PDA

View Full Version : how to break in engine

hypersnyper6947
05-16-2008, 10:18 PM
I am rebuilding my engine now and i was wondering what is the best way to break it in? I have a new stage 2 hot cam, new rockers, new HD timing chain, just been re sleeved with 440, new wiseco piston and heavy duty head studs. Also what bearings should i replace while im doing this rebuild. Thanks

Speedy 400ex
05-16-2008, 10:40 PM
Break in the cams as it says in the drections that it came with for like half a tank and then beat on it and run it like u all ways do. That is what i heard. some one crect me if im wrong.

hypersnyper6947
05-16-2008, 11:01 PM
I heard 10 hours of half throttle. But i have also heard other things. I would like to here what a senior member has to say about it.

bearair
05-17-2008, 12:07 AM
There's no way I'd ride for 10 hours only going to half throttle. You need to seat the rings after you break in the cam. Follow the cam break in initially, then follow the Honda break in schedule for the motor. Personally I don't baby my motors after the first hour of riding or so. Make sure you are on and off the throttle quite a bit during the first couple hours. That loads and unloads the rings which helps them to wear and seat into the cylinder properly. After that, run it like you're going to.

hypersnyper6947
05-17-2008, 12:16 AM
Where can i find the honda break in schedule for the motor. Will that be in my clymer manuel when i get it in the mail.

jrafter
05-17-2008, 06:23 AM
i would heat cycle it a couple of times than ride it like your going to.

and change the oil after 20hrs.

i rode the piss out of mine and have never had a problem and it has 100s of hrs on it.

jrafter
05-17-2008, 06:27 AM
whats a senior member......most of these kids know more than the old guys

UNBROKEN
05-17-2008, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by jrafter
whats a senior member......most of these kids know more than the old guys

correct becuse who waits 20hrs to change there oil :eek2:

REPOMAN
05-17-2008, 09:03 AM
i break my stuff in like i am going to ride. i usually take it easy for only the first hour of riding

05-17-2008, 09:04 AM
the breakin process is very controversal. Some say the heat cycles, some say baby it, some say ride it how you normally ride. Honda i think suggests to take it easy but people disagree saying that method the rings dont seat properly.

Wheelie
05-17-2008, 09:05 AM
Here's how I break my engines in:

Start it, let it run at a fast idle for about a minute. Go out and ride it for a couple minutes varying RPMS. Shut it off and change the oil. Let the bike completely cool down.

Start it up again, warm it up and ride it again for a bit longer than the first time, varying RPMS. Shut it off and change the oil again. Let the bike completely cool down.

Go out and ride it for awhile occassionally opening her up. Ride it for an hour or two. Change the oil again. Then you're good to go.

UNBROKEN
05-17-2008, 09:49 AM
i veried the rpms and let it cool every 15 minutes of riding then changed the oil at 1 hour then every 5 after that

05-17-2008, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by UNBROKEN
i veried the rpms and let it cool every 15 minutes of riding then changed the oil at 1 hour then every 5 after that

dang thats a lot of oil!

hypersnyper6947
05-17-2008, 11:27 AM
cool thanks for all your replies,

I was wondering what are the main bearings that i should replace during this rebuild??

Also i was going to use amsoil 20w50 synthetic oil is that good?

UNBROKEN
05-17-2008, 11:31 AM
no after my rebuild the first hour i changed my oil then after that every 5 hrs after that , but i change my filter every 15 hrs

UNBROKEN
05-17-2008, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by hypersnyper6947
cool thanks for all your replies,

I was wondering what are the main bearings that i should replace during this rebuild??

Also i was going to use amsoil 20w50 synthetic oil is that good?

amsoil 20w50 is great oil but use it after u break it in

hypersnyper6947
05-17-2008, 11:50 AM
what oil should i use for the break in process

UNBROKEN
05-17-2008, 11:55 AM
any oil that made for wet cluches / motorcycles and are non synthetic like spectro, valvalene 10w40 ....

jrafter
05-17-2008, 02:10 PM
no after my rebuild the first hour i changed my oil then after that every 5 hrs after that , but i change my filter every 15 hrs

thats over kill......even hondas says first at 20hrs and 100hrs after.......or maybe your just using some cheap oil.

Hondamaster5505
05-17-2008, 02:42 PM
1) Start engine. Let idle, with occasional blip of the throttle, until engine is warmed up. Shut off and let completely cool down.

2) Start engine again. This time, blipping the throttle a little more but not real high until warm. Shut down and let cool.

3) Start up. Ride around for about 30min's at around half throttle, but varying throttle.

4) Go ride for a while, but a little less hard then you normally do, occasionally hitting WOT.

5) Give her hell!

I always use that process on all of my quads, and it seems to work well. The key is to let it go through heating and cooling cycles the first two start-ups.

05-17-2008, 04:04 PM
If I changed my oil every 5 hours ride time I would be going through 4 quarts a week and during the summer it varies but it might be going through 6 quarts a week. I put a lot of hours and miles on my stuff. I change my oil when it starts to get dirty, I have no set time because it doesnt get dirty at the same time all the time. As for the filter every other oil change it gets a new filter. No need to change your oil every 5 hours, thats way over kill and if you have oil getting that dirty that quick you might have a problem.

REDRIDDER
05-17-2008, 09:20 PM
All i will add... and someone else will elaborate on this (GPracer2500)LOL..., is oil actually needs to be broken down to actually be used to its fullest extent for lubrication purposes so every 5hrs might be a little much? Every 10hrs after the initial 1hr period break in should be suffice... keep track of the metal fillings you'll find in your oil,oil filter and crankcase screen and keep us posted. good luck ..the clymer is an excellent choice for a manual too, as i see your getting one.

UNBROKEN
05-17-2008, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by jrafter
thats over kill......even hondas says first at 20hrs and 100hrs after.......or maybe your just using some cheap oil.

What 100hrs :eek2: thats nuts idc wut oil u use it will breakdown fast in a engine that uses the engines oil as tranny oil 20 hrs is not all that bad if u use a good synthtic like amsoil mcv 20w50 i dont ride as much as most of u so i can afford to cahnged at 5 hrs when i put amsoil back in ill let it go to 10 or 12 hrs ...

UNBROKEN
05-17-2008, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
If I changed my oil every 5 hours ride time I would be going through 4 quarts a week and during the summer it varies but it might be going through 6 quarts a week. I put a lot of hours and miles on my stuff. I change my oil when it starts to get dirty, I have no set time because it doesnt get dirty at the same time all the time. As for the filter every other oil change it gets a new filter. No need to change your oil every 5 hours, thats way over kill and if you have oil getting that dirty that quick you might have a problem.

And who is the guy with low compression and now needs a new topend :devil:

REDRIDDER
05-17-2008, 09:26 PM
one more thing is I'm sure i remember the Hot cams also said that the oil should be changed after 1hr of ride time according to the break in specs that came with my cam.

hypersnyper6947
05-17-2008, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
1) Start engine. Let idle, with occasional blip of the throttle, until engine is warmed up. Shut off and let completely cool down.

2) Start engine again. This time, blipping the throttle a little more but not real high until warm. Shut down and let cool.

3) Start up. Ride around for about 30min's at around half throttle, but varying throttle.

4) Go ride for a while, but a little less hard then you normally do, occasionally hitting WOT.

5) Give her hell!

I always use that process on all of my quads, and it seems to work well. The key is to let it go through heating and cooling cycles the first two start-ups.

Will this work well for my new cam also??

UNBROKEN
05-18-2008, 07:17 AM
with a new cam ust make sure it warms up a bit befo u give her hell and change the oil in the first hour after rebuild

HondaRaceReady
05-18-2008, 01:25 PM
With a new cam you can't let it idle at all. Start it up and rip on it to properly let the piston rings set into the cylinder and break in the cam.

sideways
05-18-2008, 05:52 PM
when breaking in your engine, you should be riding the bike. first, start it up, let it idle (if it will on its own, if not use the throttle to keep it running), after the engine has warmed up to operating temp, get on it and ride it. run through first, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th if you can, getting almost to full throttle in each gear. after the 1st 10 minutes of riding, your rings will be almost fully seated. after the 1st tank of gas, your rings are pretty much done seating themselves. after the 2nd tank your all set, ride it as you want.
you want the engine to be under load when breaking it in, otherwise there will be no pressure behind the rings (which forces them against the walls) and they will not form a proper seal against the cylinder walls.

my .02

kilgoja
05-18-2008, 08:47 PM
man some of you guys are nuts...i dunno where people get these ideas....the quad has been cranked well more than 2 times before you ever go look at it at the dealer....so i dunno what that one guy was talking about the first 2 startups...anyways...the first oil change is at 20hrs...after that is every 100hrs....that's like once a year for me as i don't ride all the time.....maybe one or two weekends a month.....people feed u all this crap....i had a honda three wheeler awhile back...we had that thing for 15 years no problems at all...i don't remember ever hardly changing the oil or even cleaning the air filter that much....and all these oils today are better anyways than oil from 15 years ago....i don't think they even had motorcycle oil back then...lol....it's the same way with cars...3000miles ...no way!....oil lasts alot longer than that...you're wasting money.....and it's not giving you better protection by changing your oil all the time...i mean one ride and your gonna get some dirt in the oil....so change it every time you ride?....no way...that's what the filter is for.....duh.....just follow the owner's manual....as for break in i've heard many stories....do this do that...yadda yadda yadda....i've never noticed any difference from anybodys quad that did different things....but i say take it easy for a bit and just slowly run it through the gears...not at full throttle....just run through the gears going up to about half throttle for the first tank at least....then just slowly build from there.....going full throttle or anything doesn't make your rings seat faster or better.....if anything u just burn more oil cuz the rings aren't seated yet....lol....i mean like people say when breaking in a car to rev it way up high and crap.....what about an automatic car that shifts at like 2500rpms? ....not 7000rpms....yet the automatic still breaks in fine doesn't it...i dunno...some people got the baby theory and others got the try to blow it up theory....take ur pic...lol...funny how the manufacturers all say to take it easy at first....they must know something about the engine they built and how to break it in right...who knows....someone buy two identical quads and try both methods...and let's see what happens...that's the only way to know for sure

sideways
05-18-2008, 09:12 PM
check this out,
www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

how i did my last breakin, lasted 4 years of hard hi revving riding. and when i took the piston out recently, everything looked in good shape. these are some pics in another thread, look at the piston, no discoloration around the rings.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=349917&highlight=my+first+rebuild

kilgoja
05-19-2008, 04:22 PM
yeah i saw that before ....who knows it might work fine...

hypersnyper6947
05-20-2008, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by sideways
when breaking in your engine, you should be riding the bike. first, start it up, let it idle (if it will on its own, if not use the throttle to keep it running), after the engine has warmed up to operating temp, get on it and ride it. run through first, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th if you can, getting almost to full throttle in each gear. after the 1st 10 minutes of riding, your rings will be almost fully seated. after the 1st tank of gas, your rings are pretty much done seating themselves. after the 2nd tank your all set, ride it as you want.
you want the engine to be under load when breaking it in, otherwise there will be no pressure behind the rings (which forces them against the walls) and they will not form a proper seal against the cylinder walls.

my .02

So i know that this is the best way since doing some research. The only thing is that to break in my new stage 2 cam they suggest not letting your engine idle and running at 3000rpm or better for 30min. They say to go light on the engine. So my question is how am i going to break in the cam and the engine properly in the first 30min. Im supposed to let it warm up then run it somewhat hard for the first hour or so by acceleration and deceleration through 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear to seat the rings. But at the same time im supposed to start and not let it idle and take a light trail ride with only putting light loads on the engine to break in the cam. So what am i supposed to do, which is more important? Or can i somehow do both at the same time?

sideways
05-21-2008, 04:56 AM
fire up the engine, and vary the rpm's to quarter throttle when warming the engine up. then get on it for a light trail ride, keep a load on the engine for the first 20 minutes, tho not a heavy load. avoid hills and mud, you want a nice smooth trail. after the first 20 minute, start getting it to 3//4 throttle, still avoiding hills and mud, after the next 10 minutes, follow previous instructions. your cam will be broken in, and you can seat the rings fully by using more throttle/higher load for the rest of that tank of gas.

madmax400ex
05-21-2008, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by kilgoja
man some of you guys are nuts...i dunno where people get these ideas....the quad has been cranked well more than 2 times before you ever go look at it at the dealer....so i dunno what that one guy was talking about the first 2 startups...anyways...the first oil change is at 20hrs...after that is every 100hrs....that's like once a year for me as i don't ride all the time.....maybe one or two weekends a month.....people feed u all this crap....i had a honda three wheeler awhile back...we had that thing for 15 years no problems at all...i don't remember ever hardly changing the oil or even cleaning the air filter that much....and all these oils today are better anyways than oil from 15 years ago....i don't think they even had motorcycle oil back then...lol....it's the same way with cars...3000miles ...no way!....oil lasts alot longer than that...you're wasting money.....and it's not giving you better protection by changing your oil all the time...i mean one ride and your gonna get some dirt in the oil....so change it every time you ride?....no way...that's what the filter is for.....duh.....just follow the owner's manual....as for break in i've heard many stories....do this do that...yadda yadda yadda....i've never noticed any difference from anybodys quad that did different things....but i say take it easy for a bit and just slowly run it through the gears...not at full throttle....just run through the gears going up to about half throttle for the first tank at least....then just slowly build from there.....going full throttle or anything doesn't make your rings seat faster or better.....if anything u just burn more oil cuz the rings aren't seated yet....lol....i mean like people say when breaking in a car to rev it way up high and crap.....what about an automatic car that shifts at like 2500rpms? ....not 7000rpms....yet the automatic still breaks in fine doesn't it...i dunno...some people got the baby theory and others got the try to blow it up theory....take ur pic...lol...funny how the manufacturers all say to take it easy at first....they must know something about the engine they built and how to break it in right...who knows....someone buy two identical quads and try both methods...and let's see what happens...that's the only way to know for sure

AMEN - Brother! So true. :chinese:

UNBROKEN
05-21-2008, 01:15 PM
madmax400ex

change ure oil at 15 to 20 hrs and sent it off and get it tested then be a cheapskate and run the oil till 100 hrs and ull see how bad it is , the oil also lubricates the cluch and the tranny wich SHEARS THE OIL and the oil will lose viscosty so ure 10w50 might be a 10w20 if u leave it in for 100 hrs oil is not expensive ik i over change mine but thats cuz i just broke it in now ill let it go to 10 -15 hrs i ride once a week or 3 hrs a week so i can afford to change it

madmax400ex
05-21-2008, 01:33 PM
madmax400ex

change ure oil at 15 to 20 hrs and sent it off and get it tested then be a cheapskate and run the oil till 100 hrs and ull see how bad it is , the oil also lubricates the cluch and the tranny wich SHEARS THE OIL and the oil will lose viscosty so ure 10w50 might be a 10w20 if u leave it in for 100 hrs oil is not expensive ik i over change mine but thats cuz i just broke it in now ill let it go to 10 -15 hrs i ride once a week or 3 hrs a week so i can afford to change it

:scary: