PDA

View Full Version : Need quick tip

Hollywood38
05-18-2008, 01:58 PM
Hi everyone...New to the forum..Love all the info..Just bought an 02 400ex completely stock other than bandit rear tires..20"..Just wanted to know what you guys are runing for sprocket sizes??I mostly woods ride..No track...Thanks

Hondamaster5505
05-18-2008, 02:13 PM
Leave the gearing stock.

Stock tires are also 20" and stock is geared pretty low. Perfect for trails, actually. Going down a tooth would be way overkill, and going up one would make it less trail friendly.

Just my $.02

And welcome to the forums!

jrafter
05-18-2008, 02:32 PM
14/38

Hollywood38
05-18-2008, 02:34 PM
Thanks Honda master..thats what I thought..It pulls really hard..

Hondamaster5505
05-18-2008, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Hollywood38
Thanks Honda master..thats what I thought..It pulls really hard..

No problem. I like the stock, because you can chug along in first gear easily in the tight stuff, but still hit top speed above 60. It's perfect imo.

Rip_Tear
05-18-2008, 04:09 PM
Stock tires actually measure 19" or mine did...

But I dropped one tooth in the rear to give myself some extra speed, the 400ex has plenty enough low end.

05-18-2008, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Rip_Tear
Stock tires actually measure 19" or mine did...

But I dropped one tooth in the rear to give myself some extra speed, the 400ex has plenty enough low end.

yeah i got like 19.25" on my stock tires. I guess if you ballon them up tey will be 20" lol. Anyways for gearing I have 15/38 and the stock tires and I think its perfect with a few mods. Stock pipe and all I would drop it down but add a good pipe, airfilter, rejet it, and a curtis sparks advanced timing key or a AMR monster coil and it will climb right through those gears having 15/38. I have just the mods listed in my signature and its pretty good but I still need that extra something to have it get up and go when racing others and stuff. So i'm going ot get the curtis sparks advanced timing key. After that what I have is plenty. All stock though I would drop it down to a 14 front and if you mod it go back to 15

Hollywood38
05-18-2008, 05:47 PM
Thanks FoxHondaRider..I'm going to take your advice..My next question was going to be what mod next..You just answered it all for me...This forum is great..Thanks guys

Hondamaster5505
05-18-2008, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Hollywood38
Thanks FoxHondaRider..I'm going to take your advice..My next question was going to be what mod next..You just answered it all for me...This forum is great..Thanks guys

Your first mods should definitely be an exhaust and filter. They really wake the bike up. A timing key also, if you can.

But, if you really want to wake her up, and have the money, an 11:1 piston with a stage 1 or 2 cam makes a WORLDS difference on the 400ex. The 400ex's are naturally low compression, so the piston helps a lot.

But yes, exhaust is a definite.

Hollywood38
05-18-2008, 06:08 PM
I really cant spend 300 on an exhaust right now..I checked out the thread for stock muffler modification, and probaly going to do it..I already have a filter(K&N).Next would be the jetting, Right?

Rip_Tear
05-19-2008, 04:06 PM
You may not need to jet after just an air filter, but it'd be good to check the plug, although if it's not coughing, backfiring etc after the air filter it'll probably be fine since the stock jetting is pretty fuel rich anyways.

Although many people say about engine mods, if you are seriously getting into the sport you may want to upgrade handling items first such as suspension, a-arms, steering dampener, tires.

Although adding a slip on or doing other little mods like; nerf bars, handle bars etc. Until you know how you want to ride your quad (mx, trails etc) you will just have to mod your bike the way you want to. Upgrade what you thing the weaknesses are when you are riding.

Adding power (pipe, piston etc) isn't any good if you can't control the power (suspension/ability etc).

Good luck and just remember to have fun and stay safe.

Gatekeeper
05-19-2008, 06:58 PM
I went to a 14/38 a few months back and love the improvement.
I ride a lot of rocky areas and tight woods. I like I can lug second all the way down to almost a dead stop to go around a tree then crack the throttle and can pull second gear to rapidly accelerate (usually to the next tree!) Alot less shifting in the tight woods.

Also nice for rocky hillclimbs 2nd and third. The acceleration is much improved, lost very little on the topend but I get there much faster, think I made up for the loss when I removed the choke. First is really low and dont use it much except in the boulders, hopping a lot of logs, and mud. Maybe I shouldve got a 4x4 :p