PDA

View Full Version : Chain gettin caught up in fr sprocket and comin off rear

HORSTA
05-14-2008, 08:35 AM
Lately when iv been ridin my chain either comes off the rear and gets caught up in the front or vise versa. It always happens when landin from a jump.
Any body know wot the problem could be. Any help would be appriated

Thumper400EX
05-14-2008, 09:22 AM
I know exactly...I had the same problem about a week ago...you need a good chain...get at leat an o-ring preferably an x-ring...than here is the important part... adjust your slack agjuster as far foword as possible than cut the chain to fit...remember little end to little end...than put your chain on and...WITH YOU ON THE SEAT... have someone to adjust the slack control so that the chain only moves 1/2 inch up and 1/2 inch down...no more that 1 inch total movement of chain with you on the seat...thats very important...also check to make sure that you havent got any teeth missing from either sproket...btw i hope that you had a case saver...I learned the hard way that no matter how stupid they look that YOU NEED THEM...hope this helps and good uck...also let me know the outcome :cool:

NacsMXer
05-14-2008, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by HORSTA
Lately when iv been ridin my chain either comes off the rear and gets caught up in the front or vise versa. It always happens when landin from a jump.
Any body know wot the problem could be. Any help would be appriated

A bad rear bearing carrier often causes this to happen....even if the chain is tight to begin with. Lift up on your rear end and try to shake it side to side, up/down, etc. Look for any play in the bearing carrier.

John451
05-14-2008, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Thumper400EX
I know exactly...I had the same problem about a week ago...you need a good chain...get at leat an o-ring preferably an x-ring...than here is the important part... adjust your slack agjuster as far foword as possible than cut the chain to fit...remember little end to little end...than put your chain on and...WITH YOU ON THE SEAT... have someone to adjust the slack control so that the chain only moves 1/2 inch up and 1/2 inch down...no more that 1 inch total movement of chain with you on the seat...thats very important...also check to make sure that you havent got any teeth missing from either sproket...btw i hope that you had a case saver...I learned the hard way that no matter how stupid they look that YOU NEED THEM...hope this helps and good uck...also let me know the outcome :cool:

yeah, i was gona say exactly what he was sayin but i was gona say make sure the front one is balanced and not wobbling in and out, rear bearing carrier, make sure that the sprocket doesnt have a big spacer lip on the sprocket facing the engine, this will move it off to the left and it will fall off. But most likely your chain is too tight.

HORSTA
05-15-2008, 11:45 AM
Thanx for the help guys, gonna be tryin the stuff out this weekend.

Gone threw 2 carriers already and onto my second case saver, running a D.I.D x-ring chain so hopefully i can get things rite by the next national.

Thumper400EX
05-16-2008, 07:01 AM
I hope that you get it fixed...I know how it is to not be able to ride:mad: But if you have paitance and keep your kool than you will be able to find the problem...with no problem at all. Good Luck Man! :p

HORSTA
05-19-2008, 12:27 PM
Think i found the prob. Looked closely at the rear end of the bike and noticed that the rear sprocket was screwed, last time i use an aluminium one.