PDA

View Full Version : HRC kit vs. Aftermarket

04TRX400EX
05-16-2008, 12:50 PM
I am getting close to purchasing my 450R and want to know whether to get the HRC kit thrown into the deal or not.

What type of performance does the HRC cam produce? More bottom-mid or mid-top? How does it compare to a Hot Cam Stage 1 or 2?

What is the purpose of what looks to be an ignition module bypass? Can it be purchased separately and installed?

I guess I am steering away from the HRC kit mainly because I will be putting a complete DASA exhaust on it anyways so I do not need the header pipe and muffler insert.

d3ktrix
05-16-2008, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by 04TRX400EX
What type of performance does the HRC cam produce? More bottom-mid or mid-top? How does it compare to a Hot Cam Stage 1 or 2?

If your buying a 06+ model its a low end cam. Prolly will feel similar to a HC1.

What is the purpose of what looks to be an ignition module bypass? Can it be purchased separately and installed?

To get the same effect as that little harness attachment all you have to do it cut one of the green wires on the stock harness. Do a search on these forums and you'll see which one to cut.

I guess I am steering away from the HRC kit mainly because I will be putting a complete DASA exhaust on it anyways so I do not need the header pipe and muffler insert.

If you plan on getting a Full DASA system then the HRC kit is a total waste.
It would be cheaper to buy a cam suited for your ridng style and the full system. Instead of buying the full kit and then STILL buying a full system.

450rJam
05-17-2008, 06:40 AM
get the hrc kit, it comes with the crf cam and will give it a ton more power EVERYWHERE (closer to the hc2)

the sub harness just omits the green wire (+1000 rpm)

comes with the hrc needle (very good)
and the correct jetting

some other things too (larger T, res plug, etc.)

you can get $30 for stock pipe (works good on 04-05's)
and at least $100 for the hrc header (its a good one)
then $30 or so for the silencer w/hrc guts

take that 160 off the price of the dasa

that puts the 300 hrc kit at less than 150

I was able to deal the stealership into throwing the hrc in on mine

unless you plan on building it over 50hp get the kit

yfzmx10
05-17-2008, 07:04 AM
i run a sparks mx cam in mine and i love it. it has more bottom end then my dad's hrc bike

04TRX400EX
05-17-2008, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the opinions. We've purchased multiple quads from the same dealership where I will be getting my R from so I should be able to deal with them some more either on the price or maybe get them to throw in a HRC kit.

Otherwise, I will probably just do everything aftermarket with a Hot Cam, Dasa exhaust, cut the green wire and adjust jetting of course, and maybe a higher compression piston ... we'll see.

I will be setting it up for MX mostly so a cam with more low-end is the way to go, right? But by putting in a Stage 1 HC for example, will I lose any top-end? The quad will see the desert/woods as well so I don't want it to be strictly low-end power.

450rJam
05-17-2008, 06:02 PM
the hrc kit on the 06+ is an awesome kit

you may not need high compression (stock is 12:1)
compaired to the 10.5:1 compression for 04/05

the hrc cam for 06+ makes good power everywhere but great power low-mid

the hc2 also makes good power everywhere with slightly less low end and slightly more top end

I had the hrc kit put on my 06 and the cam is so damn good im not going to change it,
I added a rossier,port/polish,piston,pro-design K&N and still run the needle/cam