PDA

View Full Version : Oil Tank Problems

tinbndr
05-14-2008, 11:34 AM
I was in the process of changing oil in my recently purchased 400 ex. I went to loosen the tank drain and twisted the whole end out of the tank:eek2:

I have ordered a new tank and have calmed down now but my question is there some way to prevent this from happening. It doesnt appear there is any way to hold the end like a backup wrench. Can you apply anti seize to the plug? I didn't put it in that tight so I know it had to have been overtightened.

TIA

400ex28
05-14-2008, 12:28 PM
I've never had problems with the stock oil tank, just dont tighten it up real hard and you'll be alright.

ozzies450
05-14-2008, 06:34 PM
this has also happend to me.

AtvMxRider
05-14-2008, 06:54 PM
Did you warm the engine up before you drained the oil?

my88r
05-14-2008, 07:40 PM
yep, you don't need to wrench the bolts down. i haven't had a problem with mine. but i haven't been riding it.

tinbndr
05-15-2008, 06:18 AM
yeah i warmed up the engine before i drained it. Thanks for the input;)

NacsMXer
05-15-2008, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by ozzies450
this has also happend to me.

Me too...it's not uncommon for this to happen. That area where the threaded "neck" meets the bottom of the oil tank is a thin/weak junction it seems.

I twisted the whole shabang right out of the bottom of my tank years ago. I took it to a local boat shop that did heliarc welding and had them weld the neck back on and really beef up the welds around it. It's like 10X stronger than stock now and I haven't had a problem since :D

You don't need to order a new tank....just take it to someone who is proficient at welding aluminum and have them beef it up like I did. It's not worth the cost of an entire new tank when you can have it fixed better than the original for less. Plus the new tank is going to have the same weakness that you started with...just my .02 for ya ;)

tinbndr
05-15-2008, 11:23 AM
Thats a great idea Nacs, But i also twisted the nipple out of the top of the tank trying to get the top hose off...... P.O.S. went flying at that point.
I think I will use your suggestion and have the drain beefed up before I reinstall it all.

Thanks

lilhouskey
05-15-2008, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by tinbndr
...... P.O.S. went flying at that point......

Ha ha ha I love it

Pappy
05-15-2008, 04:55 PM
The newer tanks have an added plate welded to where the drain bung is, this is very very very common