PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a used 400ex

Rkangel7
05-14-2008, 08:09 PM
I'm on a budget and looking for a used 400ex, as they seem to be one of the best combinations of performance, reliability, and durability. The question is: How old is too old? I've found some '99 and '00 400ex's available locally, but at what point is age and wear negating any savings I would get by purchasing an older quad?

Wheelie
05-14-2008, 08:14 PM
IMO if the quad has been maintained, any year EX is good to get. A well maintained EX will run great for a long time. When you look at a machine, it will be obvious whether or not it has been well taken care of.

Speedy 400ex
05-14-2008, 08:16 PM
i have had my 00 for 6 or 7 months and it runs like a champ. it had only been desert riden but it sat for about a year or to i was told.

BigBore24
05-14-2008, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Wheelie
IMO if the quad has been maintained, any year EX is good to get. A well maintained EX will run great for a long time. When you look at a machine, it will be obvious whether or not it has been well taken care of.

x2. just looking it over really well will tell you all you need to know about previous owners. dont get forced into anything take your time and look everything over. i also have a 00, but previous owners werent so good to her. about a year later i have her back in great shape, every year ex is good

tri5ron
05-15-2008, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by Wheelie

x3
if it is a basically stock engine, and well maintained, it should give you years of good service.

aftermarket pipe, muffler, air filter, jetting,...
still no problem.

Any other accessories like nerfs, shocks, scoops, skid plates, handelbars, bumper, rims, tires, guards, twist throttle, a-arms, etc.,....
GREAT!, All the better!

bigger bores, cam,... start asking yourself why it needed to have that done to it? and how hard was it ridden?

Rkangel7
05-18-2008, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the advice!

I am definitely seeing what you mean when you say that you can tell if a quad has been taken care of or not. Unfortunately, it seems that most of the older EX's I've looked at have been thrashed within an inch of their lives. That, and no one seems to want to budge off of their asking prices. It is looking like money may be better spent on a couple years newer, with less hours on 'em.

BTW is squeaking from the steering stem area, just below the handle bars, common? Half of the EX's I've checked out seem to have this squeak.

NacsMXer
05-18-2008, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Rkangel7
Thanks for the advice!

I am definitely seeing what you mean when you say that you can tell if a quad has been taken care of or not. Unfortunately, it seems that most of the older EX's I've looked at have been thrashed within an inch of their lives. That, and no one seems to want to budge off of their asking prices. It is looking like money may be better spent on a couple years newer, with less hours on 'em.

BTW is squeaking from the steering stem area, just below the handle bars, common? Half of the EX's I've checked out seem to have this squeak.

The squeaking is extremely common but very simple to fix. The top stem "stay"/clamp has a green-looking bushing inside that rides against the stem. Water and dirt eventually find their way between the bushing and the stem causing the squeaking. All you have to do is unbolt the clamp, remove the bushing, clean all the dirt out, grease liberally, and reassemble ;)

redrider57
05-20-2008, 08:19 AM
I ride a 1999 400ex and got it about three years ago, but you should be able to tell how good of condition it is in just by looking at it and starting it. If you start it and it starts blowing blue smoke, obviously thats bad. You can ask them what kind of oil they have run in the engine as well as check the oil to see how dirty it is. I have rebuilt my 400 but I had a ton and a half hours on it.

There is no question that the 400ex is one of the best and most reliable quads ever built, so you are definitely looking in the right direction. Anyways, here are some my tips and good luck finding your 400.

Flyracer219
05-20-2008, 06:29 PM
i have an 01 400ex that is a 426, and it is the most reliable quad that i have ever had =]
unfortunately i need to sell it, as much it needs to go, i hate to see it leave.

Gatekeeper
05-20-2008, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
The squeaking is extremely common but very simple to fix. The top stem "stay"/clamp has a green-looking bushing inside that rides against the stem. Water and dirt eventually find their way between the bushing and the stem causing the squeaking. All you have to do is unbolt the clamp, remove the bushing, clean all the dirt out, grease liberally, and reassemble ;)
I just give mine a lil shot of PB blaster down the stay every few rides and no more squeakin