PDA

View Full Version : Stripped threads in my 400ex head

CGriff
05-18-2008, 09:39 AM
K so I just finished rebuilding the top end of my 400ex, I did everything myself. When I put the valve cover on I tightened all the bolts to 60% of the recomended torque in a criss cross pattern like suggested, but the when I went to tighten them up all the way 2 of the long bolts stripped on the threads in the head... not sure why this happend. Anyway I'm gonna have to rip it all apart again and put helicoils in... But heres my question can i run it for a bit without doing ddamage? I just wanna see what the 426 kit feels like. Oh and I torqued the the valve cover bolts to 8 ft-lbs can anyone double check that torque spec for me, and is the bigger bolt in the middle a different torque spec?

CGriff
05-18-2008, 06:35 PM
Anyone have any thoughts?

05-18-2008, 06:37 PM
Where can I find the torque specs? I always end up overtightening everything lol

nofear911
05-18-2008, 06:46 PM
I used "keenserts" to repair mine.
I found them on the grainger.com website.
They are not cheap, but work better than helicoils, and will not pull out. They are not easy to install, so be careful, you can ruin the head.

400exrider_88
05-18-2008, 06:56 PM
i put helicoils in mine and ended up breaking a bolt when i tryed torquing it down. i think the torque is 11 ibs. and 17 for the center bolt. i dont know how well its going to work b/c i havent ran the motor yet, so hopefully it doesnt leak oil. this winter i;ll probably buy a new head.

CGriff
05-18-2008, 08:11 PM
I just thought of something, I heard that grease or lube can afect torque accuracy.. I put a lil anti sieze on the threads maybe that has something to do with it?