PDA

View Full Version : some kickstart thoughts.

blasterman
05-14-2008, 01:30 PM
ok so i just finished my conversion but was wondering if the 400ex needs to have the battery in to start because I know that some vehicles need a battery to start. If anyone could email me with any info that would be great my email is dsrrocks@aol.com

Nac's22
05-14-2008, 01:35 PM
so you actually did a kickstart converson on a 400ex? id like to see this and can you explain how it was done.

trx400EXtreme
05-14-2008, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by TRR440EX
so you actually did a kickstart converson on a 400ex? id like to see this and can you explain how it was done. X2

powermadd400ex
05-14-2008, 02:08 PM
there a thread about it in the 450r section for the 450er's
is this the same process?

400exMO
05-14-2008, 02:11 PM
I would not think you would need a battery. If you do not have any lights I would see no reason for it. Others chime in though I am uncertain.

Here's the conversion for you^
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=293068&highlight=kickstart

blasterman
05-14-2008, 10:20 PM
I can get some pics up later but is basicly just the finished product. I was able to find all the kickstart parts for about 200$ used. It's not that hard you just need to concentrate on it and make sure you do everything the right way. I have yet to start it yet but it kicks over fine. I can't wait to see the improvements. So because I don't have the batt. I cant use lights? is that what your saying?

400exMO
05-14-2008, 10:31 PM
I'm not really that sure now that I think about it more. If you were to run the lights straight off the stator or something they might be functional then.
I am trying to think of mechanisms that on the 400ex that need the battery to operate. Only thing I can think of really is the starter.
When you have a dead battery and you push start the quad it continues to run with no battery because the stator would give the coil energy to run the spark. But I can not remember if your lights would work after push starting a quad with a dead battery.
I am just brainstorming hoping someone will come along behind me and give more definite answers. Hope I am helping.

You really need to do a detailed write up on this mod. It is something that has been touched but no one really wrote any good information about it. When you get the bike running and test ride it let me know how it performed.

DementeD
05-14-2008, 10:32 PM
u dont need a batt for it to run with a kick start..

tri5ron
05-15-2008, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by DementeD
u dont need a batt for it to run with a kick start..

This is true, BUT...
if you try to run your lights, you will end up burning out all the bulbs.
this is because the power from the stator will have spikes in the voltage at various rpms,... and therefore, when it spikes high, you'll most likely fry the bulb filaments.

your battery acts sort of like an "electrical shock absorber", in reguards to these power spikes.

the battery can handle the momentary spikes from the stator, with no problem, ....But, with no battery in the system, the spikes can not be absorbed, and will go straight to the bulbs, and burn them out.

hope this makes sense.

dustin_j
05-15-2008, 07:06 AM
Isn't that what the voltage regulator is for? Or is it not wired up to work in that manner? The way I read the wiring diagram is that the stator/alternator is connected straight to the regulator, so the battery only supplies voltage and then recharges. I'm by no means sure on this (electrical is not my specialty:confused: ), but maybe a 450r kicker wiring diagram will tell you what you need. You could probably look at both a 450r and 450er diagrams to see what to change on your 400ex. Good luck, and yes do a writeup when you are finished. Only $200? I'd love to have a kicker:D

blasterman
05-15-2008, 07:07 AM
Then how can the xr400 run lights? Isn't that what the voltage regulator is for? And the only thing i can think of is that maybe the cdi needs power but that may come from the stator. xr400 and 400ex are identical I don't see why it wouldn't start with out the batt.

400exMO
05-15-2008, 06:29 PM
I think it will start without the battery. I think lights might be the problem.
Find a xr wiring diagram and see what's different.
Lets see the pics!

CSR400EX
05-15-2008, 09:32 PM
i dont think the lights will work like they did before. i have had my ground strap break off on the trail at night on my ol 400, and when i touched it to the frame to start it my lights got dimmer, but they worked ok, but not like they should. you may need a higher output stator to run lights

400exMO
05-16-2008, 03:18 PM
I do not think he would need a bigger stator. The stock stator was plenty to keep the battery charged running the lights. With stock lights he should be fine.
You may also look into a condensor.
found this- http://www.motoinfo.yoyo.pl/Honda/Honda%20XR400R.gif

Hondamaster5505
05-16-2008, 06:31 PM
Whoever said that the spikes of the stator will blow the bulbs, no.

The banshee, blaster, 250r, and most other two-strokes have lights that run off the stator. Becuase they're kickstart, they don't need the battery, so the lights run off the stator.

Now, with and aftermarket stator on the 400ex, the lights should be just as bright as with the battery. Just like aftermarket on the banshee's.

CSR400EX
05-16-2008, 09:00 PM
i got a good idea, someone with a extra minute go start their 40 and take off one of the battery cables and tell us if the lights stay bright.

blasterman
05-20-2008, 06:39 AM
I'm just waiting to finish my front end and put oil in then I should be ready to start it. I'm not going to fab. the kickstart yet to try it I'll just have someone tow me down the road. As soon as its done I'll post info. I'm gunna race my friends stock 400 and all I have is a filter and kickstart and we wanna see who wins.

justin1022
05-29-2008, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by CSR400EX
i got a good idea, someone with a extra minute go start their 40 and take off one of the battery cables and tell us if the lights stay bright.

ya man this might make me seam really cheap but last yr about half way though the yr my 400 broke the ground cable so i rode it and they are dim then brighten up as u rev it with no batery i rode it like that all half of last yrs riding season and still dont got a new one in i just drilled a hole in what was left of the post then put a wire though and put it under the ground cable screw on the frame and it works fine but ya it gets brighter and dimmer as u rev it kidna like a ski-doo. and the bulbs didnt burn out