PDA

View Full Version : fox shocks question

sideways
05-16-2008, 08:20 PM
I have been running my fox floats for almost a year now, and love them.
first question: Does anyone else run these shocks on their 400ex?
second question: what PSI do you usually run in them for xc/trail riding?
I have been running between 20-28 psi depending on the terrain. Just curious what everyone else is running for psi.

gcart2
05-16-2008, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by sideways
I have been running my fox floats for almost a year now, and love them.
first question: Does anyone else run these shocks on their 400ex?
second question: what PSI do you usually run in them for xc/trail riding?
I have been running between 20-28 psi depending on the terrain. Just curious what everyone else is running for psi.

im running +2 a arms for mx and way about 175 and was running 65-70.

PS: these shox look so cool IMO

sideways
05-18-2008, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by gcart2
im running +2 a arms for mx and way about 175 and was running 65-70.

PS: these shox look so cool IMO

i've had a lot of people ask me where the springs are on my shock....hahaha

seems like 65 psi is a lot, is that for casing jumps? im guessing you dont do much trail riding

gcart2
05-18-2008, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by sideways
i've had a lot of people ask me where the springs are on my shock....hahaha

seems like 65 psi is a lot, is that for casing jumps? im guessing you dont do much trail riding

so im not the only one whos been asked that... :p

nah i dont do much trail riding but if i do i drop it around 50 or so. and yea its better to have stiff shox than soft on a mx track. however my new 450 has elka elite quad rates and i feel as if i have spoiled myself :D

Warnerade
05-18-2008, 11:49 PM
the lower number you guys are talking about has nothing to do with shock stiffness...all that number does is adjust your ride height...the larger number is the one that adjusts the actual stiffness of the shock. As for MX...who the hell told you you want a stiffer shock over a soft sock? crazy.

sideways
05-19-2008, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by NacsRacer027
the lower number you guys are talking about has nothing to do with shock stiffness...all that number does is adjust your ride height...the larger number is the one that adjusts the actual stiffness of the shock. As for MX...who the hell told you you want a stiffer shock over a soft sock? crazy.

umm, actually, in a fox float, which is controlled by AIR inside the shock, the more psi you put in, the stiffer the shock, the less psi, the softer the shock. it does affect the ride height, the more you have, the higher the bike.

if you know something i dont about these shocks, please do explain. i am always willing to learn something new about the things i have.

gcart2
05-19-2008, 08:11 AM

have you ever rode on a mx track with stock shox? you know what happens? you bottom out. you need stiffer shox so you dont bottom out. If you dont know what your talking about please dont coem screwing othere people up. thank you:)

Warnerade
05-19-2008, 10:01 AM
maybe you should stop over shooting and casing jumps and try landing on the landings...

sideways....your right, the more pressure, the stiffer the shock...in the EVOL chamber, which is the larger number...I run mine around 145...

The smaller number in the main chamber has absolutely nothing to do with how stiff your shock is...

You do check both chambers, right?

sideways
05-19-2008, 11:47 AM

sideways....your right, the more pressure, the stiffer the shock...in the EVOL chamber, which is the larger number...I run mine around 145...

The smaller number in the main chamber has absolutely nothing to do with how stiff your shock is...

You do check both chambers, right?

i do not have the evol's, i have the regular floats, therefore i can only check the pressure in the main shock. i suppose i should have mentioned that in the original post.
this is my setup
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn77/prfakaharry/cellpics003.jpg

mitchamus
05-20-2008, 12:42 PM
are those upgradeable meaning can you add the expansion chamber/resviors to them later if you wanted to. if so do you know how much they are?