PDA

View Full Version : Can you guys help me jet and tune my bike?

dsm_racing
05-14-2008, 02:55 PM
I bought my bike a little over a year ago. It ran good when I bought it, and I've just been riding it and enjoying it, but I haven't really learned much about tuning it. I'm usually a fuel injection guy. Here are the current mods:

1999 400EX
12.5:1 Wiseco 440
LRD full exhaust
K&N filter w/ sock air box and lid

The bike came with a stock cam, and I don't know what the jets are. I run 100 octane av-gas in it and haven't had any problems.

I decided recently that I want to upgrade it a little. I purchased a Hotcams Stage 2 and I did the Outerwears lid mod. I went ahead and bought a jet kit when I ordered my cam.

My question is, how should I jet it and tune it once I get it running? I don't want to blow it up breaking the cam in, and I really don't know a thing about setting it to idle and run good with the carb adjustment screws. Does anyone have any links to good threads? I've spent hours searching and reading the forums and haven't gotten much more than a basic understanding of how things work and a headache. :huh

Edit: Oh yeah, I'm about 1000' above sea level.

zrpilot
05-15-2008, 11:48 AM
Upon break-in I would want a richer main and needle postion until your breakin is complete.

I'm assuming that you have a dynojet jet kit? If so, I'm sorry but I'm not as familar with those as I am with Keihen jets.

If it were Keihen, then I would run the following:

Main: 175-180 (probably rich)
and the needle on the 4th notch from the top.

dsm_racing
05-15-2008, 11:53 AM
I actually ordered a JMF jet kit from Rocky Mountain ATV.

Link (http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=80&navTitle=Intake%2FFuel&webCatId=16&brandId=99&prodFamilyId=4604#vehicleSelect)

madmax400ex
05-15-2008, 01:15 PM
FMF Jet kit is a dynojet kit - they are both the same.
there is a conversion chart somewhere here on a thread that shows the difference between companies and jet sizes. I tried a search for it, buy couldn't find it maybe you'll have better luck.

dsm_racing
05-15-2008, 03:03 PM
I've got that thread book marked.

Jetting conversion chart thread (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=344906&highlight=400ex+jetting)

BigBore24
05-15-2008, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by zrpilot
Upon break-in I would want a richer main and needle postion until your breakin is complete.

I'm assuming that you have a dynojet jet kit? If so, I'm sorry but I'm not as familar with those as I am with Keihen jets.

If it were Keihen, then I would run the following:

Main: 175-180 (probably rich)
and the needle on the 4th notch from the top.

right on. thats what i used to run with my stock carb. i would go 42 on the pilot as well may even need 45 but proly not

dsm_racing
05-16-2008, 07:21 AM
Do any of you guys have a link to a good thread that I could read to figure out what the different adjustments on the carb do and how to use them?