A class riders, it was hard to tell who was where...not to mention I was just busy trying to stay calm.

I seriously doubt Connie took a single picture of you. I didn't see any of Cole either.

How did you do? I assume your quad stayed together this time.

/Jon

JRP
05-18-2008, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
Jordan,

I didn't really get to watch you race at all. Your class was right before mine. As soon as you guys took off, we had to line up. Because you were mixed up with A class riders, it was hard to tell who was where...not to mention I was just busy trying to stay calm.

I seriously doubt Connie took a single picture of you. I didn't see any of Cole either.

How did you do? I assume your quad stayed together this time.

/Jon

Hahaha yea, i really wanted to watch your whole moto, but as soon as i got off the track i went right back to the trailer, got in the shade, and drank some water, i was exhausted to say the least....

I did ok considering completely stock quad and only 2nd time riding it, but overall it was ok. Moto one I got 5th outta the holeshot(outta 10 guys) and i made some mistakes in a few corners and lost 2 positions. I finished out the 1st moto in 7th. I was really mad but I just didnt have the endurance. Its weird because I have the speed, i just need to work on the endurance part, lol. 2nd moto i got 3rd outta the holeshot and carried it right behind cole for 2.5 laps, then i made a mistake again in a corner(so dusty i couldnt see) and got hung up on a berm. Stayed in 4th the rest of the moto till the last lap i was right on the bumper of 3rd place, but i couldnt get it, one more corner I would of had him.

JRP
05-18-2008, 03:18 PM
oh and i ended up with 5th overall. Pretty chitty, but oh well, lol. It was funny though, gary barnes was going over how many laps and stuff, and he said 4 laps for everyone. Then my dumbass was like, well what about A/B? And he said well i guess since A is going to do 6, you guys can do 6 too:p Cole was like helll yea(endurance like crazy) and i was pumped because I thought i could do it to, hahah noooopes. Give me some more seat time and i think ill be able to do it.

quad2xtreme
05-18-2008, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by JRP
Heck ya jon! hahaha. I didn't get to see you much yesterday, I was so tired after the first moto i couldnt even move, haha, then right after the 2nd moto we pretty much packed up and headed home, so i couldnt say congrats to really anyone! Good job though man! I have some pics my friend stephen(53 on a yfz, A class) his gf liz took of me....

I ran all 4 laps in the 2nd moto at full speed. I really struggled in the first moto with fatigue. I definitely could have run a 3rd moto. I've been training on the elliptical for 40 minutes 5 days a week. The first 5 minutes almost kill me...by the time I hit 20 minutes I am fine...at 40 minutes I quit from boredom but feel like I could easily run for an hour. I started taking the full regiment of Moto-X-Nutrition products. I think the REM-X is helping most. I am sleeping more soundly now that ever. I almost feel like I would do better if we ran the 4 laps of practice and then lined up to race. :eek2: Made me realize you had to run 6 laps yesterday instead of 4. How was that?

I really want to race in the C class. I want to pass more people and/or fight off more people from passing me. I might run the C class next time. It isn't like I am going to win some overall for the season or the series.

By the way, how is the Lake Sugar Tree track?

quad2xtreme
05-18-2008, 03:33 PM
5th is still really good. Those two classes are extremely fast. If you stayed in C class, you would be cleaning up. Kudos to you guys for moving up. I told your dad before the 2nd moto that Cole is getting some really good experience running those Nationals. There is no replacement for seat time. Cole finished 3rd against the A class riders and would have had 2nd if the race would have lasted a little longer.

I need to get more seat time. I only practiced that one day at NCMP for 4 hours between the last race a month ago and this race. It takes me 4 laps just to get the feel of things again. I wish I had a practice track I could hit each night after I got home from work.

JRP
05-18-2008, 03:37 PM
I ran all 4 laps in the 2nd moto at full speed. I really struggled in the first moto with fatigue. I definitely could have run a 3rd moto. I've been training on the elliptical for 40 minutes 5 days a week. The first 5 minutes almost kill me...by the time I hit 20 minutes I have fine...at 40 minutes I quit from boredom but feel like I could easily run for an hour. I started taking the full regiment of Moto-X-Nutrition products. I think the REM-X is helping most. I am sleeping more soundly now that ever. I almost feel like I would do better if we ran the 4 laps of practice and then lined up to race. :eek2: Made me realize you had to run 6 laps yesterday instead of 4. How was that?

I really want to race in the C class. I want to pass more people and/or fight off more people from passing me. I might run the C class next time. It isn't like I am going to win some overall for the season or the series.

By the way, how is the Lake Sugar Tree track?

Yea it seems like i struggle more from not riding for say 2hrs then going out and running a moto, but the 2nd moto i always am faster in for some reason... lol

Im working with christian right now at moto x nutirition but i didnt take any supplements this past weekend, im saving my race package for this comming weekend at highpoint, so hopefully i will be strong for that! Man jon, 6 laps is killer! I dont think it would of been to bad on my honda, but with a stock quad, it killed me. "I" didnt get tired, but my forearms just got so worn out, by the 5th n 6th lap i couldnt use my front break or clutch, it was bad. haha. You should deffinately run C class, alot more people/competition, i think it would make you a better rider forsure!

Lake sugar tree is actually a real fun track. Nothing real big, but the have FOUR whoop sections now:rolleyes: Its retarded, lol. They have like one section of whoops that are like supercross, and even the A classguys on the bikes can't skim them, they are nuts. Apparently now they put a whoop section as soon as you land a 80ft table, and they are peaked as hell, so idk, should be pretty crazy. Ive won there the last 2 times ive went, so I think im gonna go again and see how it goes. When is the race?

JRP
05-18-2008, 03:39 PM
5th is still really good. Those two classes are extremely fast. If you stayed in C class, you would be cleaning up. Kudos to you guys for moving up. I told your dad before the 2nd moto that Cole is getting some really good experience running those Nationals. There is no replacement for seat time. Cole finished 3rd against the A class riders and would have had 2nd if the race would have lasted a little longer.

I need to get more seat time. I only practiced that one day at NCMP for 4 hours between the last race a month ago and this race. It takes me 4 laps just to get the feel of things again. I wish I had a practice track I could hit each night after I got home from work.

x2 jon. Cole is hauling, theres no words to describe him! In practice i would go out first, and him and matt would be right behind me, i could hold em off for a lap, then they would pass, and i would follow, but i couldnt keep that speed the whole time. Coles lap times get faster as the moto goes on, its crazy. This weekend really made me realize that the pros are crazy for holding a 12+ lap moto, and still be wfo the whole time, just crazy! I think im gonna move in with cole this summer, get a job down there, and just ride n train with him till i start college next year. Well atleast id like to do that!:p

quad2xtreme
05-18-2008, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by JRP
Yea it seems like i struggle more from not riding for say 2hrs then going out and running a moto, but the 2nd moto i always am faster in for some reason... lol

Im working with christian right now at moto x nutirition but i didnt take any supplements this past weekend, im saving my race package for this comming weekend at highpoint, so hopefully i will be strong for that! Man jon, 6 laps is killer! I dont think it would of been to bad on my honda, but with a stock quad, it killed me. "I" didnt get tired, but my forearms just got so worn out, by the 5th n 6th lap i couldnt use my front break or clutch, it was bad. haha. You should deffinately run C class, alot more people/competition, i think it would make you a better rider forsure!

Lake sugar tree is actually a real fun track. Nothing real big, but the have FOUR whoop sections now:rolleyes: Its retarded, lol. They have like one section of whoops that are like supercross, and even the A classguys on the bikes can't skim them, they are nuts. Apparently now they put a whoop section as soon as you land a 80ft table, and they are peaked as hell, so idk, should be pretty crazy. Ive won there the last 2 times ive went, so I think im gonna go again and see how it goes. When is the race?

May 31st

Pappy
05-18-2008, 04:54 PM
This is a really cool jump. You really can't tell from the picture but the takeoff seems really steep and the lander is definitely steep. I am not used to gassing it so much going down hill. The funny thing is the next jump is really small so you gas it like crazy and then hit your brakes to slow down before hitting the next jump. I overshot the next jump yesterday which is about an 18'-20' flat landing. I just prayed on the way down that my balljoints didn't snap.

congrats on your finish jon!

that jump is weird and even harder to shoot. you never know when a rider will over shoot it and be on top of you!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2327/2472045601_4f84b2d834_o.jpg

and the pro's had them pinned down the back side!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2403/2472053999_a7d66f007c_o.jpg

jherbie28
05-18-2008, 05:12 PM
congrats jon looking good out there man..........looks like your getting some great real race track time:) shoot me a pm man id like to tell ya whats been going on.

dan harris
05-18-2008, 09:10 PM
Great race Jon, and tell Connie she took good pics for us to see. Looking forward to seeing you at the Night Race this Saturday.

05-19-2008, 07:17 AM
Trimming fenders I get for race cut, but drilling holes in them? (see pappy's pic) You know how little air resistance that would change. More like a gimic for people who need it.