PDA

View Full Version : LSR frames ... any difference in years?

norcalduner
05-15-2008, 01:06 PM
Is there any difference in terms of frame design between all their years of production e.g. gusset locations, fitment issues, quality of welds, subframe accesories fitment :confused:

250Renvy
05-15-2008, 02:08 PM
There is a difference. The early frames are JP outlaw frames. They are characterized by their double circles up front, footpeg mounts and pro-peg mounts and extra rail from the upper shock mount.

The middle frames by LSR are easily identified by their straight radiator mount tube rail and criss cross front motor mount directly bolting into the frame the gussests were supposedly weaker and cracked more often, apparently had bad fitment issues and their

01 and newer frames are identifiable by their bent radiator mount rail as well as newer stock style front motor mount tabs. Otherwise most are the same design ie. standard front standard 250R link or No-link. The newer ones I believe have no fitment issues but this is all what I've heard as I've never owned an LSR.

Don't you own 2 or 3 LSR's though?

norcalduner
05-15-2008, 02:44 PM
Ya, I am currently running a 94 but it had been updated in 99 (mostly gussets). I had a 99 but sold it since it had TOO many cracks/rewelds . I also had a 2000 and but never had it long enough to inspect and compare for any differences. The ONLY thing that is common that I remember among these are that they can be run with either a link or no link set-up.

So the more desirable years are 01 and later, right ? Did they make the baja style on the earlier years.

havinnoj
05-15-2008, 03:47 PM
The "middle years" frames -- do we know when they began those?

Off the top of my head I believe my frame is a 2000. The only fitment problems I've ran into are: 1- lower pipe mount is forward by a few inches; fix with rubber and a 4" long spacer. 2- Top radiator L brackets don't sit completely flush against the radiator; no fix needed. 3- petcock; some time required for cutting and routing fuel lines from tank to avoid the kink from the sharp mounting position. 4- big spring on rear brake pedal doesn't sit tight against round tube; machine a spacer of size to hold tight. 5- (unrelated to above) brake pedal angle is too high; cut new threads on the brake body's pusher rod. 6- stock stem would not fit; grind off the step that is ment to sit below the clamp.

Rich250RRacer
05-15-2008, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by 250Renvy
There is a difference. The early frames are JP outlaw frames. They are characterized by their double circles up front, footpeg mounts and pro-peg mounts and extra rail from the upper shock mount.

The middle frames by LSR are easily identified by their straight radiator mount tube rail and criss cross front motor mount directly bolting into the frame the gussests were supposedly weaker and cracked more often, apparently had bad fitment issues and their

01 and newer frames are identifiable by their bent radiator mount rail as well as newer stock style front motor mount tabs. Otherwise most are the same design ie. standard front standard 250R link or No-link. The newer ones I believe have no fitment issues but this is all what I've heard as I've never owned an LSR.

Don't you own 2 or 3 LSR's though?

My '01 has the straight radiator tubes and the Z-bar front motor mount. It also has an upper rear motor mount, like the 88-89 stocker. Maybe it's an early model, before all the changes. There are definitely fitment issues with this chassis, to many to list. Two of the biggest are the subframe (silencer mount isn't anywhere near close), and the tank mounting. My '03 is so much better, you wouldn't think it was made by the same company.