PDA

View Full Version : Pivot bearing removal?

Iliketogofast
05-13-2008, 02:21 PM
I've had about all that I can take with this and it still isn't out.

On one side I gave up on trying to beat it out from the other side and I started trying to destroy it from the side it goes in on. I managed to get everything else out except for some scraps from the outer race which are still rusted onto the aluminum.

Does anyone know how I can get his one and the other side out? Is it possible to drill it out?

If I drill too much can't I just put a brass bushing inside or what?

Any ideas, even the most extreme, are accepted.

deathman53
05-13-2008, 04:49 PM
first, heat the swingarm to make it expand. They try to hit the bearing out. If not, take a 18" socket(something you don't care about) and hit it through both bearings. You will have a little bit of the bearings left. Take a socket that is just big enough and hit that through. That has worked for me in the past. Did you try and bring it to a machine shop to be pressed out? You might want to do that first.

Aceman
05-13-2008, 04:53 PM
I have a few ideas, I haven't replaced the swinger bearings yet so I don't know what the inside of the pivot tube looks like, if there's a shoulder, etc. With all methods, the race should be well soaked with penetrating oil and heating it with a torch never hurts either. Starting with the easiest first:

1. Die grinder to ream through one side of the race. Once it's loose pull it out.

2. Sawzall to cut a slit down one side or both, compress the race and pull it out.

3. Use the exact size drill bit to match the pivot tube bore and drill the race out.

4. Expandable reamer, insert the reamer, and make a few rotations. Keep expanding until you've completely removed the race.

Rip_Tear
05-13-2008, 04:57 PM
Get a press, I will be doing mine as soon as I get my swinger back from the welder. I bought a 20ton hand press for 200$ makes removing bearings etc soo much easier, besides it's the proper way.

Iliketogofast
05-13-2008, 05:11 PM
I have a press, but the inner race just pushes out and the outer race stays corroded to the swinger.

The reamer idea is the most appealing to me. It will be the best way to remove the rest of the material from the one side.

A drillbit sounds great and that was my original idea. I have the end cap that I could use to get an exact size bit. But after talking to my dad it, he says that it would be nearly impossible to get it without getting into the aluminum.

Iliketogofast
05-13-2008, 05:20 PM
Also, on the 88/89 (what mine is) there is a shoulder in there that the bearing stops up against. It makes it that much more difficult to get them out...

Fear250r
05-13-2008, 09:22 PM
I'm still in the same situation myself with an '88 swinger. I can see pieces of the needle bearing and the races still inside. I honestly don't see how the hell they're going to come out. I was also thinking about having my buddy take it to his machine shop and drill into it. I just don't see any other way. The old bearings are so corroded that I don't think heat is going to do much at this point.

86 Quad R
05-14-2008, 10:37 AM
lol you guys are making this waay too hard.

if there is any of the lip outter race left then you need to simply heat up the swinger real good and then use a totally flat drive bar and knock them out. on the other hand. if you've managed to knock off the lip of the outter race then you are going to need to use a die grinder and a small cutting bit to cut the race. afterwards the race will slide right on out. :cool:

Iliketogofast
05-14-2008, 12:49 PM
Actually the outer race won't come out. It is corroded to the aluminum.

I have been beating at it with a sharpened screwdriver to the point that whole chunks are missing but there are still pieces clinging on for dear life. I'm going to have to take a dremel and a sanding wheel and sand them off I think.

86 Quad R
05-14-2008, 01:05 PM
yuppers!!!