PDA

View Full Version : Modifying A-Arms question

quadfamily
11-27-2002, 08:05 PM
Hey everyone. As many of you already know I have stock 400EX a-arms on my 300EX. I've been wanting to modify them though. I want to cut off either the upper or lower ball joints and install aftermarket ones so I can adjust camber. My question is should I change the lower or upper ball joints? The lowers seem to be somewhat bigger than the uppers. I have a set of 250X a-arms with bolt on upper ball joints that I could use the ball joints from if I decide to modify the upper arms. Has anyone done this??

Sick0
11-28-2002, 10:08 AM
I wouldn't try this mod. If you don't know what you are doing you could hurt your self, have a poor riding quad, or have wasted a pair of a-arms.

Sick0
11-28-2002, 10:10 AM
bump

muff
11-28-2002, 10:17 AM
whats with the bump? you just posted it like a minute ago lol

anyways I wouldn't risk messing up a set of a-arms, if it works good now then don't mess with it, if you do put the other ball joints on it'd would get a lot of stress where you welded it

Sick0
11-28-2002, 03:18 PM
bump

quadfamily
11-28-2002, 09:35 PM
Muff, what would I be welding?? I would just be cutting off the original and slipping a replacement in. The original is hollow inside. The only thing I can think of that I may need to weld is maybe a sleeve if the inside diameter is not compatable with the ball joint. Sicko, If it doesn't ride good I could just adjust it until it does. I'm only going to change the camber with this mod. I honestly don't see what it could hurt. Anyway, can someone answer my question regarding modifying the upper vs. the lower a-arm?? Thanks!

muff
11-28-2002, 09:51 PM
oh ok, i see what you're doing, i thought you were gonna cut of the ball joint part of the a-arm and weld a new bracket and everything on, what you're planning to do sounds like a good idea then, i'm sorry I can't help you out with the ball joint though

i think you only need to be able to adjust the camber at the top, you could do it on both, but you only need to do it on one (uppers or lowers), and since you have the upper ball joints already just go with those

hope I helped

300EXrider02
11-29-2002, 08:49 PM
was getting 400ex a-arms on a 300ex hard? wut did u do for shocks?

Tommy 17
11-29-2002, 08:58 PM
talk to beerock... i remember him sayin he has a machine that cuts them off so u can pc stock a-arms and them put aftermarket style on....

quadfamily
11-29-2002, 09:40 PM
Muff,
No problem man. I probably didn't explain it well enough at first. Now it seems like more people understand what I want to do!

300EXrider,
Do a search on the topic, I've got a thread about it from a while back with some good info and there are other threads too.

Tommy,
Thanks, I'll ask Beerock about it.

If anyone else has information about this please respond. Thanks!

11-29-2002, 09:51 PM
It can be done..I have done
it several times ..
welding the sleeve,& getting proper location for it is key..
I used a machine shop to build the sleeve , they worked fine ..

stocktires
11-29-2002, 10:43 PM
Couldnt you just buy 86 250r top arms? They have adjustable ball-joints and are the same lenght of the 400ex arms I think...
Try and find 86 (and maybe 87 i think) 250r top arms!

11-29-2002, 11:01 PM
the top ball joint is the one you'd need to cut. i am not sure who you could go to for ball joints. but any aftermarket ones could be used. try to find the one with the largest stud just for strenght purpose. have fun

11-30-2002, 05:50 AM
many places have balljoints,. or pm me
& I'll let ya know where
to check