PDA

View Full Version : setting your tires bead.

MTDman11
05-14-2008, 05:01 PM
ok so i slashed my tire and had a spare set. so i didnt want to pay 30 dollars a tire to swap them so i cut them with wire cutters and a dremel. when i put it back on i put one of those cargo strap crank things u use to hold the atv in place. so i put it around the middle cranke dit and put about 80 psi in the tire. on both sides the bead sets most of the way but there is a section that it wont.

MTDman11
05-14-2008, 05:02 PM
what do i do to get it to set.

wilkin250r
05-14-2008, 05:08 PM
If 80psi doesn't do the trick, I'm not sure what will. You should be using only about 20psi.

When changing tires and seating the bead, you should always use lube. If you don't have any actual tire lube, a little bit of common soap and water will do the trick.

If you're bead still isn't set with 80psi, you may need to break the bead, lube it, and re-seat it.

John451
05-14-2008, 06:35 PM
wd-40 should work... or hairspray because it slips then sticks, i use it on grips.
** If all else fails... for jeep races they get it on, spray ether (starter fluid) in the tire and light it. I wouldnt do that with a new set thho.
My main advice is the wd-40 or hairspray, pump it up and if still nothing hit it with a hammer, it gets anger out AND gets the job done. Watch the bounce back tho!

below100hz
05-14-2008, 09:21 PM
hit it with a rubber mallet and bounce it a few times

MTDman11
05-15-2008, 04:52 AM
i hope i dont have to break the bead again, i ended up vutting my tires cause i couldnt brake the bead. im ganna try motor oil see if that helps.

05-15-2008, 07:02 AM
Use the poor mans way of breaking beads. I've seen this done and it does work...set tire in driveway. Apply an 18 inch long board or so in front of it. A sturdy one, like a 2x6 I'd say. Set it so it is like a ramp going onto the tire. Now drive your truck onto the board. It takes a partner to set it up and keep it perfect. But all you do is drive on it and all of a sudden the weight of a truck is on the bead area and it comes off.

brokedad
05-15-2008, 10:38 AM
IF YOU PUT 80PSI IN THEM YOU WILL RUIN THE TIRES.USE NO MORE THAN 25PSI OR YOU COULD GET SERIOUSLY INJURED.DONT USE OIL USE DISH SOAP OR WD 40 ONLY. OIL WILL ALLOW THEM TO SLIP ON THE RIM AND POP OFF THE BEAD AGAIN AT THE WORST TIME. IF THE BEAD IS NOT SET ALL THE WAY LET OUT THE AIR AND STEP ON THE SIDE IT SHOULD POP OFF SPRAY WD 40 OR DISH SOAP PU AIR IN IT AND WATCH YOUR EYES IT WILL SPRAY AT YOU.GOOD LUCK.ON ANOTHER SITE A SON WAS FILLING HIS ATV TIRES AND IT EXPLODED IN FRONT OF HIM KILLING HIM.

MTDman11
05-15-2008, 12:46 PM
im going to go try right now.