PDA

View Full Version : SX vs XC

sheriff525
05-15-2008, 05:30 PM
Okay what is the difference between the XC 525 and a SX 525?

ktMan
05-15-2008, 06:11 PM
the xc 525 does not come in a sx 525, they call it a 505, and as far as i know changes are minor, different suspension, lower and a bit wider, thats just from what i have heard. i have not seen any stats yet

patrickj75
05-15-2008, 06:33 PM
the motors are completely different from the XC to the SX. the SX is a twin cam motor like what they have in the new motocross bikes. they're supposed to make more power than the XC motor.

vAnS_77
05-15-2008, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by patrickj75
the motors are completely different from the XC to the SX. the SX is a twin cam motor like what they have in the new motocross bikes. they're supposed to make more power than the XC motor.

Which will be interesting in itself considering the xc has the best HP of any production sport atv to date. Good point pat

patrickj75
05-15-2008, 08:57 PM
from the pics i've seen of the SX, i'd love to have one to race in the stock production class at the nationals. it will definitely change the face of the 450 class. it shows KTM's commitment to racing.

sheriff525
05-15-2008, 10:50 PM
When is it coming? and i bet it is going to be one awesome duner!

sheriff525
05-15-2008, 10:51 PM
Anyone have any pics or is it basically a XC.

OutlawBill
05-15-2008, 11:51 PM
http://www.ktmpress.com/typo3temp/pics/115fc64b62.jpg

vAnS_77
05-16-2008, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by sheriff525
When is it coming? and i bet it is going to be one awesome duner!

It will be the best production quad for motocross for sure. You might wanna go with the XC for dunes. this quad will have a +1 SS, +1 swing arm, stance of 50" comp reg. Go for the xc for dunes.

vAnS_77
05-16-2008, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by patrickj75
from the pics i've seen of the SX, i'd love to have one to race in the stock production class at the nationals. it will definitely change the face of the 450 class. it shows KTM's commitment to racing.

There wouldn't be any competition, except MAYBE for the ltr450. Not even that, this new engine i bet will produce over 43 hp bone stock. The xc produces 39, especially with those dual overhead cams. I'm putting a deposit down on the SX which my local dealer is now taking in Michigan. They are expecting a full sell-out of them by November this year. Dave at the dealership said highest deposit gets you the first they receive. All ktm dealers have price list atm.

05-17-2008, 07:04 PM
loll one is a mx race ready the other is xc

Scro
05-19-2008, 07:29 AM
Frame, plastic, bars, bumper...Everything else looks to be completely different:D

xsr_racing28c
05-19-2008, 11:31 AM
Just got off the phone with my dealer,and I guess he said the price list shows the KTM 450SX right around $12k.

Well anyways, Ive got mine on order and I should be seeing it around Sept 1. :)

Jay

Quadevil
05-19-2008, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Scro
Frame, plastic, bars, bumper...Everything else looks to be completely different:D

Frame is the same ;)

xsr_racing28c
05-19-2008, 12:41 PM
Yea I'm hoping the frame and geometry are the same. I've got my build sheet in motion, so I hope to have all parts here before delivery of the quad..

Anyone have all of the confirmed changes listed? This would help me a lot.

Thanks, Jay

pinoy525
05-20-2008, 03:14 PM
In pictures, the SX model looks like it has a slightly longer swing arm. Can anyone verify that?

lb_sa
05-24-2008, 09:51 AM
My local KTM dealer (been open since the 80's) told me that the XC is better machine for the price. He said the SX is ready for motocross but it will be $2,000 more, and the motor isn't as reliable. He said testing the XC and SX motors the XC is far more reliable and will last much longer. If he was going to buy one to race MX, he would get the XC and just put the a-arms on it and rims/tires. The Ohlins are also much better shocks I think then WP's. With $2,000 difference, you could purchase a-arms, mx tires, hipers, nerfs, and a few other minor things. Then you would also have the stuff for an XC race also if you wanted.

In other words, the SX is SICK, but I think the XC is the way to go.

vAnS_77
05-24-2008, 11:21 AM
The only thing lb, the sx also has a +1 Steering Stem, +1 swing arm, nerfs, a-arms and such. I believe its dual overhead cams vs single. Bone stock the machine they are perdicting 43-49 stock hp. I don't know about you but it all adds up in the end. Besides, once those parts go out just get knew. I believe this bike is going ot appeal to serouis racers only. Not just the 2 times a year at the track person.

xsr_racing28c
05-24-2008, 03:54 PM
lb sa<
How do you come up with A arms, Hipers, mx tires, and nerfs only being $2000?

YOu also have to factor in re-valving shocks as well if your doing +2 arms.

A decent set of arms will be $800-1200
Hipers- $ 850
MX Tires- $350 (4)
Good Nerf setup- $ 400
SHock Revalve- $250

Thanks well over $200, plus add on longer swinger, longer stem, wider axle to go with arm width, and some minor motorwork to keep up with the SX DOHC motor.

You'll have yourself a hefty bill

just my 02... Once you've built many race worthly machine as I have done, you get to realize all of the hidden costs to make a machine perform well on the track.

THanks, Jay

JM317
05-24-2008, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by xsr_racing28c
lb sa<

Hipers- $ 850
MX Tires- $350 (4)
Good Nerf setup- $ 400
SHock Revalve- $250

Thanks well over $200, plus add on longer swinger, longer stem, wider axle to go with arm width, and some minor motorwork to keep up with the SX DOHC motor.

just my 02... Once you've built many race worthly machine as I have done, you get to realize all of the hidden costs to make a machine perform well on the track.

THanks, Jay

I think he has a good point about being able to have a dual purpose quad, you really can buy several things alot cheaper than listed above.
You can buy an XC for $8,500 at several different dealers across the country.
Hipers - $680 shipped all day long for top of the line tech 3's from Highland's (bought mine last week)
MX Tires - $216 shipped for 4 Razr MX's from RMATV
KTM Full Nerfs - $245 from any KTM dealer
Shock Revalve - $175 from GT Thunder
KTM Extended Arms - $650 (Chromoly, so they're decent quality)

No axle needed, stock is chromoly and extends to 48", plus you can get different offset Hipers to go farther front and rear if you choose.

Bar risers can raise stem height - $20-80 depending on what you buy

As far as motorwork...
JD jetting - $75
HMF slipon (at least a 3hp gain) - $260

So $11,000 will get you enough parts for XC and MX, not a bad price for the amount of stuff.

TheNewn
05-26-2008, 12:39 AM
lb sa<

Hipers- $ 850
MX Tires- $350 (4)
Good Nerf setup- $ 400
SHock Revalve- $250

THanks, Jay

Wow, after market companies must just love you... Seems' like you'll pay just about anything.

A DECENT set of a-arms will be 800-1200 dollars? My god what are GREAT a-arms worth?

You can get A-arms for well under 800, Hipers all the way around dual bead lock in the back single in the front tech 3's for 660 shipped if you look, Nerf bars can be had for...LESS than 400 dollars. Try under 250 for heel guards built in and under 150 for JUST the nerfs.

For tires you can get Kenda's really cheap, like 55 bucks a tire.

As for revalving that's only a couple hundred as well.

This would make it BETTER than the SX, not on par. You'd have FULL hipers all the way around, and shocks valved for *YOU* not generic from the factory.

TheNewn
05-26-2008, 12:40 AM
12K for a quad?

...Oh hi Cannondale...

xsr_racing28c
05-26-2008, 10:45 AM
Well guys, I just look at it like your first investment is your best. I run Roll Design arms on my 450r's now. They are $1400 for a set of arms, but non the less top of the line!
For my 09 SX on order I've already got Walsh Flow Arms sitting here. They retail for $1150, and once I get my shocks I can be assured to have another $2700-3000 into them. ( PEP PB-1's or Custom Axis Pro Air fr/rr)

This is just my opinion, but I don't build things half a s s . I do them right the first time, so for all of you who go out and do the bare minimum to get through, thats fine. I just don't go that route.

Jay

JM317
05-26-2008, 01:14 PM
Well guys, I just look at it like your first investment is your best. I run Roll Design arms on my 450r's now. They are $1400 for a set of arms, but non the less top of the line!
For my 09 SX on order I've already got Walsh Flow Arms sitting here. They retail for $1150, and once I get my shocks I can be assured to have another $2700-3000 into them. ( PEP PB-1's or Custom Axis Pro Air fr/rr)

This is just my opinion, but I don't build things half a s s . I do them right the first time, so for all of you who go out and do the bare minimum to get through, thats fine. I just don't go that route.

Jay

My thoughts on that are if you are that good and need that kind of equipment to win, a factory team/sponsors will be paying for everything. Chances are alot of these guys using the "bare minimum" are racing at a higher level than you too, most notably GT Thunder sponsored riders racing on revalved factory shocks. Call it function over form.

TheNewn
05-26-2008, 02:42 PM
I wouldn't call spending less than 1100 dollars on just a pair of a-arms to be 'bare minimum' But i understand where you're coming from.

I just think there's a difference between "Do it once and do it right" and "buy the most expensive thing you can":ermm:

vAnS_77
05-26-2008, 07:45 PM
Ya see jay, when people build quads they don't realize price over quality. Totally agree jay.

RadekPL
05-27-2008, 02:27 PM
I think it'll be more reliable cos the SX-F450 dirt bike has the 12,5:1 comp piston and the engine in SX450 atv has the 11,9:1 :)

sheriff525
05-27-2008, 05:39 PM
I think we lost the idea of this post. After all has been said, it comes down to the SX and XC are really good quads and even though they have a heftier price, they come with some great stuff. So if that stuff works for you then you won. If it doesn't don't buy it.

I think what KTM is doing is great and it is about time. All the dirt bikes from the factory come with some great parts on them sometimes comparable to aftermarket and now KTM is just pushing that envelop in the ATV department. I hope the rest of the companies start to jump on the band wagon and do the same. It will only benifit the begginer and intermediate riders because we will get a better product. The racers....who cares they are going to change everything on it anyways!
(not to say the racers don't matter but stock is never enough!)

I just wish it came out before i bought my outlaw.

lb_sa
05-29-2008, 12:13 PM
Ditto JM317.

If I had to do it all over again, I would buy the XC again and purchase the needed parts for MX.

ACEwrench
05-29-2008, 12:41 PM
LOL

gnccguy
12-16-2008, 08:29 AM
well guys i have a 450 xc and my buddy just got an sx here r ur diffs the xc is ten pounds lighter than the sx yes thats right the xc is lighter. the steering stem on the xc is 10 millimeters taller than the sx and the seat on the xc is 5 mill thicker than the sx. the front shocks on the xc is 1/4in longer oh yea on that point the xc suposivley has almost an inch more travle in the rear. the air box lid set up is diff and the gas tank on the xc is 1gal biger on the xc 3.5 and the sx is 2.5. my xc starts a hole lot easyer. the sx's exhoust is slightly diff also. the sx uses shems to adjust the valves and the xc is a tappit design (oh nice and easy) oh yea the xc has reverse and the sx dont. as for riding and the power curv the xc hits hard low and carryes it through. u have to rev the sx sky high to have power. my xc has a dasa pipe i moved the c clip on the niddle down 1 notch and swaped the quick shot 2 off my honda to my ktm his bike is all stock of course and in a 100yard drag i come out of the hole in 3ed and have a bike lingeth on him the hole way. he starts th catch me b4 we shift. then i shift then pull away again through the gears. and the factory wide a arns from ktm r 600 at the dealer they say u dont need to re valve the xc shocks just move the pre load 2 notches down from stock 2 clicks harder on the compression and 2 out on the rebound the xc cone with the same axle as the sx so u move the shems in bord and ur 50in mine was 7,999 out the door and his was 10,500 as far as im consernd u spend 250 on nerfs 850 on hiper tech3s 240 on maxxis mx tires and 600 on the ktm a arms witch is 1940 bucks u take the other 100 bucks and thak the girl to dinner and enjoy the sx eatn xc that has revirse, easly adjustible valves, a proven motor not bran new design like the sx and b happy racen what u want xc or mx plus ul thay 4 spair tierod ends, ball joints and hymi joints with ur spair a arms

Sorry so long, Brad

PAPA K
12-17-2008, 02:17 PM
You could use some proof reading in your post. Good info thanks.