PDA

View Full Version : sand dunes

sheldo
05-16-2008, 12:07 PM
im thinking of going up to silver lake next weekend what i wanted to know is what do u guys do to clean all that sand out
do u replace wheel bearings after each trip
any input

moorhous
05-16-2008, 03:23 PM
I always brake some thing when I go there lol. But I think its just rider! you should be fine just clean it real good when your done just like any other ride.

REPOMAN
05-16-2008, 06:26 PM
i ride sand all the time and there is nothing special to do as far as cleaning goes. half the time i dont even clean after i ride at the dunes. sand doesnt usually stick and the ride home blows the sand off the quad. and your bearings should be good unless they are opened where sand can get in them.

burnthesnikle
05-16-2008, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by sheldo
im thinking of going up to silver lake next weekend what i wanted to know is what do u guys do to clean all that sand out
do u replace wheel bearings after each trip
any input

run throu a water hole...
there quad clean:eek2:

Yellow2004ex400
05-18-2008, 10:18 PM
I've ridden Glamis, CA before (Which is supposed to be some of the best dunes anywhere), and Pismo Beach, CA and I have never had to replace bearings. Just wash the quad when you get home. You should be alright.

mitchamus
05-19-2008, 06:08 AM
I just got back form silver lake. Just make sure you clean you air filter real good when you get back home.
And if you dont have an outerwears cover for your filter i recommend one. have fun and be safe out there.

redrider57
05-20-2008, 08:23 AM
Remember to NOT oil your chain before riding in the sand. All it does is creates noise and all kinds of wear.

trx400EXtreme
05-20-2008, 01:45 PM
i never clean my quad that much after a dune trip. the sand actually does a pretty good job of cleaning your plastics and stuff.

drew3623
05-23-2008, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by redrider57
Remember to NOT oil your chain before riding in the sand. All it does is creates noise and all kinds of wear.

I am not supposed to oil the chain when riding in sand? I only ride about once a month and I always lube it before going out. Should I stop?

zdowell
05-23-2008, 03:19 PM
he is just saying, when you oil it right before riding in sand, it will stick. My buddy chained out his bearings out after going to Little Sahara last weekend(which was ****ing AWSOME!!!) He races alot, and would rather fix it before it brakes so it doesn't happen during a race. btw he has a KTM 525 and it was a blast to ride!!!

AutoRoc
05-24-2008, 12:28 PM
My bearings have been fine so far. We just rode up there on the 17th-18th...Broke my leg going over the bars on Test Hill...:D haha I had a red 400EX, friends had stock 250r's and another a blue banshee that was pretty quick.

justin1022
05-25-2008, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by trx400EXtreme
i never clean my quad that much after a dune trip. the sand actually does a pretty good job of cleaning your plastics and stuff.

more like scratch your plastic to nothing especially if you role ha. I HATE SAND