PDA

View Full Version : Valve Adjustment

madmax400ex
05-16-2008, 08:03 AM
When adjusting valves with a feeler gauge, they say you should have a slight drag on the gauge, but it was kinda hard to feel a drag cause having to bend the feeler gauge in through the hole. Should i tighten it down then loosen it back until the gauge is free?
Plus everytime i tighten the lock nut down the the valve adjustment screw moves with it. Is there something i can do so this won't happen? Any advice?
thanks

05-16-2008, 08:12 AM
tighten them until you feel drag...make sure you bend/flex the feeler gauge enough so that it is not touching the head at all, just the valves...

as for not letting the screw move while tightening the nut, leave the wrench on the nut when you adjust the screw head, then leave the screwdriver blade in the slot while you tighten the nut...use the box end...

madmax400ex
05-16-2008, 09:17 AM
thanks for the advice. Yea i kept having that problem when i was using the gauge it would rub on the heads making it hard to feel the drag on the valves. Trying to bend the gauges in the hole without touching the heads was getting frustrating. I did try your advice with holding the screw while tightening the nut, but it still would move a very small amount. I guess i have to be more patient with it. Thanks for the help!

txredxj
05-16-2008, 09:19 AM
you can also use the guage one size up to check it. if it goes in then you are to loose but if it doesnt then you are good.

QuadManiac
05-16-2008, 10:38 AM
I tighten down the adjuster till i can't pull the gauge out then loosen till it starts slipping. Tighten the locknut, if it's still slipping with the same force, done!

madmax400ex
05-16-2008, 11:13 AM
Thanks for all the advice. definitley helps.

Yea crazy thing happened last night when i went to start the adjustments. Got the bike ripped down and started unscrewing the valve covers of course on my second valve cover it was stuck couldn't get it with my regular socket wrench so i grabbed my breaker bar and "SNAP" the screw head broke of the cover - NOOOOOOO!
fortunetly for me nothing went down into the heads and the threads came right out. So ordered the new cover and four new o-rings for the rest of the covers.
Believe it or not at MotoSport.com it costed me 30 dollars for all of that, seemed expensive, but they are OEM parts so i guess a can't complain. Ended up being a expensive valve adjustment Ha Ha.

Thanks Again

Honda#4
05-16-2008, 02:36 PM
I had problems also trying to adjust the valves, I broke my feeler gauge trying to bend it so that it didnt touch the head but I think I got it.

Gatekeeper
05-17-2008, 07:39 AM
I sliced my knuckle to the bone with the feeler guage when my hand slipped off the wrench! Ouch
The rest of the adjustment went well tho:rolleyes:

Honda#4
05-17-2008, 12:43 PM
Kinda funny really that something so easy is such a difficult thing to atempt.:D