PDA

View Full Version : Smoke house and root cellar

Pappy
05-17-2008, 12:19 AM
Does anyone have either of these....I need to try and find some pictures of both (inside and out)

I intend to build both but am not having much luck finding images online....hopefully some of you farm boys have them or maybe your grandparents still utilize them

Thanks

TRUE
05-17-2008, 10:33 AM
try searching google for smokehouse plans or something another.

dpizz450
05-17-2008, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
am not having much luck finding images online..

Originally posted by TRUE
try searching google for smokehouse plans or something another.

read the original post.

sorry couldn't help lol.

TRUE
05-17-2008, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by YZrida
read the original post.

correct, you read the original post.

when searching google using the description I used numerous images came up along with plans!

dpizz450
05-17-2008, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by TRUE
correct, you read the original post!

when searching google using the description I used numerous images came up along with plans!

ok lol well what description did u use? u search under images?

Pappy
05-17-2008, 01:00 PM
gee thanks true, i never thought of that:p :ermm:

if ya run across some, post them, if not no big deal. i would prefer some of working units not some internet survivalist wanna be who hasnt used it yet (thats why i want someone who has one or has access to one and can hopefully offer some suggestion son how well it works or what they would change, something google searches havent produced)

JJs450r
05-17-2008, 06:15 PM
found a couple dont know if it will do u ne good

JJs450r
05-17-2008, 06:15 PM

YFZRB
05-17-2008, 06:20 PM
Hey Pap-

The farm I worked at as a kid is still using their root cellar, I will ask if I can snap some shots of theirs. It's been like 25 years since I was in it so I will ask them what they think about how well it has worked for them over the years.

JJs450r
05-17-2008, 06:20 PM
think this might be a lil more help

jcv400ex
05-18-2008, 08:44 AM
We built a 4' x 4' x 8' tall building, leave the eaves vented t allow the smoke to escape. we jus tarpapered the whole thing, roof and sides. you can drill a hole in the door for a thermometer. we dug a ditch big enough for a 6 inch stove pipe to lay in. cut a hole in the bottom of the smoke house for a 6 inch stove pipe, run your elbow, then go 6' with stove pipe down the ditch to a barrel stove. We always have the stove on the outside, so we can control the heat and smoke easier that way.

You can build the inside of the smoke house anyway you want, depends on what you are smoking. we just do sausage, so we use closet dowels and I just cut notches in strips of plywood and nail it to the sides for the dowels to hang in.

I'll snap some pics tomorrow after work....it's rainin out! :p